Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Brent, could you be referring to a building in the block west of POPKIN's? I noticed a sign that sort of hinted at, without a whole lot of clarity, a catering hall on upper floors of a building just uptown from the midrise at Jefferson & Broad. A mix of entertainment and semi-private restaurant rolled into one. HARLEM is in the name.

Anybody have more info on this place?

SKYY JAZZ PALACE & RESTAURANT is on the north side of Broad almost directly across the street from TARRANT's.

ACACIA NEWS

Just got this email...I heard the location will be in Rockett's Landing

Hello Friends and Loyal Customers,

Acacia opened nearly 10 years ago, we have had great success, great press,

national recognition, and awards. We have great loyal guests who have helped

build Acacia and make it what it is today and we have had the good fortune to

have an awesome staff.

We have done our best to work with the challenging space Acacia occupied. The

time has come for Acacia to stand alone. We are in the process of looking for

the perfect spot to continue the experience Acacia deserves. Acacia will serve

its last meal in our current location on December 31, 2007.

We are excited about this move and hope you will share in our excitement. Please

know that we will keep you informed as we unveil the new Acacia space. Thank you

again for your support in making the 10 year experience of Acacia a success.

We look forward to seeing each of you in the coming months ahead as we

transition to Acacias next marquee.

Sincerely,

Aline and Dale Reitzer

I had heard that ACACIA would be one of the restaurants at Rocketts Landing and posted it on page 19 of that thread. I thought I had also mentioned it in these dining-out pages, too, but can't find it.

I thought Rocketts would be a second location. Didn't expect them to close the flagship in Carytown.

But ACACIA devotees still have 'til the end of the year to enjoy Dale Reitzer's award-winning cuisine in the West End.

Burt, I think that this is a different project, the name was something like "Rumors in the City" and it is at street level. I'll walk by tonight and check it out again.

Hmmmm. Keep us informened, please Brent.

Do you know anything about the upstairs place I mentioned near POPKINS with HARLEM in its name?

Have you tried out ANNIE'S CHICKEN & WAFFLES on North 1st Street? Also, if you haven't been, you might enjoy MARSHALL STREET CAFE.

Edited by burt

I kinda liked this story about cake-making in this week's Style:

http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=15164

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deveron reports that RELISH and TRIPLE CROSSING COFFEE have merged. They are both in the building on 15th Street that also houses BUFFALO WILD WINGS at the Cary Street end and STOOL PIGEONS at the Dock Street end. RELISH and former TRIPLE CROSSING are in the middle.

STRAWBERRY STREET CAFE is now ADA compliant.

BAMBINOS PIZZA has move a few blocks west in Carytown and is now called BUON GIORNIO PIZZA.

Edited by burt

The location is now in its third reincarnation. When it opened as a seafood inspired restaurant called Limani many people had very nice things to say about it, yet after a valiant struggle, the place folded. It reopened for a short time as Duro. That, too, was short-lived.

Now it is a memorial to a dog named WEEZIE. Dana Craig appraises it with 2 stars and opines that the Carytown eclectic spot is bringing life to the area, but the menu and preparation are confusing and inconsistent.

WEEZIE'S KITCHEN

3123 West Cary Street

tel. 804/726-1270

http://www.weezieskitchen.com

Tab for two: $59.

Edited by burt

I went to Si a couple of nights ago. It is owned by the same guy who did Bank and is located at the longtime Cafe di Pagliaci (sp?). Anyway, it is a tapas restaurant and bar. The restaurant is very warm and intimate and they serve food until 1:00 A.M. IMO, it was really well done and I am excited to have it it in the neighborhood. Food was good too.

Edited by Henry

I went to Si a couple of nights ago. It is owned by the same guy who did Bank and is located at the longtime Cafe di Pagliaci (sp?). Anyway, it is a tapas restaurant and bar. The restaurant is very warm and intimate and they serve food until 1:00 A.M. IMO, it was really well done and I am excited to have it it in the neighborhood. Food was good too.

Thanks for the report on SI, Henry. I remember when the little place was called NICK's and you could get a fairly decent steak for about six bucks.

Has anyone mentioned Sushi Go-Around, opened about 3 weeks ago in the Shoppes at Innsbrook. It took over the space China Pearl use to occupy. Very New Yorkerish with the sushi making it's rounds on a conveyor belt . pretty fresh and the chefs know how to make some yummy selections. If you need to try one item, it is the seared salmon. very fatty, but delicious.

Has anyone mentioned Sushi Go-Around, opened about 3 weeks ago in the Shoppes at Innsbrook. It took over the space China Pearl use to occupy. Very New Yorkerish with the sushi making it's rounds on a conveyor belt . pretty fresh and the chefs know how to make some yummy selections. If you need to try one item, it is the seared salmon. very fatty, but delicious.

Good to hear from you again, dklee.

I'm sure the sushi fans will take note of SUSHI-GO-AROUND. So, the name of the place refers to the conveyor belt, eh?

For out-of-town readers, the restaurant is located in a gigantic office park called Innsbrook about 10+ miles west of downtown on West Broad Street near its intersection with I-64. It's about 2+ miles east of famous Short Pump which is frequently referenced in these pages, much to the dismay of certain suburb haters. :lol:

Hey all

Just got in from a preopening at "Grampa Eddie's Ribs & Chicken"located at in the old Julian's space at three chopt road and Cox in the westend of Richmond

While they are in the finishing stages and tonight was a dry run for an established restaurant, it was quite nice.

For those of you that arn't aware we get them nearer to Richmond from WAAAAYY out west broad street beyond short pump. I personally never went, but my table mates had and say that the new place would hold the entire building of the old one.

Food was nice and filling and the portions were large.

We had the baby backs and brisket, very nice.

The place is pleasant, clean, has a nice outdoor deck and the staff was ready to please.

... since it was free, I'm not sure of the actual tab for 3 but I think around 70 would have covered everything and then some.

Edited by jonbeattie

Anyone heard any futher news? We are hearing that the place will be a club of some sort?

[/quote

]Hi, jon. We've missed you. I hope you or someone can give us some info and exact location of this place calling itself RENDEZVOUS.

And on the subject of abandoned JULIAN buildings, what's happened to plans for the one at Mulberry and Broad? Last report was that it was going to become a "destination" gay dance club.

Isn't the original GRAMPA EDDIE'S beyond Rt. 288 on Broad Street Road in Goochland?

Hi, jon. We've missed you. I hope you or someone can give us some info and exact location of this place calling itself RENDEZVOUS.

And on the subject of abandoned JULIAN buildings, what's happened to plans for the one at Mulberry and Broad? Last report was that it was going to become a "destination" gay dance club.

Isn't the original GRAMPA EDDIE'S beyond Rt. 288 on Broad Street Road in Goochland?

Ok the first RENDEZVOUS is 2 buildings East od the Restaurant 27 at the corner of Adams & Broad. We understand some enterprising guys are planning an opening in November, the is only banners on the windows as I drove by but I will try to walk over on Thursday.

Yes the old ( gone now) Grampa Eddies is the same on there lease did not renew.

I hav'nt heard of the gay club thing for the one at Mulberry, and the building is still in shambles.

We've been KRAZY busy so forgive the lack of posts......

Ask and you shall receive:

Foodies who have been mourning the loss of the award-winning Dogwood Grille might be comforted by the fact that at least the location is serving food again. Cirrus (1731 W. Main St. 340-1984) open its doors at the beginning of the month and with its sleek interior, featuring stainless steal, glossy whites and a fabulous little indoor water feature, it certainly brings some sophisticated ambiance to the Fan dining scene. Owner George Hatzimanolis, who once owned and operated Bogart's, says the menu is fusion-inspired with entrees like filet mignon, N.Y. strip, stuffed chicken and scallops

Coming up in West Broad Village on West Broad Street between Innsbrook and Short Pump are four restaurant and/or entertainment chains:

McCORMICK & SCHMICK'S, a National restaurant offering high end seafood as well as chophouse options.

MIMI'S CAFE, a family style place.

GORDON BIERSCH Brewery Restaurant.

DAVE AND BUSTER'S, offering games as well as food.

Also an aLoft Hotel, an offshoot of Starwood's W brand, is one of two hotels planned.

Edited by burt

Style's Joseph Cates likes shrimp, but he wants to know from what waters they are scooped. In this case, they were netted from a Maryland purveyor and P.T. Hastings. His redundant meal of three shrimp offerings at SEAFIRE GRILL apparently satisfied him.

The new restaurant is in Greater Short Pump at 3061 Lauderdale Drive at its intersection with Church Road. Tel. 804/360-0900.

It's clear that he approves highly of SEAFIRE GRILL -- at least on his second visit (his initial foray was iffy.) But his review is almost as much an ecological lecture as an appraisal of the food. Cates is into Red Listings of endangered underwater species and advises us all to avoid certain sea creatures that some claim are being fished to extinction.

It's an interesting review and I am posting it here:

http://styleweekly.com/food.asp

Edited by burt

Style's Deveron Timberlake tells us that the bustling Broad Street corridor straddling the VCU campus has another restaurant, or rather, a replacement restaurant. It is called RAMAKIN'S and is in the former Taqueria Loco. RAMAKIN'S offers sandwiches, waffles and other items 'til 3AM. And on weekends, there is music on the rear patio.

Says bartender Walter Livingston, "We've got a laid-back atitude, friendly people, cheap food and cheap booze, but NOT a cheap atmosphere."

RAMAKIN's at 818 West Broad.

Te. 804/447-5112.