Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Since I began reading Dana Craig's Times Dispatch restaurant reviews I don't recall seeing any quite as devastating as the one posted below of BLACKFINN's. This is not the first dismissal of the saloon's food offerings that has circulated. Some serious corrections need to be addressed at this popular watering hole, and they obviously should be directed to management and his kitchen and serving staff.

After two visits Dana rates BLACKFINN's with one star. I wonder how its sister restaurants in Texas, Norfolk, New York and other cities fare with critics?

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/enter...09-27-0036.html

Edited by burt

as much as i love the people working at blackfinn, and what it is bringing to DT richmond, I agree with everything Dana mentioned. My previous assessment of blackfinn on their opening weekend is basically the same thing Dana experienced nearly 3 months later. I have been back only once for dinner since that time, and though it wasn't as bad as Dana's experience, the food was as bad, if not worse than if i had gone to Olive Gardens or Applebees.

I wonder if the food is as bad at the other locations? Maybe it is the training here? after 3 months, you would have expected some turnover, the bad people leaving, and things getting routine. sadly, poor quality might be the routine they are getting accustomed to doing. Hopefully it will not turn into a Bar first, restaurant second type place.

as much as i love the people working at blackfinn, and what it is bringing to DT richmond, I agree with everything Dana mentioned. My previous assessment of blackfinn on their opening weekend is basically the same thing Dana experienced nearly 3 months later. I have been back only once for dinner since that time, and though it wasn't as bad as Dana's experience, the food was as bad, if not worse than if i had gone to Olive Gardens or Applebees.

I wonder if the food is as bad at the other locations? Maybe it is the training here? after 3 months, you would have expected some turnover, the bad people leaving, and things getting routine. sadly, poor quality might be the routine they are getting accustomed to doing. Hopefully it will not turn into a Bar first, restaurant second type place.

Its a bar first. Sports bar second. Then a place that has food, third.

Last Monday, food critic Eric Asimov did an extensive piece in the Dining Out section of The New York Times about Portland, Oregon. The story says "chefs flock to a city where food is the star, produce is stellar and real estate is cheap."

I recall a 1984 three-week stop in Portland was an exhilarating experience, but its culinary offerings were under whelming. How far that city has come in a generation. Asimov speaks of the bountiful farmers' markets that dot the city as well as local fisheries and small beef, lamb and pork producers, plus the World Class wineries in the state's Willamette Valley. New, or recently established restaurants in Portland, include Le Pigeon; Paley's Place; Pok Pok; Clyde Common and Carafe.

On a lesser scale, Richmond has jumped on the gourmand bandwagon and the names of excellent restaurants are scattered through these pages. What is lacking are the diversified farmers' markets to supply local star chefs. Much is imported from Washington.

There's talk of a new restaurant next to the post office in the 400 block of North 25th Street. That would be between Marshall and Clay Streets in Church Hill North.

Also, someone is trying to salvage the East End Theater building practically next door to the proposed new restaurant. It will NOT, however, return to theater use according to the owner.

Dana Craig supports Style's contention that apetizers at KARSEN's are overpriced. But she acknowledges that Carytown's hip new restaurant is bringing some delicious in-house prepared entrees that are not seen on many local menus.

KARSEN's, 3411 West Cary, tel. 804/353-5277 rates 3-stars in Dana's evaluation.

Tab for two was $100.

Here is her review followed by a rather caustic reader's comment which I suspect is not a majority view:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...10-04-0043.html

Edited by burt

There is a squib in today's Building Permits column of the RTD which says that Mo Roman has his nightclub at 1005

East Main under construction at a cost of $100,000.

So, it's safe to assume that VAULT in the basement of BANK Restaurant will soon be open and add to the downtown entertainment scene.

Maybe someday soon "Yo Big Fat Mamma's Booty" and/or "These Boys Are Girls" will be opening for McLaw and his band on VAULT'S stage. :)

Meanwhile, Henry has visited Mo's new Tapas Bar called SI on Lombardy Street in the Lower Fan and has given it an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Edited by burt

Someone told me that BluePoint in short pump has finally decided to stop the bleeding and close. But what is news is that a new bar has opened?? has anyone checked it out? i haven't had time to drive back to catch a name, but someone told me that it is a national chain of sports video bar?

Someone told me that BluePoint in short pump has finally decided to stop the bleeding and close. But what is news is that a new bar has opened?? has anyone checked it out? i haven't had time to drive back to catch a name, but someone told me that it is a national chain of sports video bar?

I'd be interested to hear details. I don't know anything about it.

Does anyone know if HIGHWATER has finally opened at Toads Place?

I'm sure you probably know by now, Highwater is open as is yet another new place in Carytown. Some kind of Thai/Cajun fusion from the sound of the name which is eluding me at the moment. There has been an explosion of openings and new restaurant announcements recently. If I had time I'd try to go through and link them all however I have to be hitting the road. Check out Style Weekly for some info on the upcoming Moshi Moshi in Carytown and Granny Wade's in the Slip. With this glut of restaurants I think we REALLY need to start marketing outside of the Richmond area to help ensure these new establishments and our old favorites stay in business. We're really starting to become a serious "Foodie-town" but I'm afraid not enough folks outside of Richmond know this. It's time to embrace that identity and make a serious effort to reach out and grab the tourists interested in visiting a town with a wide selection of quality restaurants.

I agree, checkplease. The word has to spread about Richmond's growing dining-out options.

The old Kitchen Table on 17th Street is being renovated and will open soon as (and correct me if I'm wrong) a place that sounds like HALIGAN. The word is for a piece of fire-fighting equipment, and the decor of the spot includes the cab of a fire engine stuck on the wall. Maybe someone had better double check me on this place, because I got my info from sticking my head in and chatting briefly with a workman who indicated opening would be in a couple of weeks and that the food offerings would be pretty standard. He also said that DEUCES ARE WILD in the old Moondance is definitely a "go" but did not predict an opening date. And of, course, you all know about LULU's a few doors further north on 17th.

I had dinners at MAGGIANO'S (not one of my favorites): KARSEN's again, and delicious as before; TEXAS DE BRAZIL which I REALLY liked; CHEZ MAX, one of the area's top restaurants, IMO; CIRRUS, so-so in the old Dogwood spot in the Fan, and SI on Lombardy, which was delightful.

GRANNY WADE's, the new arrival in the Slip is tiny and promises down-home southern fare when it opens its doors.

Unofficial rumor is that ACACIA will be on the lower level of the old power plant at Rocketts Landing and that another MILLIE's offspring will be on the second floor.

Almost all of my dining-out this trip was in suburbia (except SI and CIRRUS in the Fan). I strongly recommend CHEZ MAX if you like French Provencal-style food, presentation and decor. It's at the end of the shopping center on Patterson at Lauderdale Drive and is expensive and heavily booked on weekends.

Edited by burt

Burt, I think that this is a different project, the name was something like "Rumors in the City" and it is at street level. I'll walk by tonight and check it out again.

RENDEZVOUS, if it ever opens, will cover a large frontage of two buildings on the south side of Broad west of Foushee and east of Adams.

It has been rumored to be a lounge, jazz club and dance spot among other things. The latest is that it will be fashioned after a relatively new place in NYCity called BED.

Speaking of "outre" bars in Richmond, I have driven around in circles in Scotts Addition but have been unable to locate INFUZION which supposedly will have the only ice bar on the east coast.

TEXAS DE BRAZIL which I REALLY liked;

Texas de Brazil is a great place especially if you are a major meat-lover. There is a similar restaurant out near Innsbrook called Ipanema Grill. The food is roughly the same but the atmosphere is a little bit more laid-back and the prices are a little bit cheaper. Lunches are great there although they do not serve Lamb, but the Kabobs more than make up for that.

I figured I would add my two-cents about another place I went recently that I have not visited in a while. About a month ago I ate at Hard Shell on East Cary in Shockoe Bottom. It had been quite a while since I had eaten there and must say that I was pretty disappointed. My draft beer (Legend Brown Ale) was just above room temperature. My wife's entree (Crab cakes) wasn't bad but I have had better at Lynn's Diner in Mathews County for 9 bucks. My entree (Salmon) was tiny and dry. The corn-pepper relish was overpowering and too sweet. Our appetizer was pretty good though. (Calamari) The seasoning was different and instead of a marinara dip, it came with a pepper relish that was very original and good. Our service was good but that should have been expected since there wasn't too much of a crowd yet. Overall, I was definately not pleased and will probably not go back there for a very long time.

Another place that hardly anyone ever mentions is my favorite pizza joint.....Piccola Italy pizza and subs located at the corner of Harrison and West Main Streets near VCU. We ordered a white pizza with spinach, feta, tomato, extra garlic, onion and black olives after the Folk Festival. Man!! I just love their pizzas and calzone! Here's another tip, if you order for pick-up, be sure and go early so you can slam down a couple of buck-fifty PBR drafts. They are very cold and refreshing!

burt, I visited The White Dog two days ago, and it's still open and not even close to being sold apparently. Barry Pruitt is trying to sell the entire building for 750,000 or so. Even if the restaurant alone is sold, I was told that it more than likely would remain in operation.

Just as an update, I recently ate at White Dog and asked Barry's wife about selling the place, and she said more was made out of it in the papers than was intended. If they do sell it, it will be a while yet. So go and enjoy...

VAULT, Mo Roman's proposed club underneath BANK at 1005 East Main Street, is getting closer to an opening date. There was some legal difficulty about access and egress from the space, but there will be three ways in and out when construction is finished which presumably will satisfy the fire marshall. If anyone recalls, there are (were) restrooms near the front entrance of BANK. They are being removed and replaced with stairs to the lower level; also, there will be an entrance from a rear alley if an agreement between Roman and owner of the alley space can be accommodated.

VAULT is on two levels and runs the entire length and width of upstairs BANK. It will have state of the art sound and lighting. The plan is to offer d/j's on week nights and bands on weekends.

PS: I was in CAPITAL ALE HOUSE twice last week and all rooms -- up, down, and beside -- were packed both times around 5PM. The noise level was too much for these old ears, so both visits were brief.

Do you know anything more detailed about Granny Wade's Burt? That would be a welcome addition to the Slip.

It is approximately next to, or actually where Movable Feast was (is) located on East Cary. SINE is diagonally across the corner. Peering into the window, you can see a row of tables in a very small space and a sign on the door saying that it will open soon and offer southern cooking. That's all I know, but I suspect checkplease has more complete info.