Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Old as I am, I wouldn't miss a visit to this place for anything! :lol: A cold Grey Goose in an even colder igloo. Then a warm-up salsa turn on the dance floor. Mmmmmm. Can't wait!

I drove all around the area a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find it. Coupe says it's in a smaller building than expected. And the web site puts it at the n/e corner of Roseneath and Clay Streets.

I work around the corner from Infuzion- I can't wait till it opens! It's definitely on the corner of Roseneath and Clay though - they have the sign up now.

It's 3 stars from Dana for CARYTOWN SUSHI. The restaurant in the former Indochine at 2923 West Cary, tel. 804/355-0058, also offers hibachi, but it's the raw stuff that wins Dana's nod of approval. The lead-in header to her review says it all -- Carytown Sushi Gets Fresh!

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...11-15-0019.html

Edited by burt

Has anybody heard any updates about Granny Wade's, the southern/Appalachian place opening up on the Slip? I am craving some chicken and dumplings.

I haven't heard a word, jbj.

How about some of you Slip-goers? Any news?

I work around the corner from Infuzion- I can't wait till it opens! It's definitely on the corner of Roseneath and Clay though - they have the sign up now.

Lookout, will there be ample parking on the INFUZION site? Please keep us up-to-date on progress.

I have to admit I know nothing about a restaurant chain called RED ROBIN. But apparently there is one at Virginia Center Commons and another will open soon near the new Barnes & Noble at Chesterfield Town Center.

Does anyone have any comments about the chain?

Gourmet burgers. Expensive for burgers, but they do make a point to differentiate themselves. I've enjoyed it when I've gone.

------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, I noticed that MANILA MANILA in West Broad Commons (corner of Tuckernuck Rd and W Broad St) has been replaced with a Caribbean restaurant called FANTASY ISLAND CAFE & GRILL. There is a sign outside saying that they are now open.

Gourmet burgers. Expensive for burgers, but they do make a point to differentiate themselves. I've enjoyed it when I've gone.

------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, I noticed that MANILA MANILA in West Broad Commons (corner of Tuckernuck Rd and W Broad St) has been replaced with a Caribbean restaurant called FANTASY ISLAND CAFE & GRILL. There is a sign outside saying that they are now open.

nhughes, I had aLways heard that MANILA MANILA was a very popular restaurant. Sorry to hear that it has closed.

When I was stationed in Manila hundreds of years ago, it was a Spanish-speaking city -- the second most bombed out city on the planet, other than Warsaw (excluding, of course, Nagasaki and Hiroshima). Tagolog, now the native tongue, was at that time spoken only by freedom fighters and provencials. It was (and I suppose is yet) a beautifully sited metropolis on Manila Bay and was called "The Pearl of the Orient" in a time when "Orient" was not a politically incorrect usage.

The Philipines is a beautiful country. I hope its culinary treasures are still available in Richnmond.

Greg Gilligan says today in his inRich story about Reynolds Crossing that there is a possibility of two restaurants going up on the property fronting Broad Street across from Sheraton Richmond West near Glenside and I-64.

The possibilities are: Another (third in the area?) OLD ORIGINAL BOOKBINDERS and a MAX & ERMA.

I suppose the new 250-room Westin Hotel rising on the property will also have a restaurant.

Style's Deveron Timberlake tells us about CAFE RUSTICA at 414 East main Street in this week's edition. It is open only for breakfast, lunch and Sunday brunch as of now, but hopes to expand service maybe next year to include night time dining and nipping.

If construction hopes in the area are fulfilled, this location on Main between 4th and 5th betwixt BowTie's Jefferson Square and Centennial Tower may prove a very smart restaurant investment.

http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=15730

Edited by burt

O.K., here's my take on Red Robin.

I was told to take the kids and after I walked in the door, I could see why. Red Robin is a lot like a cross between a chuck-e-cheese and a restaraunt. It is definately aimed towards kids. Balloons are in abundant supply and the waitstaff is very attentive towards the kiddies. The onion ring tower was quite impressive. Other food was nothing extraordinary but the kids were entertained enough by the surroundings to allow my wife and I to have an actual dinner out together with the kids without having to chase one all over the place.

O.K., here's my take on Red Robin.

I was told to take the kids and after I walked in the door, I could see why. Red Robin is a lot like a cross between a chuck-e-cheese and a restaraunt. It is definately aimed towards kids. Balloons are in abundant supply and the waitstaff is very attentive towards the kiddies. The onion ring tower was quite impressive. Other food was nothing extraordinary but the kids were entertained enough by the surroundings to allow my wife and I to have an actual dinner out together with the kids without having to chase one all over the place.

I would call that a pretty positive take on RED ROBIN. Did you go to the one near Virginia Center Commons?

I've often heard of CHUCK E CHEESE but haven't the faintest idea where one might be located in Metro Richmond. Is the chain sort of like a playground within a restaurant?

BAR LOUIE is the new name of Bluepoint Fish Club at 11788 West Broad Street, tel. 804/440-7301. It's on the outer edge of the Short Pump Town Center ring road fronting West Broad.

The TD's restaurant critic, Dana Craig, visited it recently and says it's one swell saloon -- if you love 3-deep patrons swilling gleefully at one of its two bars and servers performing dance routines between casual table visits.

But the food is in the "nosh" category -- tasty, big, and reasonably priced amid a loud, smoky atmosphere.

As Dana says, "it fills a void in Short Pump nightlife."

Tab for food items for two: $37.

Dana's rating: Two stars.

I would call that a pretty positive take on RED ROBIN. Did you go to the one near Virginia Center Commons?

I've often heard of CHUCK E CHEESE but haven't the faintest idea where one might be located in Metro Richmond. Is the chain sort of like a playground within a restaurant?

I believe there is one located on West Broad Street near the TJ Maxx Shopping Center, in the same center as ZORBA'S. There is probably one on Southside somewhere, but the West End location is the only one that pops to mind immediately.