Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

We went to Northside Grille on Sunday night, and were very pleased.

First off, we were pleased that they are open on Sundays until midnight, just like any other night. We don't go out a lot on Sunday nights for dinner, but whenever we do we end up having to change plans a few times before we find an open restaurant (kind of like trying to eat out on Mondays).

They were busy, but not slammed. A good crowd, especially for a Sunday night at 7:00.

Everything was good -- the food, the service, the drinks. Nothing spectacular or too unusual for a local grill, but everything was well executed.

A couple of other points:

1) The restaurant is non-smoking.

2) The patio is not open yet. They are still wrangling with permits, I believe, and we were told that they expect to have it open in about 3 months.

It helps that it is only a couple of blocks from home, too. :)

Damn....another Starbucks in the city?!

Not as good as a locally owned shop, but better than a shuttered store front in the Slip, IMO.

I notice despite all the clamor against chains such as Starbucks, they always seem to liven up the areas in which they situate. One recently opened in a vacant ground floor shop of my building and foot traffic is getting even more horrendous!

I never buy coffee from them, but they do have a delicious slice of lemon pound cake for $2.25.mmmmm!

Thanks for this update on NORTHSIDE GRILL, nhughes.

A couple of my old lady friends had lunch (wraps) there a few days ago and agree with your comments. I believe they said there is an attractive bar in the middle of the room.

Edited by burt

Not as good as a locally owned shop, but better than a shuttered store front in the Slip, IMO.

I notice despite all the clamor against chains such as Starbucks, they always seem to liven up the areas in which they situate. One recently opened in a vacant ground floor shop of my building and foot traffic is getting even more horrendous!

I never buy coffee from them, but they do have a delicious slice of lemon pound cake for $2.25.mmmmm!

You're right about that. I certainly wouldn't complain if they were moving into a building that I manage.

I think Starbucks is more of a symbol of the "evil corporate empire", so it's a target for all of us that try our best to support the little guy. I won't say that I don't ever go to Starbucks, just don't tell anyone. :)

You're right about that. I certainly wouldn't complain if they were moving into a building that I manage.

I think Starbucks is more of a symbol of the "evil corporate empire", so it's a target for all of us that try our best to support the little guy. I won't say that I don't ever go to Starbucks, just don't tell anyone. :)

I was showing company around near the Bottom a weekend or two ago and somebody wanted coffee on a Sunday afternoon. We went over to Triple Crossing which was closed even though they had a sign on the sidewalk (very confusing!!). Starbucks is very good for the neighborhood IMO and will be open on Sunday's!

I was showing company around near the Bottom a weekend or two ago and somebody wanted coffee on a Sunday afternoon. We went over to Triple Crossing which was closed even though they had a sign on the sidewalk (very confusing!!). Starbucks is very good for the neighborhood IMO and will be open on Sunday's!

Don't forget Southern RR Deli on future excursions, JSI. It's open on Sundays, too.

Good news! Due to strong business, Papa Ningo (one of my favorites!) will be expanding into a larger space next door which will allow them to add a dance floor. They'll encourage patrons to stick around after dinner to dance.

Where is Papa Ningo's located? I havent heard of this before...

That's awesome about Papa Ningo!

I love that place.

The wife and I go there fairly often being that Dominican food is fairly similar to Puerto Rican food and Richmond has yet to have a decent restaurant offering Puerto Rican cuisine.

Any news on the Dueling Pianos bar that was announced for the former Moondance space on 17th?

And how about the Bistro that took over the old ZUPPA space on the west side of 18th near Franklin? I think it is run by a couple of really young men -- like ages 23 and 21, one of whom trained at Johnson Wales and the other has cooked in cafes all over the country.

That's awesome about Papa Ningo!

I love that place.

The wife and I go there fairly often being that Dominican food is fairly similar to Puerto Rican food and Richmond has yet to have a decent restaurant offering Puerto Rican cuisine.

Welcome, Impaq.

Have you tried out RANCH on Brook Road near your new neighborhood?

Burt, you're talking about Bistro 204.. I haven't been but I've passed by on my way to Zuppa recently. A close friend of mine knows one of the guys that run the place.

Anyways, can't wait to check out the bigger and better Papa Ningo when it's finished! The food is excellent.

Burt, you're talking about Bistro 204.. I haven't been but I've passed by on my way to Zuppa recently. A close friend of mine knows one of the guys that run the place.

Anyways, can't wait to check out the bigger and better Papa Ningo when it's finished! The food is excellent.

Ten block walk to Papa's... hmm, I will put on my dancing shoes then.

Any news on the Dueling Pianos bar that was announced for the former Moondance space on 17th?

I think they are calling it Deuces Wild, and it should be open within the next month or so, from what I understand.

Also, BPM (Beats Per Minute) will be opening in the old Tonic Thai space at 14 North 18th Street. It will be a club that features DJs that not only spin music, but do the same with videos. It's something that's big in NYC, Las Vegas, etc.

On the same note, the space at the corner of 18th and Main is being fully renovated and will be opening under the name "Goodfellas".

They are all from the same owner of Big Daddy's, in a concerted effort to bring the Bottom back to it's former splendor -- and hitting new heights. :)

nhughes, in April workmen were constructing something in the building next door to Big Daddy's. Goodfellows is even beyond that on Main at the corner of 18th. Is he (Washington, I believe is his name) going to have one large complex all the way from Big Daddy's to the corner?

Can't wait to check out all the new places; Goodfellows, BPM, Deuces Wild and the new Papa Ningos.

Sounds like the Bottom is jumping and that the entire entertainment/bar/restaurant/concert hall scene in downtown is thriving. Vault, under Bank, may also open soon, too. :alc:

Thanks for the info nhughes. BPM and Deuces Wild sound like they will be unique to the area and should be a big draw as long as they spread the word. Also looking forward to the new Goodfellas. It's supposed to be more upscale compared to the original version there and Burt, as far as I'm aware that will be one big complex. On a Bottom related note, I was strolling down 17th the other day and noticed one of the buildings that has been vacant for a while has a permit in the window and there appears to be construction going on inside. Sorry I don't have any details but perhaps someone here knows what I'm talking about? Things are definitely looking up for the Bottom these days. Now if the City could only get off its butt and help out with road, sidewalk, and other aesthetic issues this could be the hot spot it was and more within a year or so.