Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

I end up at the Nile once every 2-3 months. The new owners haven't changed much that I can tell (being a novice Ethiopian diner), but everything has always been good. The only gripe I had was how slow everything was the last time I went. To take a positive spin on it -- you are there for the experience, so sit back and enjoy the time that you have to catch up with old friends.

A couple of pointers:

1) keep on top of the waitstaff about your drink(s)

2) take a group so you have plenty of people to talk to while you're waiting for your food

3) time it so that you're not hungry when you first arrive

I do love it there, though, otherwise I wouldn't continue going back every couple of months.

nh, I was a surprised as you by the Travel + Leisure ranking of Virginia's wine and, I have to say, just as skeptical. When Virginia outranks France and California in wine quality, I think one has to take it with serious doubt.

The rankings were of up and coming destinations, not including already recognized wine destinations such as Burgundy, Tuscany and Napa Valley. Other regions included Parts of Italy, Chile, Spain and New Zealand. There are now about 130 Virginia wineries, producing the full spectrum in quality from 'Boone's Farmesque' to shining examples of syrah, cabernet, merlot, muscat, chardonnay, viognier etc. Pinot Noir and Zinfendel are rare and unimpressive in VA - the climate is too wet for those grapes. The magazine visited only vineyards around Charlottesville and Nova -a mistake in my opinion, because the terroir of the plateau southwest of Roanoke is unique and in my opinion superior, due to the lower humidity and higher elevations (highest in the state) and therefore, cooler temperatures. My three favorites from this region are Amhrien's, Villa Appalacia and Valhalla. Better known Chateau Morrisette is also in the region but is much more commercial and less impressive IMO. Although they've produced a high percentage of lower quality sweeter blends, some of their reserves are pretty good, and their facilities provide a great scenic destination.

Edited by mclawsdrive

The rankings were of up and coming destinations, not including already recognized wine destinations such as Burgundy, Tuscany and Napa Valley. Other regions included Parts of Italy, Chile, Spain and New Zealand.

Ahhh...that makes more sense. Thanks. I couldn't find the original article from the magazine to see what their parameters for judging were.

That certainly is a fine and unexpected endorsement for ZED. Isn't it also a Spa?

I just read an article in "West Ends Best" over the weekend that was all about ZED. It's owned by the same people that own the spa next door to ZED.

Oh, and the article said that ZED only uses organic, locally-grown ingredients. If it isn't possible to use organic and locally-grown, then they make sure the ingredients are "clean" -- not necessarily organic, but better than what you would find in the usual marketplace.

I wish I had the article here in front of me so that I could give more detailed info -- but there's the general info.

The rankings were of up and coming destinations, not including already recognized wine destinations such as Burgundy, Tuscany and Napa Valley. Other regions included Parts of Italy, Chile, Spain and New Zealand. There are now about 130 Virginia wineries, producing the full spectrum in quality from 'Boone's Farmesque' to shining examples of syrah, cabernet, merlot, muscat, chardonnay, viognier etc. Pinot Noir and Zinfendel are rare and unimpressive in VA - the climate is too wet for those grapes. The magazine visited only vineyards around Charlottesville and Nova -a mistake in my opinion, because the terroir of the plateau southwest of Roanoke is unique and in my opinion superior, due to the lower humidity and higher elevations (highest in the state) and therefore, cooler temperatures. My three favorites from this region are Amhrien's, Villa Appalacia and Valhalla. Better known Chateau Morrisette is also in the region but is much more commercial and less impressive IMO. Although they've produced a high percentage of lower quality sweeter blends, some of their reserves are pretty good, and their facilities provide a great scenic destination.

I love a good Villa Appalacia... brings back good memories of living in Blacksburg...

I love a good Villa Appalacia... brings back good memories of living in Blacksburg...

You know - as many times as I've been there - I have yet to play Bocce. They also sometimes have olive oil there, really good stuff from Italy I guess. Olives groves don't do to well in Virginia, especially in the mountains.

Friends, remember when reading Dana's review below it is NOT of the OLD ORIGINAL BOOKBINDER'S in Tobacco Row. On my visits I was impressed by the service at the elegant downtown location as well as presentation and preparation.

I've never been to the suburban store, but I trust Dana when she says it doesn't stack up to expectations.

Two stars by Dana.

Tab for two: $81 (I think Dana and her parties are on the wagon, unless the TD is not paying for booze anymore. ;))

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/enter...07-19-0025.html

Edited by burt

Tab for two: $81 (I think Dana and her parties are on the wagon, unless the TD is not paying for booze anymore. ;))

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/enter...07-19-0025.html

Ha. Come on now, what's dinner without drinks?

I was reading Your Two Cents in the Sunday Commentary section recently, and I noticed someone wrote in "complaining" that the restaurant reviews shouldn't include anything but the cost for food since some people drink, others don't and people tip differently. Something about sticker shock turning away those who don't drink, etc.

I noticed the tab for two "decreased" after that. The parens beside the cost just says food and tax now. Maybe they read the Two Cents thing and changed the reported tab.

Has anyone heard anything good about KARSEN'S in Carytown? All I've heard is that it's expensive. I think it opened last week.

Edited by checkplease

Ha. Come on now, what's dinner without drinks?

I was reading Your Two Cents in the Sunday Commentary section recently, and I noticed someone wrote in "complaining" that the restaurant reviews shouldn't include anything but the cost for food since some people drink, others don't and people tip differently. Something about sticker shock turning away those who don't drink, etc.

I noticed the tab for two "decreased" after that. The parens beside the cost just says food and tax now. Maybe they read the Two Cents thing and changed the reported tab.

Has anyone heard anything good about KARSEN'S in Carytown? All I've heard is that it's expensive. I think it opened last week.

If they are going to do that with the drinks, maybe they should have two totals -- one with the extras, and one without.

As for KARSEN'S -- I haven't heard anything about it at all. Talk about a soft opening! (meaning that they don't publicize the opening, so that they can get the kinks worked out before they have a "grand opening")

Good explanation cplease, and good suggestion nh.

KARSEN'S???? It rings bells in the back of my head. I think it has been discussed in these pages Where is it located in Carytown and what is its specialty?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Dining Out Scene thread has had over 70,000 hits, is now the second most accessed topic on UP/Richmond, and is within a couple hundred hits of the leading thread -- Richmond Developments.

I guess people like to read about eating out as well as learning and contributing news of restaurants bars and clubs.

Richmond.com's Eat Beat has plenty of information on new restaurants

http://richmond.com/dining/output.aspx?Art...&position=1

Info on Karsen's

Karsen's: After months of anticipation and a lot of foodie hype, Karsen's restaurant in Carytown opened its doors this month. The American grill spot, owned and operated by a trio of former Zeus Gallery staff (Chef Mac McCrowell, Jeanne Strong and Laura Foster), is still getting its legs but the early buzz is a resounding "Yum!" The eclectic menu is heavy on seafood, with entrees like tuna, scallops, lobster and crab cakes, plus there is a smattering of landlocked entrees and fresh salads, all made with the freshest ingredients. The European-inspired patio is the perfect spot for dining on a cool summer night, enjoying a crisp bottle of white wine or just a great place to unwind and be seen. Open for dinner daily. Entrees are priced in the mid-20s.

3411 W. Cary St.

(804) 353-5277

TBurban has told us that in addition to Whole Foods, a Wachovia branch, REI and Old Navy will be future tenants of West Broad Village. Another announced tenant is Blue Tulip. Anybody know what that is?

Two hotels are planned but not firm.

And two restaurants have signed up: MiMi's Cafe and the National seafood chain, MCCORMICK & SCHMICK'S.

West Broad Village, for you suburban haters, is between West Broad Street and Three Chopt Road just west of the I-64 interchange beyond Innsbrook.

Edited by burt

Richmond.com's Eat Beat has plenty of information on new restaurants

http://richmond.com/dining/output.aspx?Art...&position=1

Info on Karsen's

We strolled by there after eating at CARYTOWN SUSHI last night (great overall -- we stuck with the sushi, but the menu was crafted to invite you to try their other dishes, as well). I don't know how I missed it being built-out, but there it was with a classy patio and slam packed with people. Now that I've seen the Richmond.com mention, I do remember a similar blurb about a month ago.

Seriously, though, did anyone really hear "buzz" about it? It looks like maybe I was the only one that hadn't heard about it, judging from the packed patio. <_<

We strolled by there after eating at CARYTOWN SUSHI last night (great overall -- we stuck with the sushi, but the menu was crafted to invite you to try their other dishes, as well). I don't know how I missed it being built-out, but there it was with a classy patio and slam packed with people. Now that I've seen the Richmond.com mention, I do remember a similar blurb about a month ago.

Seriously, though, did anyone really hear "buzz" about it? It looks like maybe I was the only one that hadn't heard about it, judging from the packed patio. <_<

It's been discussed somewhere in this thread, but like when trying to find previous mention of ZED in Lakeside, I just didn't have the time to dig thru all these pages. I wish we had a system to quickly pull up previous mentions of restaurants.

HIGHWATER, the planned restaurant in the Lady Bird Hat building that will share space with the up-and-running Toads Place is not yet open. Sources tell me that it will be in opertion by September.

nHughes went to a concert last night at Toads, and I'm hoping he'll have news to share.

HIGHWATER, the planned restaurant in the Lady Bird Hat building that will share space with the up-and-running Toads Place is not yet open. Sources tell me that it will be in opertion by September.

nHughes went to a concert last night at Toads, and I'm hoping he'll have news to share.

Posted about TOAD'S PLACE under the Toad's Place thread just a few minutes ago. (but I know burt already knows that) :)

Urban Planet poster TimJH is visiting Richmond from his home in West Newbury, MA, and in additon to seeking places to see, wants recommendations for at least two Richmond restaurants. He expresses preferences for seafood, Thai, Southwest/Mexican but is open to all suggestions.

And if anyone can suggest wineries in the Potomac region, Tim would appreciate it.

Time, come on over here and stir up the disciussion.

I'll bet a quarter checkplease and nhughes, among others, will have ideas.

Edited by burt

Urban Planet poster TimJH is visiting Richmond from his home in West Newbury, MA, and in additon to seeking places to see, wants recommendations for at least two Richmond restaurants. He expresses preferences for seafood, Thai, Southwest/Mexican but is open to all suggestions.

And if anyone can suggest wineries in the Potomac region, Tim would appreciate it.

Time, come on over here and stir up the disciussion.

I'll bet a quarter checkplease and nhughes, among others, will have ideas.

Yeah, I saw he was asking about Thai restaurants. You go to to "Little Thailand", aka Carytown -- THAI DINER II, MOM'S SIAM, or GINGER. (formerly on the list would be THAI CURRY HOUSE, but that's been sold and undergoing renovations)

For Mexican, I would suggest the authentic places along Midlothian. It has been a while since I've been out there, but if I remember correctly LA MILPA was excellent.

Speaking Latin food and seafood places, has anyone heard anything about PESCADOS? I saw it on Richmond.com when I did a search for Mexican restaurants in Midlothian. The entry says that they serve "Latin-inspired seafood".

When was Thai Curry House sold? That's my favorite one of all and I ate there just two weeks ago.

I've heard several folks rave about Pescados, but haven't been there myself.

PESCADOS is THE best! It's hidden in Midlothian and not a lot of people know about it. Some clueless woman over at Richmond.com slammed it, but it is excellent. I recommend the crab nachos (enough to feed 6) and the voodoo shrimp. They also have a $14.95 portion of the menu with stuff like tilapia tacos.

It looks like a beach bar inside (brightly colored, casual), but the food is anything but. It's actually kinda pricey but worth every penny. They have an enchilada with crab cakes and jumbo shrimp inside. Insanely good. Also, most entrees are served with saffron potato cakes. Truly addictive.

It's not really "Mexican" at all. The specials are along the lines of Limani's exotic catches (loup de mer, opah, escolar, etc.). And you have to try the avocado tart for dessert. The chef's wife makes it. Yum.

OK, Tim. Both checkplease and nhughes recommend PESCADOS for South of the Border seafood -- nh from word of mouth and cp from actual experience. It is at 13126 Midlothian Tpk (US 60 west of Richmond.) Tel. 804/379-7121. No web site.

There are two excellent Brazilian churrascarias, both in Richmond's West End. One is an operation out of Dallas called TEXAS DE BRAZIL in Regency Square Shopping Center, 1420 Parham Road, tel. 804/750-2003. http://www.texasdebrazil.com

I believe it is a flat $50 per person charge but apparently is very popular and offers an extraordinarily varied salad bar as well as every kind of meat served by gauchos at your table.

The other churrascaria is IPANEMA GRILL, locally owned, at 3641 Cox Road (between West Broad Street and Three Chopt Road), tel. 804/346-5554. http://www.ipanemagrill.net It, too, has meats served tableside and both restaurants use colored flip cards to let the servers know "more please" or "stop already".

I'm sure other will chime in with more suggestions. :)

You're lucky you have a sister in Chester who, I'm sure, will be able to locate these places.

Edited by burt