Mills 50

Captain.Metro

If we are to embrace Mills 50 as the common name for this diverse district, let us discuss the growing popularity of the district and how we, as Orlandoans, will like to see the area develop into its own identity.

I found this concept for the district, along with others, and really like the low-cost, yet visually appealing urban feel of this.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's really no excuse for many of those businesses not to spend a small amount of money to spruce up the area, I used to live a few streets near that intersection and the 7/11 was always kinda junky. Lake Highland really improved the area by purchasing the used car lot and landscaping. Mills/50 slowly improving but only so much can be done considering what they have to work with (narrow and ubstructed sidewalks combined with relentless traffic). Not sure how the city would feel about the seating areas as they've been removing many public benches to reduce homeless sleeping/loitering areas.

Thanks for that, Downtown Steve. Perhaps the Mills Park Development will be a catalyst for change. Whereas I don't much care for the traditional/Med Revival look for areas closer to Colonial, it can work for the Loch Haven Park areas.

One thing I like done by the Process Architecture proposals is a unique, modern vision for this district. Recycled materials, clean lines, urban and contemporary, but not sterile. From that shelved proposal, added streetscaping would be a huge improvement.

Along 50, new developments should take on a Vietnamese influence architectural style, or, be designed by Vietnamese architects. A nice touch to the cultural identity that encompassed this area for so long, before it became "hip."

Loved all of the Process Architecture ideas. Simple, affordable and smart.

The Mills part of Mills50 is looking pretty lively. Although traffic is a real impediment for pedestrians. The 50 part of Mills50 is looking a little tired.

Tired indeed. There's so much potential if the environment were made more pedestrian friendly and visually inviting. Right now, it's a formidable walking enviroment, particularly at the intersection of Mills and 50. Something needs to be built out to the street where the old Anthony's pizza was. Something with height could be made as an icon for the area.

As you say, the Mills section is building an identity of its own. I've mentioned before, but this area is becoming reminiscent of Los Angeles' Melrose district, a trendy street with counter-culture boutiques and cafes. Building upon this concept, Orlando can improve upon it with a more verdant approach.

• 2 months later...

From the Mills50 Facebook - The Cameo Theatre has been purchased by Jomabo Ventures (Who own the Tako Chena building and the building to the north of it on Mills) and will be undergoing renovations. Process Architecture developed the new facade.  No word on the use of the building, but it'll be nice to have it fixed up. 

598768_10151464404293991_193824764_n.jpg

Signs from a construction company have also gone up on one of the old gas station sites across 50 from the Cameo. Don't know if it is new development, or if it this part of the cleanup of these former gas station sites that has been going on for the past couple years.

hmmm i dunno what I think about this Mills 50 thing by ucf students. This area is predominantly asian business. I think it should gear toward that to create an identity and not gentrify it. I would encourage more asian influnces such as building asian looking building and putting in public spaces such as a japanese garden or even putting in a chinatown sign. An area that come to mind is Chinatown in DC.

The mills 50 thing by UCF student would be better for semoran/50 or milk district. Then we would have two distinct main/main. Most of those buildings in 50 needs renovation.

I agree, there should be more cultural (Vietnamese) influence in the area, but moreso on 50 between Summerlin and Fern Creek, where I see more Vietnamese businesses. Frankly, Mills50 on Mills north of 50 has become more "hipster" and industrial modern. The two areas can bleed into each and combine influences by (as in DC's Chinatown) making signage in both English and Vietnamese. Plus, Vietnam is an emerging global influence and its architecture is predominantly modern. There's no need for something artificial in creating an Epcot-esque "Vietnam Pavillion" along the Mills50 district. Good Lord, the last thing we need in this city is more Micky Mouse architecture and *shudders* Dryvit.

hmmm i dunno what I think about this Mills 50 thing by ucf students. This area is predominantly asian business. I think it should gear toward that to create an identity and not gentrify it. I would encourage more asian influnces such as building asian looking building and putting in public spaces such as a japanese garden or even putting in a chinatown sign. An area that come to mind is Chinatown in DC.

The mills 50 thing by UCF student would be better for semoran/50 or milk district. Then we would have two distinct main/main. Most of those buildings in 50 needs renovation.

Right, and where it belongs, in the attractions area--- not in the central core. I'm not belittling it in appropriate settings where it's acceptable. Themed architecture outside an amusement/theme park is otherwise gaudy.

lol...mickey mouse architecture brings 52 millions of visitors to Orlando....just saying....

I think the area could really benefit from some focused cleaning up more than anything.  A committed graffiti removal volunteer corps, trash cleanup, etc.  I don't think the "gentrification" although that's not the word I'd use has overall been a bad thing.  The area still has gritty charm, but you don't feel unsafe or dirty walking around. 

The Lake Highland Prep campus in the church really did a lot in my opinion to make the area a little more comfortable.  There is still a significant number of Vietnamese and other Asian businesses and the area has long been a mix of Asian/non Asian. I think we are seeing more stable tenants in some of the (non-Asian) storefronts - the Asian businesses overall have great staying power.  I think more of the local residents dining/drinking/shopping in the area instead of going somewhere else, and that increased activity has raised attractiveness as a destination as well.

DC's Chinatown feels pretty Disneyfied to me. With the Verizon Center/Gallery Place and surrounding signage being multilingual, it dilutes the authenticity of what's there without preserving the historically significant structures and businesses. That's something that I like about Mills/50 - It's not "branded" to be Vietnamese for tourist appeal, it is an authentic collection of businesses owned, operated and catering to a very real international population in the area.  It also celebrates some Orlando history, with businesses like Colonial Photo and Wally's as anchors.

I find it funny that in this thread people are speaking gentrification, but in another thread, they're celebrating clearing land and building over entire blocks in Parramore. Sporting venues only really have about 1 hour before/after events that they add streetlife to a neighborhood, and have little to do with economic diversity. Both Parramore and Mills/50 are great neighborhoods that deserve historic preservation. </soapbox>

Most of the Parramore land being cleared is already abandoned, and is not of historical significance (correct me if I'm wrong).  Parramore has suffered from a total lack of investment for decades.  Hopefully with new businesses moving in, this will change.  I would certainly take issue if the city cleared out swaths of land south of Church Street at Parramore Ave where there is some community and storefronts, and they forced relocation.

Parallel parking on Mills is just too dangerous as it stands. They need to reduce the speed limit and enforce that heavily, or do something to make it safer like Edgewater in College Park where the parking lane has space to open your door. With foot traffic and bars increasing in number and people speeding it is only a matter of time before someone gets hit.

• 4 months later...

I posted about it about a week ago on Bungalower. Got lot's of Faecbook comments (still working to get people to comment on the story so that the comments stick with it..what can you do). Basically all we heard wast that they are planning a Bistro and that the documents posted in the window are expired. I starting driving by about every other day and look inside to see if I see anyone...and so far nothing.

Archived