Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

I believe there is one located on West Broad Street near the TJ Maxx Shopping Center, in the same center as ZORBA'S. There is probably one on Southside somewhere, but the West End location is the only one that pops to mind immediately.

There is one on Midlothian Turnpike as well, not far from Powhite Parkway.

Yea, DC. When Julienne Moore was in Richmond filming "Hannibal II", she often took her kid to a Chucky-E-Cheese on Midlothian Tpk.

Is there a thread for celebrity sightings in Richmond? Not that it would get a lot of activity, but it may be interesting to be able to look back and see who's been here.

Is there a thread for celebrity sightings in Richmond? Not that it would get a lot of activity, but it may be interesting to be able to look back and see who's been here.

Good idea, nhughes. I think many would be surprised by the big names that pop in and out of town.

I guess, if one is so inclined, the list could start from current dates and work backward, i.e, the President being in town last week. His daughter, Jenna, is a frequent visitor since she is engaged to a Richmonder.

Tom Wolfe, the white-clad author of note (a native of Richmond) drops in about once a year and visited last month.

Toads Place attracts some fairly well known names as will The National when it opens soon. Also, The Coliseum, the Landmark Theatre and U of R's Modlin Center book in personalities of varying popularity.

Local recording studios, such as In Your Ear and Sound of Music, produce recordings of quite a few singers -- some better known than others.

You might be surprised by the number of showbiz types who pass thru the portals of The Martin Agency in Shockoe Slip.

The recent filming of the HBO mini-series JOHN ADAMS had lots of well-known and not-so-well-known actors roaming Richmond's streets as well as occasional visits by the series' producer, Tom Hanks.

But, you're right, nhughes; this should be a separate thread. Why don't you initiate it and call it "Celebrity Sightings in Richmond?" I bet a quarter a lot of posters would contribute. :camera:

Edited by burt

Look at all the news from Deveron Timberlake of Style Weekly! DULUX, like SI, is among those newer places offering cool, upscale, untraditional decor in The Fan.

There have been some recent closings, but the one that most saddens me is BISTRO 104 on 18th Street. It was a joint effort by a pair of young men who were trying to make it in The Bottom.

http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=15769

INFUZION, Scott's Addition's way-out Ice Bar/Lounge/Club is aiming for a December opening. Elsewhere, on the fringe of Scott's Addition, STRONGHILL DINING COMPANY has gotten its permits in a row and may be ready to receive diners next Spring. It is on North Boulevard on the opposite side of the road from the under-contruction BowTie Movieland.

Edited by burt

http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=15770

Joe Cates of Style Weekly has some fond memories of his visit to BUBBLE in the former River City Diner on East main in The Bottom. But maybe the Hookah smoke made him dreamy. He goes on about what he would do to improve the place if he were owner. #1 would be to trash the styrofoam and go for china.

Wonder if they serve Bubble Tea?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anybody have any information about GRANNY WADE's in The Slip?

Edited by burt

DOT'S BACK INN on MacArthur Avenue in the Northside and THE VILLAGE INN, an institution at Grace and Harrison Streets in The Fan, will be getting some National notariety on The Food Channel:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...11-29-0119.html

They'll be in Norfolk tomorrow checking out DOUMAR's.

Edited by burt

Has anybody seen a review from Dana Craig in today's Entertainment section of inRich? Damned if I can find it -- though subliminally, JULEP's pops into my mind's eye. I swear I saw it once this morning but it's lost.

If anybody can find her review, please post it. She's my favorite food critic in Richmond, although I also enjoy Davis whatshisname who rarely writes anymore.

Edited by burt

Granny Wade's is officially open and the menu is spectacular. There are only a few things on the menu (but it changes every day) so as to provide fast service. I'm definitely going tomorrow.

Granny Wade's

T H U R S D A Y ~ D E C E M B E R 6 t h

~ . ~

L U N C H

Bar-B-Que on Roll

Chicken-N-Dumplings

Cranberry Chicken Salad

Greeens with Hamhocks

Cabbage

Candied Yams with Pears

Applesauce Cake

Brownies

I hope Dana Craig will be back tomorrow in The Times Dispatch with one of her great restaurant reports. If there was a review last week, I couldn't find it.

I don't get the RTD website. Everything moves around, and then once it's not on the front page, articles are hard to find. I dug up last week's RTD review:

Julep's

And this week's is on the homepage but who knows how long it will stay there:

Avenue 805

I don't get the RTD website. Everything moves around, and then once it's not on the front page, articles are hard to find. I dug up last week's RTD review:

Julep's

And this week's is on the homepage but who knows how long it will stay there:

Avenue 805

You have revived my sanity checkplease. I KNEW I had seen the word JULEP's last week for a brief moment, but then it was lost forever at inRich.

JULEP's rates three and a half stars from Dana and is truly one of Richmond's culinary treats. Read the highlighted review above and call for reservations. Tab for two (sans nips): $84.

AVENUE 805 is no longer fronted by its former tart but funny owner. Under new chef, Jeff Baird, the menu is taking a turn for the better. Two and a half stars. Tab for two: $59.

Edited by burt

Granny Wade's is officially open and the menu is spectacular. There are only a few things on the menu (but it changes every day) so as to provide fast service. I'm definitely going tomorrow.

Granny Wade's

T H U R S D A Y ~ D E C E M B E R 6 t h

~ . ~

L U N C H

Bar-B-Que on Roll

Chicken-N-Dumplings

Cranberry Chicken Salad

Greeens with Hamhocks

Cabbage

Candied Yams with Pears

Applesauce Cake

Brownies

jbj, is GRANNY WADE'S also open for dinner? Does it have a liquor license and is there a bar? Please give us a full report after your visit, including prices.

For those of you who don't know, GRANNY WADE's is in Shockoe Slip on the north side of Cary practically at Virginia Street (SINE is diagonally across the corner.)

According to the GW web site, they're currently only open 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. but will be opening "soon" for dinner.

Thanks, jbj. Anther new downtown restaurant, CAFE RUSTICA on Main between 4th and 5th, also opned as a lunch-only spot but announced that it plans to begin dinner service in the new year.