Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

AND ITS 80,000 POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhh. I won my own quarter. :yahoo:

Thanks for celebrating with me Joey, but I must correct you -- it's not actual posts, but viewings by contributors and readers of the thread that make it the most visited topic on UP's Richmond pages.

An as yet un-named 6000+ s/f restaurant in the National Theater will be managed by Johnny Giavos. 3 MONKEYS and KITCHEN 64 are two of the popular restaranteur's properties as well as SIDEWALK CAFE, BORDER CHOPHOUSE and others.

The theater's restaurant in the 7th and Broad corner wing will accommodate more than 300 on the ground and basement levels with an elevator for patrons' access to a second floor VIP lounge and seating in the balcony of the concert hall.

There will be several bars scattered around the premises and perhaps a pizza parlor or other eatery in the eastern wing of the building.

Opening of the facility is projected for this winter.

See the National Theater thread for more info about the concert hall.

Edited by burt

An as yet un-named 6000+ s/f restaurant in the National Theater will be managed by Johnny Giavos. 3 MONKEYS and KITCHEN 64 are two of the popular restaranteur's properties as well as SIDEWALK CAFE, BORDER CHOPHOUSE and others.

The theater's restaurant in the 7th and Broad corner wing will accommodate more than 300 on the ground and basement levels with an elevator for patrons' access to a second floor VIP lounge and seating in the balcony of the concert hall.

There will be several bars scattered around the premises and perhaps a pizza parlor or other eatery in the eastern wing of the building.

Opening of the facility is projected for this winter.

See the National Theater thread for more info about the concert hall.

Maybe Valentinos will move in :)

I am SOOOO joking...

Maybe Valentinos will move in :)

I am SOOOO joking...

God! I hope you're joking.

But, hmmmm. Wait a sec. Some of you rave so about Valentino's pizzas perhaps it should be considered. Then that horrible building

at the s/w corner of 3rd and Grace could be demolished. Rather a parking lot than it! Once upon a time it was a White Tower Hamburger place.

A new (or replacement) South of the Border restaurant is to open soon in the new Ed Eck building at the n/e corner of Harvey and West Cary Street in the VCU/Oregon Hill area. It will be called LITTLE MEXICO about where the former RIO GRANDE operated. The new spot will have patio dining as well as indoor seating.

You can go anywhere you want to eat, but I still like the produce from my side-yard best!

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup...C/of=50,590,442

but seeing as how this is a dining out thread, I will comment on one of my favorite lunch spots in the city: J & K Mobile Munchies. It is a food vending cart, usually located on the north side of West Main Street just west of Shafer Street (student commons) from 11am - 3pm. They have been in operation at the same location since 1994 and have a variety of sauces from very hot to thai peanut that can be applied to mesquite grilled chicken, an interesting chicken salad, hummus, beans, veggies basmati rice and/or any combination. The fresh hand-squeezed lime-aids are the best though. I have always liked a good lime-aid from the drug store counter and thieir's is very close. (Anyone remember the People's drug at Blvd & Broad?) The prices are a little high for a sidewalk vendor, but when I want something healthy and tasty, I will go there. They don't use any oils, salts, or other unhealthy ingredients and yet maintain excellent, robust flavor. Sidewalk vendors usually scare me but I have to say that these guys have got their wrap together!

http://home.comcast.net/~munchies/wsb/html...home.html-.html

Edited by D_C

Just wondering if anyone is aware of or has eaten at this new restaurant on 12th St. in the Slip?

Down Under Restaurant and Lounge

I believe this location (11 S. 12th) housed a somewhat troublesom urban club until a year or so ago. There is another building further up 12th near Main that has been home to two or three different restaurants, but none of them succeeded. Maybe that is the location of Down Under, but I don't think it has a usable lower level whereas the other building has street-level stairs leading down into a large space.

I wish it luck and will look it over when I'm in town for the National Folk Festival.

Joseph Cates of Style Weekly likes, over all, CARYTOWN SUSHI at 2923 West Cary, tel. 804/355-0058. It's a no-nonsense sushi place where everything was "fresh and good, plain and simple."

He urges diners to "...stick with the sushi. Unlike some other local Japanese joints, there is no teppanyaki show; there's no room for chefs juggling shrimp over a hot griddle."

Since I am not a fan of raw fish I liked Joe's wife's comment when asked about the food: "All sushi is great. It has to be. The bad stuff kills you."

Well, it's definitely fresh and good for raw fish lovers at Carytown Sushi.

In his review, Mr. Cates points out something that has puzzled me for years. He writes, "The spell is broken as soon as one emerges onto Cary, where the retail stores are bolted and dark at two minutes past 7 on a warm Saturday night."

There are crowded restaurants, such as CAN CAN, KARSENS, THE TRACK and the Byrd Theater often has a line on weekend nights, but otherwise, there's little street activity, and virtually no shopping in the evening hours.

"...Add a little more neon and a livelier sidewalk crowd, and Carytown could claim a tiny taste of 21st century Tokyo", says Cates.

It's 3 stars from Dana Craig for NORTHSIDE GRILLE at 1217 Bellevue Avenue, tel. 804/266-4403. Her party had to wait an hour before being led to a booth (all seating is in booths), but once settled they enjoyed the service, ambience and, most importantly, some of the vittles from the kitchen.

I peaked into the spot last I was in town, and the ambiance struck me as a kind of road-house neighborhood watering hole. It's pleasing to read that the food, generally, defies that description.

Everybody likes crabcakes. (I would prefer a well-prepared Crab Imperial anyday, but it's not on many menus.) Dana found the pan fried cakes to be tasty if a bit over-spiced. She also overcame an aversion to egg salad when she tried the house version of "diced egg, mayo, onion and hints of dill served on our choice of toasted wheat. Combined with crisp, smoky bacon strips, it was a treat for all senses."

The large U-shaped bar in the center of the room offers good, better and best glasses of varietels at $6, $7 and $8 as well as beer and the hard stuff and, presumably, more wine selections to accompany meals.

The rear of the restaurant might entertain the kids while the parents relax over dinner. It "houses a foosball (sic) table, a whimsically colored kiddie area and a floor to ceiling specials chalkboard, the bottom half covered in children's doodles."

A patio soon will open behind the building.

Tab for two (not including nips): $50.

Edited by burt

Any word on when Sam's is going to open in Shockoe Bottom? Was walking around the other weekend and it seems to be getting fairly close to opening. It's going to take up at least 3 storefronts on 17th Street across from the Farmer's Market. Beyond that I don't know too much about it. Seems lots of other vacant spots in the Bottom are seeing some action. Looks like the former location of River City Diner will soon open as Bubbling Restaurant. Papa Ningo's new space looks amazing though they still have ways to go before it's complete. I also visited BPM with some friends. The interior is pretty interesting with neon and video screens everywhere. Still don't quite get the gist of it but it looks ok if glitzy high-tech is your style. Only real issue is that the air ducts piping in the AC were collecting condensed water on them and they were dripping everywhere. The bartender said they'd have that fixed within a few days.

Thanks for the comprehensive report from The Bottom, ric75. How about the dualing pianos bar (is it called DEUCES ARE WILD)? It used to be Wildcats and before that, Moondance. And what's new at GOODFELLA'S and BIG DADDY's?

nHughes could probably fill us in on these spots.

BUBBLING RESTAURANT is not a very appealing name, IMO.

Someone told me back in July that SAM's would have a fairly standard menu. As you say, it is going to be pretty large.

Is there a new restaurant on the north side of Franklin between 17th and 18th next door to the corner spot with the rooftop that has been boarded up a long time? A few years ago it had SURF in its name, I think.

And is ELEMENT on 18th Street still open?

Did you look into BISTRO 104 in the former ZUPPA?

Thanks for the comprehensive report from The Bottom, ric75. How about the dualing pianos bar (is it called DEUCES ARE WILD)? It used to be Wildcats and before that, Moondance. And what's new at GOODFELLA'S and BIG DADDY's?

nHughes could probably fill us in on these spots.

BUBBLING RESTAURANT is not a very appealing name, IMO.

Someone told me back in July that SAM's would have a fairly standard menu. As you say, it is going to be pretty large.

Is there a new restaurant on the north side of Franklin between 17th and 18th next door to the corner spot with the rooftop that has been boarded up a long time? A few years ago it had SURF in its name, I think.

And is ELEMENT on 18th Street still open?

Did you look into BISTRO 104 in the former ZUPPA?

Agreed on the name Bubbling burt. My friend actually just texted me and said they are now open. Dueling Aces still has a long ways based on what I've seen as does Goodfellas. I think they may be shooting for an opening next year but the folks I was talking to didn't know for sure. Don't think I'm aware of the spot on Franklin you mentioned though I know one of the buildings there is now occupied by the Democratic Party of Virginia. Haven't visited the new Bistro yet but I see people in there at night on the weekends enjoying some higher end beers.

Kerri Peiffer, the restaurant lady at Richmond dot com, confirms that LITTLE MEXICO at West Cary and Harvey Streets on (or adjacent) to the site of the old RIO GRANDE is, indeed, part of the Garcia Family Empire. There are five MEXICO restaurants in western, eastern and southern parts of Metro Richmond -- all owned by the Garcias. LITTLE MEXICO is their first venture into The Fan/VCU area and it possibly may offer more than the standard Tex/Mex fare with a few complex dishes on the menu.

There will be a courtyard patio as well as indoor dining.

Opening may be as soon as November.

On this slow-news day, I started reviewing the dining-out thread from page one back in May of '05. Wrldcoupe4 and I kept things afloat, with an occasional drop-in, until about page 7 when checkplease gave this topic some validity. After that, interest grew and generated considerably more interest.

I haven't seen a similar topic in any of the Southeastern forums. But Providence has a very active discussion forum begun by Cotuit. It's very much like this one, and although it began about 6 months before ours, is just as popular with Rhode Island and New England readers. In fact, it has enjoyed about 7,000 more viewers than Richmond's thread; but we're not as old. And I swear, I didn't copy the Providence format. :).

I think Cotuit, a New Englander, may have started the Richmond forum on Urban Planet. The earliest posting I can find was by Cotuit on 8/31/04 detailing, with great pictures, the devastation of tropical storm Gaston. Why he launched a Richmond forum is a mystery, but vdogg, our moderator, could fill us in -- unless Cotuit himself wishes to explain in person and allow us to express our gratitude.

Edited by burt

Louisiana Flair

Amazing. Great Food. Great Service. Great Prices.

The seafood gumbo is outstanding. My first visit, I went and at 2:00 pm they were shut down because they SOLD OUT of everything. However, the owner/cook allowed my party to sample the wonderful gumbo and we made a trip the very next day to get more. This was my first time tasting authentic 'Orleans cuisie and I enjoyed it. I hate they do not have weekend hours as it would be a great place to take guests to or enjoy a Saturday lunch.

Louisiana Flair

Amazing. Great Food. Great Service. Great Prices.

The seafood gumbo is outstanding. My first visit, I went and at 2:00 pm they were shut down because they SOLD OUT of everything. However, the owner/cook allowed my party to sample the wonderful gumbo and we made a trip the very next day to get more. This was my first time tasting authentic 'Orleans cuisie and I enjoyed it. I hate they do not have weekend hours as it would be a great place to take guests to or enjoy a Saturday lunch.

I understand they sometimes have Cajun musicians playing out on the sidewalk at 4th and Grace.

I understand they sometimes have Cajun musicians playing out on the sidewalk at 4th and Grace.

I stopped by during late lunch hours on both occassions and at those times there were no musicians. It would really be great if they could expand or have some type of indoor/outdoor venue.

Their menu and reviews say they are open til 6p but I do not believe that to be the case. It appears it be more around 3-4p.

I see the Ben and Jerry's is coming along in Carytown.... What is the name and location of the ice cream parlor I've heard/read others comment on in Carytown?

I stopped by during late lunch hours on both occassions and at those times there were no musicians. It would really be great if they could expand or have some type of indoor/outdoor venue.

Their menu and reviews say they are open til 6p but I do not believe that to be the case. It appears it be more around 3-4p.

I see the Ben and Jerry's is coming along in Carytown.... What is the name and location of the ice cream parlor I've heard/read others comment on in Carytown?

The other one is the locally owned Bev's. I think you'll find most people aren't too happen with a chain making a direct assault on a local business. I hope either both businesses manage to remain open or Ben and Jerry's fails and has has to either find a new location or leave town with their tails between their legs. Honestly couldn't they at least have found a spot on the West side of Carytown?

The other one is the locally owned Bev's. I think you'll find most people aren't too happen with a chain making a direct assault on a local business. I hope either both businesses manage to remain open or Ben and Jerry's fails and has has to either find a new location or leave town with their tails between their legs. Honestly couldn't they at least have found a spot on the West side of Carytown?

Isn't Carytown's Ben and Jerry's a locally owned franchise which made the decision to locate there?

And didn't the city entertain a B&J application a few years ago that fizzled?

Isn't Carytown's Ben and Jerry's a locally owned franchise which made the decision to locate there?

And didn't the city entertain a B&J application a few years ago that fizzled?

I guess you could argue that all franchise stores are locally owned representatives of the bigger corporation. Doesn't really change my mind about it though. Not sure about B&J a few years go but I thought someone had mentioned there was a store that lasted only a couple of months. I personally don't remember seeing it.

The old B&J is where Dominion Skateboards is now. It was there around 1994-1995? It didn't seem like a real location at the time (think Starbucks at Barnes and Noble, it just wasn't the same).

I don't care for Bevs, so I welcome them back to our market (it is better than another Cold Stone).

I recently had Brusters for the first time (after having canoed down the South Anna River, which was lovely btw). I thought that it was delicious, but ice cream has become a guilty pleasure since the old metabolism started to slow down about 10 years ago....

There is a sign along some store fronts (2-3) on Broad Street announcing a new restaurant / night club. It is next to (if I recall correctly) 27. I saw it during First Friday (after some beers, could have imagined it all).