Intermodal Triangle

The Voice of Reason

I think I posted about this before but dont see it.

There is a big project that actually has a public meeting soon and in fact a ton of funding already.  It ties in with I quilt and I think you guys will really like some of the elements.

http://www.hartford.gov//images/lsni/tigerapp.pdf

Element 1: Union station and the transportation district

First off, they are turning Union station into an intermodal transportation hub because of the busway and the commuter rail.  what this means is that it will also be the main bus stop in the city. 

The goal is to get alot of the bussess off main street!!!

this should lessen the loiterers and also make traffic and navigatin easier without so many busses coming and going.

Also Asylum Street will be made a 2 way between Ford and Trumbull.

Element 2

Bushnell park North... the are completely redoing Ford, Jewell, and Gold street into a green street.

Removing the median, calming traffic, widening sidewalks and including bike lanes as part of the east coast greenway.

this should help make this street more desirable and hopefully spur development and retail activity.

It also appears to connect all the way to the travelers Plaza  and Gold street is redrawn to make more park space and better pedestrian and traffic flow.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are other renders in the pdf too.

it is interesting to see some of the new stuff too.  The changes to statehouse square will be interesting.  I think an improvement too, will be interesting to walk through there at night and see where the loitering happens.  I know that is something that scares suburbanites away.

• 1 year later...

So with the first construction of the intermodal triangle commencing I thought I'd resurrect this thread. 

So does anyone know the final verdict for Asylum St.  I had attending the final public forum for CTFastrak a while back and learned that Asylum St is no longer going to be converted to a  two-way street.  I pressed why, especially given the conversion has the opportunity to dramatically change the ease of navagability of downtown from the West and allow for more efficient bus routes.  It seems the business resistence killed not only dedicated  bus lane, but the conversion entirely.  Seems we are just getting a refreshed streetscape there. 

Does anyone have more insight into this?  I can understand resistance to the dedicated lane (losing valuable street parking) but the whole conversion?  Two-way roads had shown to be safer for pedestrians and increase business visability (traffic from both directions).  I would like a two-way conversion would be a win all around. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ford, Jewell and Gold St work is now underway. If you haven't heard, Bushnell Tower residents are complaining Gold St realignment moves the street to close to them. The church across the street is complaining it moves the street to far away from them. You can't please anyone in this city

post-5974-0-54067300-1406152098_thumb.jp

post-5974-0-97627400-1406152116_thumb.jp

post-5974-0-23369500-1406152128_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Ford, Jewell and Gold St work is now underway. If you haven't heard, Bushnell Tower residents are complaining Gold St realignment moves the street to close to them. The church across the street is complaining it moves the street to far away from them. You can't please anyone in this city

Being a leader in this city must feel like a pretty thankless job. I'm surprised we're making any progress at all considering apathy and antipathy around here.

Archived