Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

VAULT, Mo Roman's proposed club underneath BANK at 1005 East Main Street, is getting closer to an opening date. There was some legal difficulty about access and egress from the space, but there will be three ways in and out when construction is finished which presumably will satisfy the fire marshall. If anyone recalls, there are (were) restrooms near the front entrance of BANK. They are being removed and replaced with stairs to the lower level; also, there will be an entrance from a rear alley if an agreement between Roman and owner of the alley space can be accommodated.

VAULT is on two levels and runs the entire length and width of upstairs BANK. It will have state of the art sound and lighting. The plan is to offer d/j's on week nights and bands on weekends.

PS: I was in CAPITAL ALE HOUSE twice last week and all rooms -- up, down, and beside -- were packed both times around 5PM. The noise level was too much for these old ears, so both visits were brief.

Glad to hear about progress at Vault. I'm probably dining at Bank tonight, so maybe I'll have a chance to talk to someone about a possible opening date. I really want to get both McLaws Drive and Secret Sound Machine in Vault.

Edited by mclawsdrive

Glad to hear about progress at Vault. I'm probably dining at Bank tonight, so maybe I'll have a chance to talk to someone about a possible opening date. I really want to get both McLaws Drive and Secret Sound Machine in Vault.

McLaw, my source for the Vault info came from Dominic who bartends upstairs at SI. He is on Mo Roman's payroll. Drop in there for a drink and tell him Burt from NYC sent you. :)

I have an update for everyone on the old Ritz at 700 North Sheppard Street, corner of Park and Sheppard.

Arianna's Grill opened up last Wednesday. We went there for lunch, and had a taste of almost everything on the menu. INCREDIBLE! :)

Nothing we had was bad, or even mediocre. It's from the same family (even if a different offshoot from the family) that owns and runs PICCOLA'S and MARY ANGELA'S.

....hmm, I can't post the scanned image of the menu for some reason, but you can find it on my blog -- http://rvabusiness.typepad.com/rvabusiness...r-ritz-loc.html

If it's not cool that I posted the link, then someone please help me get the images posted here!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restaurant Week, 10/22/07-10/28/07

Prix-fixe 3-course meal for $25.07

Here is the list, straight from the CVFB website with links added for you to click through to each restaurant's website (when available):

Acacia, 354-6060

Amici , 353-4700

Bacchus, 355-9919

Cabo's Corner Bistro , 355-1144

Europa , 643-0911

Hondos at Innsbrook , 968-4323

Juleps, 377-3968

La Grotta , 644-2466

Michelle's at Hanover Tavern , 537-5250

Millie's Diner , 643-5512

Rowland Fine Dining , 257-9885

Sam Miller's, 644-5465

Six Burner , 353-4060

The Hard Shell, 643-2333

The Hill Cafe , 648-0360

The Track, 359-4781

TJ's in the Jefferson , 788-8000

Twenty-Seven , 780-0086

Zed Cafe , 261-5656

Zeus Gallery Cafe, 359-3219

Edited by nhughes

Great post, nhughes. I can't help you in posting images since I'm limited in my computer expertise (or lack of same.)

D C will enjoy reading about ARIANNA'S since its an off-shoot of PICCOLA'S. Read his post above.

Richmond's restaurant scene just keeps on growing in numbers and quality.

nhughes, have you heard anything about Johnny Giavos' plans for his next restaurant which will be in The National Theater?

The Restaurant Week listing will be a real help to everyone. Wish I could be there to enjoy it. Again, thanks for putting it up.

Edited by burt

nhughes, have you heard anything about Johnny Giavos' plans for his next restaurant which will be in The National Theater?

I heard a rumor that it would be another Giavos project, but I didn't quite believe that he would tackle a new project so soon after launching KITCHEN 64. I always underestimate the pain threshold of restaurant owners, though...

I heard a rumor that it would be another Giavos project, but I didn't quite believe that he would tackle a new project so soon after launching KITCHEN 64. I always underestimate the pain threshold of restaurant owners, though...

Yes. He will be the operator of the new National Theater restaurant. I was hoping you, with your restaurant connections, could tell us something about it. The facility may open as soon as January.

Very cool! So which restaurant will be making use of the Canal Walk itself? Highwater or Urban Flats? I thought they were going to have tables set up outside like they did when Ripple was there last summer but so far I haven't seen anything.

Edit: Nevermind. I found my answer in burt's post in the Toad's Place thread :)

Edited by ric75

Granny Wade's now has a brief description of their restaurant on their web site. It is from the Style Weekly description:

Appalachian-Southern Cooking

Thanks, jbj, for posting the Style Weekly report all gussied up like a wedding announcement in GRANNY WADE's web site. I bet a quarter this small spot will find a quick following.

And you have to go out to "the shed" to sneak a nip, 'cause Granma don't 'low no drinkin' in her house. :lol:

The RTD announced this morning that POSITIVE VIBE CAFE on Huguenot Road received the New Freedom Initiative Award from the Secretary of Labor. Congrats!!

Does anyone know if ANNIEBELLE'S CHICKEN AND WAFFLES on First Street is still open? A friend told me she called to make reservations on a weekend and no one answered the phone.

I don't know, burt. I'll keep my eyes open when I go through there next.

Edited by nhughes

Thats a great place, but its on Forest Hill (Stratford Hills), not Huguenot (I only mention it because thats my neighborhood - and we never get any respect!)

Rodney Dangerfield, if around, would send his congratulations to the neighborhood "that don't get no respect." But since he's not around, I'll add my kudos to POSITIVE VIBE CAFE at 2825 Hathaway Road, just off Forest Hall Avenue in Stratford Hills Shopping Center, for being given the New Freedom Initiative Award by the Secretary of Labor.

This restaurant does the disabled a great service by putting them to work in the culinary field and building their confidence to challenge the workplace. Accomplished area chefs and musical entertainers volunteer their time and expertise as well at the popular cafe in ShadyGrove's neighborhood.

Encourage it by phoning for reservations - 804/560-9622.

Edited by burt

Uh oh!! Watch out, SAM MILLER. Granny Wade's gonna take you across her knee and whomp you good for your inattention to quality.

Dana's already done it in print. You only get one and a half star, so mind your ways.

And to think, the SAM MILLER name is what started the restaurant turn-around in Richmond back in the late 1960's when a couple of brave young men gutted an abandoned trading house at 1301 East Cary. It soon opened as a resplendent dining room called SAM MILLER'S with a cellar bar called The Captain Morgan Room. It flourished and was soon followed by other restaurants like GATSBY'S (now THE PEKING) and THE TOBACCO COMPANY.

Several successful years passed at the original location and then SAM MILLER'S moved across Cary to its present location at 1210 East Cary.

SAM MILLER'S is a lovely place and with a bit of TLC it could regain its prestige. Maybe if we all give it another chance, its tarnished reputation can be salvaged.

SAM MILLER'S RESTAURANT & OYSTER BAR

1210 East Cary St. (in Shockoe Slip)

tel. 804/644-5465

<a href='http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/ipb_seo.php?url=http://www.sammillers.com' rel='nofollow' target="_blank" onclick="java script:urchinTracker('/outgoing/www_sammillers_com');">http://www.sammillers.com</a>

In Dana Craig's Times Dispatch review today: Tab for two: $97 for dinner (inluding tips, but not nips.)

Edited by burt

Went out to Zeus Gallery tonight for restaurant week. Had great food and great service. I would highly recommend going before restaurant week is over. I had calamari with pesto, flounder stuffed with crab meat, and tiramusu. All great! Other appetizers included a soup (I think sweet potato and apple puree) and a seasonal salad with pumpkin seeds. Other entrees included a hangar steak (which I tasted and highly recommend), meatloaf, a pasta dish, and a shrimp and scallop dish. And, finally, other dessert options were an apple cobbler and chocolate pate (tried both and, again, very tasty). So hurry up before the week's over!

Went out to Zeus Gallery tonight for restaurant week. Had great food and great service. I would highly recommend going before restaurant week is over. I had calamari with pesto, flounder stuffed with crab meat, and tiramusu. All great! Other appetizers included a soup (I think sweet potato and apple puree) and a seasonal salad with pumpkin seeds. Other entrees included a hangar steak (which I tasted and highly recommend), meatloaf, a pasta dish, and a shrimp and scallop dish. And, finally, other dessert options were an apple cobbler and chocolate pate (tried both and, again, very tasty). So hurry up before the week's over!

Interesting. I just read a blog that blasted Zeus Gallery for their inept performance on Monday. Goes to show you that you can't judge a restaurant from just one experience. Even the blogger that wrote the post was saying that they normally love Zeus.

I'm glad to hear they got their act together, especially during such a good week for publicity!

blog blasting Zeus (not my blog, btw) :)

Interesting. I just read a blog that blasted Zeus Gallery for their inept performance on Monday. Goes to show you that you can't judge a restaurant from just one experience. Even the blogger that wrote the post was saying that they normally love Zeus.

I'm glad to hear they got their act together, especially during such a good week for publicity!

blog blasting Zeus (not my blog, btw) :)

As this self-proclaimed "drunk couple's" blog points out - in vino veritas! Could it be their taste buds were desensitized by aperitifs?

In addition to Northsider, Jon Baliles of River City Rapids sang high praise of his Restaurant-Week meal at ZEUS GALLERY CAFE, but could not resist adding that he resented paying 11% city tax, especially since he claims a penny of it goes to the performing arts center.

Sidebar: Three former ZEUS staffers defected last spring and opened KARSEN'S in Carytown -- which is not participating in Restaurant Week.