Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

:) Where've you been, Jon? We've missed you. I was just looking thru the Buttermilk & Molasses link (you'll find it in the Richmond Development thread about the recent charrette) and in one of its links (First Fridays) there are a few pix of Renaissance.

I'll be around this coming First Friday (Aug. 5th) with some friends and rels. Quick five-day trip to get my Richmond fix.

Why thanks Burt, Stop by if you make to our area. I will be in and out of the office this week but Friday will be there most of the day with a HUGE wedding Friday Night !! Stop in and Say hi,

If its during the Wedding ask for me from one of the Hosts or staff at the door, We have Bernard in the parking area and he can Radio me !!

Hope to see you

Well heres my 2 cent,

TDB : Hard to beat it, we've been 4 times and it was Great on all the visits. The look the feel the food, all good. Interesting selections on the "salad Bar". Its no the shoney's bar so be aware there may be some things that you don't normally see. Nice cured meats nice mixed salads, olives, tuna ect. Meats were wonderful and plentiful.

NOTE: several friends have gone and its better with more folks not a couples night out. I think I agree but we've only gone with 6 or more.

Ipanema:

Well the place is nice. The price is very fair however the 2 times I've gone the service was not the best. We needed to ask for everything including meats. ( Both times we were lucky enough to sit next to large tables and the goucho's do the large table and any thing left on the skewer is offered to others. ) While I'm normally a quiet guy IN the restaurant I paid the bill both times and spoke with the owner before leaving he was nice and said he would speak to the staff. I think it could be again what we noted from TDB a larger group is better and the service better as well.

While I LOVE food, I try not to be a snob, Food at TDB is Superior! and of course you pay for that. Food At ipanema is good and flavorful and I enjoyed what I got alot, there just wasn't much of it...... Then again I was full when I left?

Jon:

Thanks so much - Didn't get to read this till just now, as we are just back from TDB. The actual choice became simple on learning that Epanema is closed Sunday. But you have reinforced the choice we came to and I'll add my fresh recollections for the record. The Salad bar was great. A far from complete list of items extracted from an old hard to access brain (mine) include: All standard

Edited by TimJH

Jon:

Thanks so much - Didn't get to read this till just now, as we are just back from TDB. The actual choice became simple on learning that Epanema is closed Sunday. But you have reinforced the choice we came to and I'll add my fresh recollections for the record. The Salad bar was great. A far from complete list of items extracted from an old hard to access brain (mine) include: All standard

Hi folks,

Just wanted to put in a plug for the new and improved Capital Ale House. We went down friday night for a happy hour and had so much fun we stayed for dinner. The expansion is beautiful, and I was very happy to see that the front was opened to the street, allowing the music and ambiance to roll out down Main. The band sounded great from the bar area (it was actually too packed to get a seat in where they were). If you go, make sure to check out the downstairs and the new patio area (where we ate). Very classy and laid back with a sort of "European" vibe. Great service, both our bartender and our waitress were very knowledgable about the beers on tap - it goes without saying that they've got the best selection in town. Everyone I was with (including some west-enders) agreed the new space put the venue solidly ahead of their Innsbrook location...

Keep 'em coming Richmond!

Shady, must have missed you as I was there Friday also. Whoever missed out on Jimmies Chicken Shack on Saturday night I hope you can catch them sometime soon. The acoustics were good enough you could listen outside and appreciate it. By far it is outdoing the Innsbrook location.

Rumors that LEMAIRE, the highly ranked restaurant in The Jefferson Hotel is closed for renovation, are premature. It is still open for breakfast daily and for sumptious dinners Tuesdays thru Saturdays.

Present plans call for a complete overhaul of the Lemaire space beginning in January of '08 immediately following the Holidays. When completed after a couple of months, it may have an entire new look and maybe even a new name.

Tim, Checkplease, Jon and all. You've whetted my appetite for Brazil. It's probably too late to get reservations at TdB for next Saturday, but if I can convince my hosts, we may give it a try.

Glad you enjoyed your evening there, Tim.

And Shady and Journi, the new Capital Ale House addition sounds like a resounding success. It's just amazing how downtown's entertainment quotient has and is rising. And it's all over the place -- The Bottom; The Slip; The Canals; West Broad Gallery Row and even Main Street.

Toads, Capital Ale and soon (January?) The National will make concert-going a popular diversion for city folk and suburbans alike. The National is promising a MAJOR opening act and one person says it will be among the top 10 music venues of its size in the USA.

Edited by burt

Tim, Checkplease, Jon and all. You've whetted my appetite for Brazil. It's probably to late to get reservations at TdB for next Saturday, but if I can convince my hosts, we may give it a try.

Glad you enjoyed your evening there, Tim.

And Shady and Journi, the new Capital Ale House addition sounds like a resounding success. It's just amazing how downtown's entertainment quotient has and is rising. And it's all over the place -- The Bottom; The Slip; The Canals; West Broad Gallery Row and even Main Street.

Toads, Capital Ale and soon (January?) The National will make concert-going a popular diversion for city folk and suburbans alike. The National is promising a MAJOR opening act and one person says it will be among the top 10 music venues of its size in the USA.

I feel lucky to be within walking distance of them all Burt. Maybe I should set up a condo downtown and rent it out to concert goers... sounds like there might be a market in the making... :huh:

By the way, journi, Berry Burk is sold out, isn't it? That's was the word just before it opened.

What's happening in the neighborhood? Have you heared any plans for the empty retail stores along Grace?

Any activity diagonally across the street at RCC?

When's the wife coming home with the camera? We need pix!!!

Hi folks,

Just wanted to put in a plug for the new and improved Capital Ale House. We went down friday night for a happy hour and had so much fun we stayed for dinner. The expansion is beautiful, and I was very happy to see that the front was opened to the street, allowing the music and ambiance to roll out down Main. The band sounded great from the bar area (it was actually too packed to get a seat in where they were). If you go, make sure to check out the downstairs and the new patio area (where we ate). Very classy and laid back with a sort of "European" vibe. Great service, both our bartender and our waitress were very knowledgable about the beers on tap - it goes without saying that they've got the best selection in town. Everyone I was with (including some west-enders) agreed the new space put the venue solidly ahead of their Innsbrook location...

Keep 'em coming Richmond!

The staff at both locations have always impressed me with their knowledge and their ability to give good suggestions.

Rumors that LEMAIRE, the highly ranked restaurant in The Jefferson Hotel is closed for renovation, are premature. It is still open for breakfast daily and for sumptious dinners Tuesdays thru Saturdays.

Present plans call for a complete overhaul of the Lemaire space beginning in January of '08 immediately following the Holidays. When completed after a couple of months, it may have an entire new look and maybe even a new name.

Thanks Burt,

From what I could tell they had given info to staffers in respect to the remodel as we are a referral point for them.

I guess it will be much more extensive than in the beginning plans as they expected a 2 month change. I personally can't wait.

Love that Hotel! Its so nice to look out the back and see them at night!

Jon:

By the way, journi, Berry Burk is sold out, isn't it? That's was the word just before it opened.

What's happening in the neighborhood? Have you heared any plans for the empty retail stores along Grace?

Any activity diagonally across the street at RCC?

When's the wife coming home with the camera? We need pix!!!

Wife is back friday... Ill make a trip this weekend for some pics. Can someone tell me how to load pics directly into the post? The empty retail along grace facing M & R is dead until M & R is done. Could be bought sooner, but it doesnt seem likely. BB is technically sold out... but will remain rental units until 2010, which is proffered. You can pre-buy with a non-binding agreement though. Nothing especially fun going on. All the construction is going apace. It is nice to note some of the local restuarants are changing their hours to be open later and on the weekends.

I just called CHEZ FOUSHEE and they will NOT be open for dinner on the August 3rd First Friday, but will return to First Friday dinners in September.

Also called TWENTY SEVEN and they have plenty of openings for Friday, but she said it will be a mad-house with walk-ins. I reserved for four of us at 8PM.

Edited by burt

I just called CHEZ FOUSHEE and they will NOT be open for dinner on the August 3rd First Friday, but will return to First Friday dinners in September.

Also called TWENTY SEVEN and they have plenty of openings for Friday, but she said it will be a mad-house with walk-ins. I reserved for four of us at 8PM.

Great Burt!

Ok now for the fun... Parking will be a nightmare they have some spots behind 27, We will have all the other surrounding lots and of course I have Valet parking for 250 so it will be crazy. Our lots should be marked off still at that time but our party starts at 7 pm so it may not be.

I f you need to, look for Bernard ( Yellow Shirt ) in the back of our building and use my name !!

Enjoy 27 !!

Thanks, guys. We may take advantage of Quirk's valet parking.

And Jon, my old lady friend and I may pop in Thursday afternoon to see if you're in, but don't wait around. If we miss you we'll try again some other time.

Fourth floor, right?

Indeed, we will be finishing set up for the wedding I think as well as pre-prep on the foods for the same. Should be there till at least 5 call if you can and I will get you downstairs and in the ballrooms 804 629 3373 ex22

Ah Just thought that may not have been appropriate so kick it out mods if you need to.. :wub:

Indeed, we will be finishing set up for the wedding I think as well as pre-prep on the foods for the same. Should be there till at least 5 call if you can and I will get you downstairs and in the ballrooms 804 629 3373 ex22

Ah Just thought that may not have been appropriate so kick it out mods if you need to.. :wub:

Thanks, Jon. Will call Thursday afternoon.

Was out in Shockoe Bottom Friday night.. a few observations. BPM has a neon sign and some plasma TV's displaying music videos in the front windows. Looks like they are doing a good job of hyping things up. It appears that work is going on inside the former location of River City Diner. Newspapers are in the window though I don't see any current permits there. Looks like the building on the corner of 17th and Main, formerly Medley's, is close to being renovated but it appears it will only be a few apartments there and won't contribute much to nightlife. I had heard that a church owned the property and after glancing at the permits in the window it appears this is true. They are called Kingdom Developments LLC. That's about it for now. Any word on when the Plaza will be completed?

There's also work going on in a building near the new River City Diner and Cafe Gutenberg. It appears it will have a commercial space on the first floor and is advertised as having a luxury apartment on the upper 2 levels. The place used to be a restaurant, but the name escapes me at the moment. It looks like BPM will be some sort of night club. Am I right on that ric?

That's right coupe. Per another poster either here or at rcw, they will have DJ's spinning music and videos simultaneously. Not sure how that will work though in talking to a friend they knew of clubs where DJ's spun music based on what was playing on the video monitors. May be something along that line but I guess we'll find out soon. :) Glad to see the Main St. stretch of Shockoe Bottom getting some attention. Can't wait will all of these new places are open to see how things change down there. I still view the Bottom as a keystone piece to downtown's resurgence. With it being between Tobacco Row/Rockett's Landing and the cbd I don't see how it can stay in limbo too much longer. Still hoping to hear of a comprehensive plan from the city regarding new sidewalks and resurfaced streets in conjunction with burying utility lines ;)

That's right coupe. Per another poster either here or at rcw, they will have DJ's spinning music and videos simultaneously. Not sure how that will work though in talking to a friend they knew of clubs where DJ's spun music based on what was playing on the video monitors. May be something along that line but I guess we'll find out soon. :) Glad to see the Main St. stretch of Shockoe Bottom getting some attention. Can't wait will all of these new places are open to see how things change down there. I still view the Bottom as a keystone piece to downtown's resurgence. With it being between Tobacco Row/Rockett's Landing and the cbd I don't see how it can stay in limbo too much longer. Still hoping to hear of a comprehensive plan from the city regarding new sidewalks and resurfaced streets in conjunction with burying utility lines ;)

A comprehensive plan... hmmm, how many people on the city council are up for re-election this year and next? I might run against my local one, albeit I will probably lose...

I had a nice chat with the fellow who is doing BPM on 18th Street. The young guy (Mac, I believe is his name) is quite enthused about the area. He is also doing DEUCES WILD, the dualling pianos bar going into old Wildcats on 17th.

Progress is coming along on SAMS which will occupy about three buildings on 17th just south of Franklin. Someone told me it will have a pretty general menu.

If PAPA NINGO on Franklin between 17th and 18th is expanding, there was no evidence of it, although a building just east has brown paper over the windows.

The bartender at BIG DADDY's, who used to be one of the girls swinging from the ceiling, says business is "decent". She also told me that GOODFELLA's is nearly ready as well as an Italian restaurant and that Wilson of BIG DADDY's runs them all.