Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

While the menu may vary from week to week, here's an idea of luncheon items:

Luncheon Items:

Poultry, Meat and Seafood Entrees with seasonal accompaniments

Bountiful Seafood Display with Smoked Salmon, Mussels, Scallops, Poached Shrimp and Oysters on the Half Shell

Chef's Weekly Choice of Carving Station featuring Roasted Prime Rib, Beef Tenderloin, Turkey, Lamb or Glazed Ham

Seasonal Pasta

Soup of the Day

The Jefferson's Signature Spoonbread

Imported and Domestic Cheese Display

Seasonal Salads

Housemade Charcuterie including Pates and Terrines

Dessert and breakfast items are also included.

While the menu may vary from week to week, here's an idea of luncheon items:

Luncheon Items:

Poultry, Meat and Seafood Entrees with seasonal accompaniments

Bountiful Seafood Display with Smoked Salmon, Mussels, Scallops, Poached Shrimp and Oysters on the Half Shell

Chef's Weekly Choice of Carving Station featuring Roasted Prime Rib, Beef Tenderloin, Turkey, Lamb or Glazed Ham

Seasonal Pasta

Soup of the Day

The Jefferson's Signature Spoonbread

Imported and Domestic Cheese Display

Seasonal Salads

Housemade Charcuterie including Pates and Terrines

Dessert and breakfast items are also included.

So there's no confusion, that's the Jefferson's brunch menu Coupe has posted. Mmmmmmm. My mouth is watering. I've never been, but everyone I've spoken to says it's worth every penny.

If you have the time and stomach space, add Maldini's to the Southside list. It's off of Forest Hill across the street from O'Toole's.

Maldini's makes a good pie. It's part of the Piccola/Mary Angela's family, so expect a similar product. Another new place is due from them soon at Sheppard & Park, which will be great for that little retail stretch.

Maldini's makes a good pie. It's part of the Piccola/Mary Angela's family, so expect a similar product. Another new place is due from them soon at Sheppard & Park, which will be great for that little retail stretch.

That would be the old RITZ at the corner of Sheppard and Park. It has been around since my...well, let's just say a loooong time. CALIENTE, which was another neighborhood beer bar until going upscale, is across the street and CAFE DIEM is a block away on Sheppard at Patterson. BANDITO's is in an old service station on Colonial Avenue between Park and Patterson. The Museum District is claiming its share of dining/bar options.

Dana Craig reports today on SEAFIRE GRILL at 3061 Lauderdale Drive (Lauderdale Square Shopping Center), Tel. 804/360-0900. It is the third dining offshoot of the family that gave us two GRAPEVINE Restaurants in the far West End. (Didn't one of the locations titillate its customers not long ago with a copy of Michaelangelo's unclad David at its entry?)

While the decor is comfortably pleasing and restaurant personnel couldn't be nicer, the signature seafood and other menu items don't measure up, according to Dana'a appraisal.

Two and a half stars is awarded in the Times Dispatch review.

A couple of comments from annonymous readers offer opinions on both sides of Dana's middle of the road critique, which goes to show that people will make up their own minds. Personally, I'm glad we have Dana Craig's intelligent, balanced and well written reviews.

Tab for two: $73.

That would be the old RITZ at the corner of Sheppard and Park. It has been around since my...well, let's just say a loooong time. CALIENTE, which was another neighborhood beer bar until going upscale, is across the street and CAFE DIEM is a block away on Sheppard at Patterson. BANDITO's is in an old service station on Colonial Avenue between Park and Patterson. The Museum District is claiming its share of dining/bar options.

Hi. I'm new to the boards. I've been reading for awhile and finally decided to particpate. I read this:

http://www.richmond.com/dining/output.aspx...&position=1

on Richmond.com about the old Ritz place. Sounds like it's going to be good.

Oops, I forgot to post it:

And speaking of local Italian, Arianna's, the latest incarnation from the folks behind Mary Angela's, Piccola's and Maldini's, is hoping to open by the end of the month. As reported in a previous Eat Beat, Arianna's will open in the former Ritz location in Devil's Triangle and plans to offer delivery service to Museum District and Fan residents alike.

Hi. I'm new to the boards. I've been reading for awhile and finally decided to particpate. I read this:

http://www.richmond.com/dining/output.aspx...&position=1

on Richmond.com about the old Ritz place. Sounds like it's going to be good.

Oops, I forgot to post it:

And speaking of local Italian, Arianna's, the latest incarnation from the folks behind Mary Angela's, Piccola's and Maldini's, is hoping to open by the end of the month. As reported in a previous Eat Beat, Arianna's will open in the former Ritz location in Devil's Triangle and plans to offer delivery service to Museum District and Fan residents alike.

What?!?! Fourth Street Cafe closing at 6pm??? How ridiculous. Where can one go for omelettes after 3am now?

We've also heard of a place called Papa Lou's, but we can't figure out where it is. If anyone can help us out with our list of Richmond City pizza establishments, we'd really appreciate it.

Papa Lou Pizza is at the corner of Brook and Parham, in the shopping center with the Big Lots. The pizza they are known for is their Greek Pizza, with feta, spinach, diced tomatoes, mozzarella, and black olives.

After reading the Times-Dispatch (or Richmond Magazine -- I can't remember) review of The Boathouse last week, I decided to check it out. I've never been before, but it appears that it has been substantially renovated since it's days as the Boathouse. Even though the air conditioning wasn't quite up to task, the Salmon and the Mahi Mahi were quite good. We will definitely go back when it has cooled down enough to sit on the deck overlooking the lake. All in all a very unique dining experience for Richmond and some very good seafood and a great wine list.

After reading the Times-Dispatch (or Richmond Magazine -- I can't remember) review of The Boathouse last week, I decided to check it out. I've never been before, but it appears that it has been substantially renovated since it's days as the Boathouse. Even though the air conditioning wasn't quite up to task, the Salmon and the Mahi Mahi were quite good. We will definitely go back when it has cooled down enough to sit on the deck overlooking the lake. All in all a very unique dining experience for Richmond and some very good seafood and a great wine list.

Is THE BOATHOUSE on Swift Creek Lake at Brandermill?

There's another pretty good restaurant on the lake (or used to be -- I don't see it listed in publications anymore.) It is (or was) in the Brandermill Inn at the soouthern end of the lake just off Hull Street Road.

Ms B.P. Fox of Style Weekly's restaurant page says some nice things about JUMPIN J's JAVA at 2306 Jefferson Avenue in Church Hill. Also referred to as a "Country Store", it opened maybe a year ago as a coffee house that opened at 7 a.m. for wi-fi, relaxation and latte.

In May, owner Je Depew hired on a couple of adventurous chefs and has extended her Tuesday/Sunday hours 'til 11 p.m.

Fox says "...The burnish of copper-topped tables reflects the red-painted tin ceiling and deep yellow walls."

The limited menu has a lot of hits and a couple of misses in the critic's opinion. Overalll, it sounds like a spot I'd like to try...well, as a matter of fact I did try, but it was on a Monday when the place was closed. The salmon with honey soy glaze and wasabi sauce sounds especially tempting, as does pork tenderloin with salad of greens, dried cranberries, goat cheese and caramalized sweet onions.

The salmon dish and accompanying sides cost $19, but the pork price was not quoted in the review.

JUMPIN J's is at the foot of Jefferson Park which is on a hill affording stunning views of downtown Richmond's skyline as well as some very interesting homes in the neighborhood.

JUMPIN J's telephone number is 804/344-3500.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deveron tells us about Mo Roman's SI at 214 North Lombardy Street. The restauranteur whose five or six area properties include elegant BANK (and soon VAULT) at 10th and Main, has spared no effort to transform a small carriage house that has served food since at least the 1940's. SI is a tapas bar but offers "big-eye tuna, stuffed squid, roasted cod, foie gras terrine...and apple beet salad with Manchego foam", reports Deveron. She says "...the place has been utterly transformed into a candlelit jewel."

The tiny upstairs has pink walls and a "loungy vibe."

Serving 'til 1 a.m on weekends.

Si, you'll want to check out this trendy new Fan oasis.

SI, at 804/257-7940.

Edited by burt

Si sounds like my kind of place. I can't wait to check it out.

Burt, to be fair, I wonder what percentage of posts are just you updating the number of posts. :w00t:

Probably a VERY large number. :whistling:

But if I'm updating this particular topic, others are updating the other threads. :lol:

Lets just say you inspired others to follow your example :ph34r:

Nope. It's just because I'm retired, have time on my hands, and like to keep abreast of goings-on in Richmond. I'm sure there are a number of forumers who would be happy if I retired from POSTING as well. :lol: Since I have such a compulsion about Richmond, maybe I should change my tag every month so you folks wouldn't be sure who is tormenting you. :shades:

Haha, not a chance.

Back to business! We are now about 120 from the 80,000 mark!

Nope. It's just because I'm retired, have time on my hands, and like to keep abreast of goings-on in Richmond. I'm sure there are a number of forumers who would be happy if I retired from POSTING as well. :lol: Since I have such a compulsion about Richmond, maybe I should change my tag every month so you folks wouldn't be sure who is tormenting you. :shades:

Haha, not a chance.

Back to business! We are now about 120 from the 80,000 mark!

haha... you said 'abreast'.

Now that I am done acting like a two year old ;)

ZUPPA's former home on North 18th Street is now occupied by BISTRO 104 and Dana Craig has discovered the tiny Shockoe Bottom eatery. It only has seven tables, but they are served up with panache by young chefs Matt Harris and Stephen Bedford.

Bistro 104 has a full bar. There are beers such as Dead Guy Ale and Arrogant beotch and for wine, why not try "Stephen's Pick", a $58 bottle of Cakebread Chardonnay.

The lunch menu offers a tuna melt "with a Caribbean kick," a crab cake samidge, white bean chili empanada and tasty sandwiches.

Odd thing about this place is its hours of operation. Lunch from 11 a.m. 'til 3 p.m. and then nibbles and nips beginning at 8 p.m. 'til closing -- Tuesdays through Saturdays.

Dana gives it 3 stars.

BISTRO 104

104 North 18th Street

Tel. 804/648-1040

Tab for two: $25

Edited by burt