Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Dana Craig has found a little bit of stellar joy on Rigsby Road. She gives HEAVENS & EARTH (note the plural) three and a half stars, and that deserves a full reprint of her review.

There is an accompanying slide show of the modest Cambodian restaurant which I have a suspicion is on the site of a former high-rated Vietnamese dining establishment. How many southeast Asian restaurants can there be on Rigsby Road? And for that matter where IS Rigsby Road? A map in the slide show would have been helpful.

HEAVENS & EARTH

6311 Rigsby Road

Tel. 804/282-9999

Tab for two: $38

But read more:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/enter...08-16-0020.html

Edited by burt

I wonder if checkplease, nhughes, Aaron, Jon Beattie or others of our eating-out crowd have tried KARSEN's in Carytown? Or if they have been hearing comments about it?

Professional media critics generally give a new restaurant two or three months to settle in before offering opinions so we'll have to wait a while; although Don Baker was pretty quick in publishing his comments in Style Weekly about BLACKFINN.

As pointed out elsewhere in these pages, I tried KARSEN's and would give it at least three stars.

Edited by burt

I wonder if checkplease, nhughes, Aaron, Jon Beattie or others of our eating-out crowd have tried KARSEN's in Carytown? Or if they have been hearing comments about it?

Professional media critics generally give a new restaurant two or three months to settle in before offering opinions so we'll have to wait a while; although Don Baker was pretty quick in publishing his comments in Style Weekly about BLACKFINN.

As pointed out elsewhere in these pages, I tried KARSEN's and would give it at least three stars.

I just tried it out last night and was generally pleased. I found the menu somewhat similar to Bank's, especially the wasabi mashed potatoes. I ordered a special, Swordfish w/ pesto on pasta (can't remember which kind) and zucchini. Quality was excellent. My friend/date had a salmon appetizer (portion was plenty for an entree) with herb butter and asparagus. It was delicious. Dessert was a strawberries and vanilla gelato concoction with a bit of chocolate on a delicious homemade crust (can't remember what it was called). Tasted much like a high quality sundae. It was perfect with our slightly drier than expected Austrian Pinot Noir. That

:lol: Velvets marketing ploy is working!!!

Wonder why Velvet doesn't expand into the decrepit buildings next door on Main Street. They are a mess but could be quite interesting with a little TLC.

Velvet is anything but discrete with its colorful exterior, but at least it doesn't flaunt what's going on inside with posters and suggestive outside advertising. There's a place for such clubs in any city of size and I, for one, wish them luck.

The abandoned buildings down 15th Street at the s/w corner of Cary are obscene, IMO. A total disregard for their struggling neighbors. Why does the city allow them to deteriorate? I certainly don't advocate more Velvet-type activity, but those buildings could become exciting entertainment destinations similar to INFUZION; or convert to residential.

Edited by burt

McLaw, it good to learn that you have tried out KARSEN's and enjoyed it as much as I did. Did you dine inside or on the patio?

I can't remember where you posted about your upcoming gig at CAPITAL ALE MUSIC HALL. Has it happened yet? And if not, remind us when it will be. If you've already done the gig, give us a report, please.

Just wanted to throw out a mention for a new(ish) spot here in the west end. More of a take out place, although they do have a few high top tables along the wall. It's called Pizza Express, and it's located next to the food lion near regency mall. It appears to be an italian family, or maybe just friends, that are running the place. I've eaten there a couple times now, and I must say, I agree with thier claim "the best pizza in town". I'm from up north, and this is about as close as you'll ever get to a true new york pizza, being this far south. Also, gotta say the hot wings are near perfect, not too hot, but very tasty. Anyway, I don't think they're getting as much business as they'd like, when I went the 2nd time, the guy asked me to tell my friends about them. So, if you're in the mood for some great pizza in the west end, give em a shot, I'd hate to see them go belly up.

Wonder why Velvet doesn't expand into the decrepit buildings next door on Main Street. They are a mess but could be quite interesting with a little TLC.

Velvet is anything but discrete with its colorful exterior, but at least it doesn't flaunt what's going on inside with posters and suggestive outside advertising. There's a place for such clubs in any city of size and I, for one, wish them luck.

The abandoned buildings down 15th Street at the s/w corner of Cary are obscene, IMO. A total disregard for their struggling neighbors. Why does the city allow them to deteriorate? I certainly don't advocate more Velvet-type activity, but those buildings could become exciting entertainment destinations similar to INFUZION; or convert to residential.

Burt... just so you know, Velvet does on occassion flaunt what goes on inside... typically on weekends they will leave the front door open and have a 'dancer' sit outside and ask people to come in. Since she is dressed (I use that term very, very loosely here) they can get away with it. The whole thing is very suggestive and led one of my friends to say "As if the spotlights weren't bad enough, now they have headlights too..." ;)

And that is my one bad story for the day... back to the topic anyone?

Burt... just so you know, Velvet does on occassion flaunt what goes on inside... typically on weekends they will leave the front door open and have a 'dancer' sit outside and ask people to come in. Since she is dressed (I use that term very, very loosely here) they can get away with it. The whole thing is very suggestive and led one of my friends to say "As if the spotlights weren't bad enough, now they have headlights too..." ;)

And that is my one bad story for the day... back to the topic anyone?

Headlights!! Hahaha. It's nice to see where you're headed. :lol:

Back to topic, this thread is about to overtake Richmond Development to become the most visited on UP's Richmond pages. I'll bet a quarter it takes the lead by midnight!

Here's hoping PIZZA EXPRESS out near Regency Square does well. Downtowner (Joey) is pretty familiar with that area so maybe he can talk it up with residents of the area.

Speaking of pizza, some of my high school friends and I have decided to go on a quest to find the best pizza in Richmond before we part ways again in a few weeks. We are in the process of visiting every pizza establish within the city limits, and I was hoping that some of you guys would be able to help us flesh out our list of places. We're only counting restaurants that specialize in pizza -- so Italian places that happen to serve pizza don't count . . . although we're thinking about including 8 1/2. This is what we have so far:

Fan/Museum District - Assante's, Chanello's, Mary Angela's, Extreme Pizza, Romanza, Crusty's, Vito's, Picolla Italy

Church Hill: Amor Pizza

Bottom: Bottom's Up, The Pizza Place, Jay's

Downtown: Jo Jo's, Valentino's

Northside: Zorba's

Near West End: Superstar's

Southside: Albert's, Assante's (II), Brick Oven Pizza, Frank's Ristorante, Italian Delight, Uptop

We've also heard of a place called Papa Lou's, but we can't figure out where it is. If anyone can help us out with our list of Richmond City pizza establishments, we'd really appreciate it.

Edited by gntrphoo

Speaking of pizza, some of my high school friends and I have decided to go on a quest to find the best pizza in Richmond before we part ways again in a few weeks. We are in the process of visiting every pizza establish within the city limits, and I was hoping that some of you guys would be able to help us flesh out our list of places. We're only counting restaurants that specialize in pizza -- so Italian places that happen to serve pizza don't count . . . although we're thinking about including 8 1/2. This is what we have so far:

Fan/Museum District - Assante's, Chanello's, Mary Angela's, Extreme Pizza, Romanza, Crusty's, Vito's, Picolla Italy

Church Hill: Amor Pizza

Downtown: Jo Jo's, Valentino's

Northside: Zorba's

Near West End: Superstar's

Southside: Albert's, Assante's (II), Brick Oven Pizza, Frank's Ristorante, Italian Delight, Uptop

We've also heard of a place called Papa Lou's, but we can't figure out where it is. If anyone can help us out with our list of Richmond City pizza establishments, we'd really appreciate it.

That's quite an undertaking. Really looking forward to reading the final report :)

If you have the time and stomach space, add Maldini's to the Southside list. It's off of Forest Hill across the street from O'Toole's.

I'm not sure ENOTECA SOGNO at 2043 West Broad specializes in pizza, but it's an Italian wine bar that opens at 5:30PM. Give 'em a call - 804/355-8466.

Also in the Fan is a new one -- ARTIST UNDERGROUND CAFE at 1600 Monument Avenue in the basement of Stuart Court Apartments. Pizza is on its menu. 804/213-0185.

You need to add Sette to your list.

Recommendation Request Seafood Restuarant

Celebrating birthday for family member (in their 50s but don't tell them I said that :)) and I'd like to visit a resaturant that has a laid back atmosphere, seafood dishes fried or baked (dietary reasons), and a tab between $10-$15 per dish for the main course.

Flexible w/ location, but prefer something Central to downtown, Fan, or Midlothian areas. Also, preference of a restuarant that have Sat and Sun brunch or early dinner hours.

Hard Shell Cafe had (make sure they still do!) a special on Sunday nights... half off crab legs. Haven't every partaken in it but seemed like a great deal.

While not a seafood restaurant, I recently had an amazing seafood dish at Tarrant's. It was a tilapia stuffed with lump crab meat and covered in an awesome lobster sauce. It came with fresh veggies and a really nice rice. It was about $17 and one of the best dishes I've had in some time!

I've heard good things about Pescado's in Midlothian, which is across from Midlothian Middle School. Not sure of the price range.

I'm sure others have great suggestions.

Hard Shell Cafe had (make sure they still do!) a special on Sunday nights... half off crab legs. Haven't every partaken in it but seemed like a great deal.

While not a seafood restaurant, I recently had an amazing seafood dish at Tarrant's. It was a tilapia stuffed with lump crab meat and covered in an awesome lobster sauce. It came with fresh veggies and a really nice rice. It was about $17 and one of the best dishes I've had in some time!

I've heard good things about Pescado's in Midlothian, which is across from Midlothian Middle School. Not sure of the price range.

I'm sure others have great suggestions.

I can also fully recommend Kuba Kuba in the fan after eating there last night. Prices were moderate, with HUGE portions. Bill for 6 was appropriate, about 20 a person, with drinks included. Nice laid back atmosphere, but it can get a little hot in there, depending on the weather. The food was excellent Caribbean cuisine with loads of seafood choices. I am not sure about a brunch option though.

Recommendation Request Seafood Restuarant

Celebrating birthday for family member (in their 50s but don't tell them I said that :)) and I'd like to visit a resaturant that has a laid back atmosphere, seafood dishes fried or baked (dietary reasons), and a tab between $10-$15 per dish for the main course.

Flexible w/ location, but prefer something Central to downtown, Fan, or Midlothian areas. Also, preference of a restuarant that have Sat and Sun brunch or early dinner hours.

Pescados in Midlothian is by far the best, but the prices are around $20 per entree. It's seafood with a Latin touch (not traditional at all). No brunch.

I really like Crab Louie's in Midlothian as well. It's still not $10 an entree but reasonable and more traditional preparation. Plus the homemade bread is to die for.

Shacklefords in the West End is great too. I think most of their entrees are in the $15ish range. They also have a Sunday brunch.

Re: Cityhopper's seafood quest, if you wish to splurge and show off the city, take your relatives to The Jefferson for Sunday Champagne brunch. I think it runs about $35 per head and from all reports is King of the Brunch Hill in Richmond. And I'm sure they offer some form of seafood amongst the delectibles. Better make reservations, though, because it's generally a sell-out. Call 804/649-4672