Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

regarding restaurant week.

My date and i went to Six Burner for RW. The was wait extremely long. Mostly due to two large parties. BTW, does anyone know of the red hat group? they took up the most space.. and from what i hear, they are lousy tippers.

Back to the meal. I had the pork and date had the salmon. Her dish was good. I enjoyed my dish very much. It is extremely rare to find a restaurant that serves pork medium rare.. So that was enjoyable. Overall a good meal.

The gripe?

let see, two 25.07 meals, one $8 glass of wine, one sprite, total tab including tip?? $80 bucks... WTH???

My date and i went to Six Burner for RW. The was wait extremely long. Mostly due to two large parties. BTW, does anyone know of the red hat group? they took up the most space.. and from what i hear, they are lousy tippers.

Back to the meal. I had the pork and date had the salmon. Her dish was good. I enjoyed my dish very much. It is extremely rare to find a restaurant that serves pork medium rare.. So that was enjoyable. Overall a good meal.

The gripe?

let see, two 25.07 meals, one $8 glass of wine, one sprite, total tab including tip?? $80 bucks... WTH???

There's that Richmond tax again. I think they should lower it to 10%. But lets see here....

25.07 x 2 meals = 50.14 + $8 wine + $2 sprite = $60.14 + 11%tax = $66.76 + 20% tip = $80.11

Wow, I better watch out, I'm going to Acacia tonight and Rowlands on Sunday. Looks like I'll be about $160 poorer if my date wants wine with each meal.

Speaking of tip and tax, isn't it technically a 20% tip if you tip on the pretax total? I usually tip based on the grand total, but really, doesn't that boost Richmond waitstaff tips quite a bit? Chesterfield waiters/waitresses must get about 6% less tips on average (since they have no meals tax)

There is an argument about whether or not waiters get the full amount when customers include tip when paying on credit cards. Some say that smaller restaurants deduct the credit card fee from waiters' gratuities. I've asked servers several times and the nearest they've ever come to agreeing is saying "we always like cash." But the convenience outweighs concerns, IMO, so I'll continue to add tip on credit card receipts. And I'm on the generous side -- I tip 20 to 25% on the full bill, including tax.

McLaw, be sure to give us your reports on ACACIA and ROWLAND.

Edited by burt

The gripe?

Six Burner has a prix fixe three-course dinner menu Monday through Thursday all year for $19.95. Actually a better deal than restaurant week. And usually some great options. Plus wine deals on Tuesday and Wednesday!

There is an argument about whether or not waiters get the full amount when customers include tip when paying on credit cards. Some say that smaller restaurants deduct the credit card fee from waiters' gratuities. I've asked servers several times and the nearest they've ever come to agreeing is saying "we always like cash." But the convenience outweighs concerns, IMO, so I'll continue to add tip on credit card receipts. And I'm on the generous side -- I tip 20 to 25% on the full bill, including tax.

The issue with credit card tips is not that a certain amount is deducted, but how easily tracked it is by the IRS. Cash is nice because there is no paper trail. -- Not that I ever reported anything but my full tip earnings, of course. :)

I haven't heard anything about credit card processing fees being deducted from the tip, but anything is possible.

The issue with credit card tips is not that a certain amount is deducted, but how easily tracked it is by the IRS. Cash is nice because there is no paper trail. -- Not that I ever reported anything but my full tip earnings, of course. :)

I haven't heard anything about credit card processing fees being deducted from the tip, but anything is possible.

Any bar / restaurant owner that deducts the transaction fee from the server's tip is a craphead in my book. That is a crappy way to do business. If anyone knows of an owner that practices this method, I sure would like to know about it so I could narrow down my choices of places to go. If an owner is going to do that to the server, just imagine how weak the drinks are going to be.

Six Burner has a prix fixe three-course dinner menu Monday through Thursday all year for $19.95. Actually a better deal than restaurant week. And usually some great options. Plus wine deals on Tuesday and Wednesday!

Wow, I'lll definitly be checking out 6 Burner soon, on a Tuesday or Wednesday. And Burt, I bet a quarter I'll have a review of Acacia and Rowland monday. Although Acacia is pretty well known, Rowland is still pretty new, so there haven't been that many reviews.

Wow, I'lll definitly be checking out 6 Burner soon, on a Tuesday or Wednesday. And Burt, I bet a quarter I'll have a review of Acacia and Rowland monday. Although Acacia is pretty well known, Rowland is still pretty new, so there haven't been that many reviews.

ROWLAND is one of Dana Craig's favorites.

DC, I should have clarified that the talk of restaurants withholding credit card fees was here in NYCity -- not in Richmond.

nhughes' reason for cash tips makes sense for servers -- no paper trail for the IRS. But I'm sticking with tipping on credit card because then I have a paper trail at tax time. :good:

Edited by burt

I'm not sure if it's been discussed yet, but I just noticed that INFUZION has updated its website including its tapas menu and dance night schedule. Apparently it will feature "best of" dance music on Thursdays, free salsa lessons and latin dance on Fridays, and European "high-energy" music on Saturdays. The new anticipated opening is December 2007. If this place lives up to the description on its website, it looks like Richmond will finally have a club/lounge that rivals those found in first-tier cities. I only wish it would be open in time for Thanksgiving so that my cousins and I could go check it out!

Ariana's at 700 N. Sheppard Street is a cool little spot. I broke the ice by getting a pizza last night. Conveniently located next door to Sheppard Street market (the old MoMo's), I was able to grab a 12 pack of Newcastle Brown Ale as I shuttled my pizza home. (Having a one-month old at home makes dining out a temporary dream).

It is a small space but nicely done. The kitchen is immaculate. A great New York style pizza that is difficult to find anywhere else in Richmond.

Thank's for the tip on a Mary Angela's / Piccola's type restaurant. I can't wait to check out the rest of the menu. It is nice to have this place so close to home.

I'm not sure if it's been discussed yet, but I just noticed that INFUZION has updated its website including its tapas menu and dance night schedule. Apparently it will feature "best of" dance music on Thursdays, free salsa lessons and latin dance on Fridays, and European "high-energy" music on Saturdays. The new anticipated opening is December 2007. If this place lives up to the description on its website, it looks like Richmond will finally have a club/lounge that rivals those found in first-tier cities. I only wish it would be open in time for Thanksgiving so that my cousins and I could go check it out!

Old as I am, I wouldn't miss a visit to this place for anything! :lol: A cold Grey Goose in an even colder igloo. Then a warm-up salsa turn on the dance floor. Mmmmmm. Can't wait!

I drove all around the area a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find it. Coupe says it's in a smaller building than expected. And the web site puts it at the n/e corner of Roseneath and Clay Streets.

Edited by burt

Yeah it seems like an neat place... how did the pizza search go?

My friends and I were able to make it to the 23 pizza places on our list, but we didn't have time to do a write up before we left Richmond. Our very "scientific" scoring system based solely on taste/texture/quality of a slice of pepperoni pizza resulted in the following top three: (1) Frank's Ristorante Italiano & Pizzeria [just barely within the city limits in Stony Point shopping center] (2) The Pizza Place [in the bottom on Main Street] (3) Amor's [in Church Hill 1321 Mechanicsville Pike]. The usual suspects (Mary Angela's, Bottom's Up) came in close behind, but unfortunately, I don't know their exact ranking since I don't have the list with me. Of course, our search was pretty subjective, and I'm sure we missed a few places (Ariana's wasn't on our list, although it sounds like it should have been). Anyways, hopefully we'll get together and write it up when we come back to Richmond for winter break.

And Burt, I bet a quarter I'll have a review of Acacia and Rowland monday.

As it is now Tuesday, I owe Burt a quarter. Please forgive any misspellings of culinary terms.

Acacia:

My date enjoyed her cauliflower risotto. I must proclaim, the flavor and texture were memorable; a perfect balance between crunchy and soft. I was very impressed with a creamy soup, reminiscent of a cream of mushroom, but with shrimp, pear, chives and other interesting and tasty ingredients I cannot now remember (don't think it had any mushroom in it though).

Her salmon was seared, (I believe with a butter sauce, because ofthe crispy, lightly browned outside). It was accompanied by the usual asparagus and I believe mashed potatoes. Nothing novel about the salmon, but it was excellent. I enjoyed the stuffed quail. It is a bit gamey, but not overwhelmingly so, and it was served over a creamy mixture of what I think was stone-ground grits and mashed potatoes, providing the perfect dipping sauce.

For dessert I had a chocolate ganache a la mode. It was a bit difficult to break through the hard chocolate shell, but the inside was soft and spongy, perfectly soaking up the melted white chocolate ice cream. She had banana pudding with rum raisins. Both desserts went down smoothly with the last of our bottle of reasonably priced Cotes du Rhone

Edited by mclawsdrive

Great reviews of ACACIA and ROWLAND, McLaw. Dana Craig just might seek you out when she needs a fill-in.

Because you failed to mention the dent in your wallet for these exquisite meals, I'm going to waive your 25 cent debt to me. :hi:

You have not yet reported on your latest experience at BANK, nor have you revealed what you learned about VAULT. Coupe advises that BANK shut down for a few days in order to finish complicated construction in anticipation of VAULT's opening.

Your next assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to report on the tapas at SI. :ph34r:

I'm glad Dana likes MARSHALL STREET CAFE as much as I. A short one-block walk from BISTRO TWENTY SEVEN, the young new 3-star restaurant is at the corner of Adams and Marshall, directly across from the new and stylishly renovated Emrick Flats.

Try it out; you won't be disappointed. But reservations would be advised for tomorrow's First Friday Arts Walk celebration.

MARSHALL STREET CAFE

23 West Marshall Street

804/497-8386

Tab for two: $40 - tax included, but not nips and tips.

<a href='http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/ipb_seo.php?url=http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/enter...11-01-0032.html' rel='nofollow' target="_blank" onclick="java script:urchinTracker('/outgoing/www_timesdispatch_com');">http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/enter...11-01-0032.html</a>

NOTE: I'm just having an awful time, despite CommRE's help, linking stories these days. If the above link doesn't work, maybe one of you can post it properly. Thanks.

Edited by burt

Great reviews of ACACIA and ROWLAND, McLaw. Dana Craig just might seek you out when she needs a fill-in.

Because you failed to mention the dent in your wallet for these exquisite meals, I'm going to waive your 25 cent debt to me. :hi:

You have not yet reported on your latest experience at BANK, nor have you revealed what you learned about VAULT. Coupe advises that BANK shut down for a few days in order to finish complicated construction in anticipation of VAULT's opening.

Your next assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to report on the tapas at SI. :ph34r:

Thanks, Burt. SI is in my top 5 for new restaurants to try. Also on the list is Six Burner, 1 N. Belmont, Sensi and Can Can. Didn't find out much on my last visit to BANK. Mo Roman wasn't there, and my waiter wasn't really sure of a timetable. I did notice work in the location of the front bathroom (presumably for the new staircase).

My visit to BANK was wonderful, as usual. We enjoyed a calimari appetizer. Each piece was tender without any chewiness. Breading was crisp and not overly greasy. I ordered shrimp and grits, which was surprisingly good. I hesitated to order it because I'm not a big grits fan. But these were the softest, most flavorful grits I've ever had. I was a little bit worried about the shrimp because they were quite large, and large shrimp tend to have a less pleasant texture, but these shrimp were surprisingly tender. For dessert we split creme brullee, which was actually a tad disappointing. Still quite good, but the last several creme brulees I've ordered at different restaurants seem to be overly warm. I think I'll hold a class on how to make the perfect creme brulee. It helps if the custard and ramekin are as cold as possible without freezing before caramelizing the sugar. That way the blow-torch won't heat the custard too much. Same applies if one is burning liquor on top.

McLaw, I have been remiss in failing to acknowledg your report on BANK. Thanks for bringing us up-to-date.

Among your list of restaurants to visit, add CHEZ MAX. It's waaay out in the suburbs at 10622 Patterson Avenue (just past Lauderdale Drive), but well worth the drive. And the parking is FREE. :lol:

PS: For future reference, SENSI and OLD ORIGINAL BOOKBINDERS offer free space in lots across Cary Street. Just remember to ask for a parking lot token from the maitre 'd when entering.

Edited by burt

McLaw, I have been remiss in failing to acknowledg your report on BANK. Thanks for bringing us up-to-date.

Among your list of restaurants to visit, add CHEZ MAX. It's waaay out in the suburbs at 10622 Patterson Avenue (just past Lauderdale Drive), but well worth the drive. And the parking is FREE. :lol:

PS: For future reference, SENSI and OLD ORIGINAL BOOKBINDERS offer free space in lots across Casry Street. Just remember to ask for a parking lot token from the maitre 'd when entering.

Thanks for the tips. I've added Chez Max and O O Bookbinders to the list.

Warning to anyone planning a visit to CHEZ MAX on a weekend: Be sure to call ahead for reservations because if they're booked, which is likely, there's not a helluva lot of options in the neighborhood.

CHEZ MAX - 10622 Patterson Avenue at the western end of a shopping center at the corner of Lauderdale and Patterson. Tel. 804/754-3464.

And take a fat wallet.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...11-08-0033.html

So, SI is a hit!!!! Nevermind the photo caption writer's misplaced vowel, Dana and the World are discovering that Mo Roman's new boite on Lombardy Street is the place to go in Richmond for a delicious Mediterranean repast -- from imaginative decor to sangria to delicious tapas to full entrees.

Read Dana's 4-star review of SI, then pick up your cell and call for reservations.

WARNING: SI is in the middle of the very dense Fan District and parking is at a premium. I've had luck twice finding space alongside the triangle park where Hanover becomes Park Avenue just east of Lombardy.

Newcomers are in for a treat. :good:

Matthew Tlusty, former chef/owner of LIMANI in Carytown, is now chef/manager of TJ's in The Jefferson Hotel. He's promising a new menu and other changes, though I suspect he won't muck around with the famous Brunch in the Rotunda that sells out every Sunday.

The 5-Star/5-Diamond hotel is trying to modernize its restaurants and, in addition to Tlusty's changes at TJ's, the elegant LEMAIRE will undergo major alterations requiring a two or three month shut-down beginning sometime in late Spring of '08. Expect a far more contemporary look, a new bar, perhaps some open-air dining space, and possibly a new name.

Though I had reported the LEMAIRE re-organization earlier, Deveron Timberlake of Style Weekly provided the info about TJ's.

Edited by burt

I think it would be nice -- certainly nostalgic -- if an elegant downtown restaurant offered a small, non-amplified combo and sedate dancing for mature, romantic types. Youth have plenty of options for raucous noise and free-for-all dancing, but alas, nothing for those who long for cheek-to-cheek slow dancing as well as rhumba, samba, waltz and fox trot.

Go ahead, laugh! But I bet a quarter it would have a wider appeal than most imagine. Might even reduce the divorce rate.

When it opened, The Marriott on Broad Street offered dancing in its lobby with an orchestra. The Marshall Room off the lobby of the John Marshall, the Winter Garden atop The Richmond Hotel, The Empire Room at The Jefferson, Westwood Supper Club and Tantilla all had orchestras and big dance floors.

Ah, sweet memories! :mellow:

This story in today's inRich about a 5-diamond award for The Jefferson should go elsewhere, I guess, but note the captioned "Related Stories - Lodging in Central and Western Virginia that received AAA Four-diamond Awards." It includes THE FOX HEAD INN in Manakin (Goochland County) as a 4-diamond restaurant when, according to reports, it was sold several months ago (as reported in these pages) and is now an Italian restaurant.

I find it curious that The Roanoke Hotel did not win 4 diamonds. And I also find it curious that The Times Dispatch for its own reasons failed to list awards for hotels and restaurants in Eastern Virginia. Surely, there are plenty of candidates in Williamsburg and Hampton Roads:

http://www.inrich.com/content/cva/ric/news...11-10-0141.html

Edited by burt