As for the project itself:

-Building massing

-Materials:  brick and stucco

-Replacing a parking lot

-Fitness center

-Courtyard

-Indoor pool

Dislikes:

-Ground floor parking, even if hidden. They should have the fitness center on the ground floor fronting the street.  In door parking kills the whole street.

-Materials:  EIFs and cement fiber board.  There is no getting around the cheap look of the material, and that is really at it is used for, because it's cheap

Overall, I hope the city approves it and this gets built quickly.

• 3 months later...

As always, thank you for the updates!

As for the project itself:

-Building massing

-Materials:  brick and stucco

-Replacing a parking lot

-Fitness center

-Courtyard

-Indoor pool

Dislikes:

-Ground floor parking, even if hidden. They should have the fitness center on the ground floor fronting the street.  In door parking kills the whole street.

-Materials:  EIFs and cement fiber board.  There is no getting around the cheap look of the material, and that is really at it is used for, because it's cheap

Overall, I hope the city approves it and this gets built quickly.

Not sure if there is enough room for parking anywhere else on that plot of land...

I do like the ideas though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

And some more.  Say what you want about Buddy, but his most recent flurry of projects have gone up fast.  http://norfolkliveblog.com/?p=854

Good infill with a good design. Nothing to complain about here. I hope he can fill his apartments and bring some peopke downtown. It would be nice to attract another grocery store.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A few more progress shots:  http://norfolkliveblog.com/?p=1133

The density of this entire Boush Street corridor has completely transformed over the last 10 years.  Now they just need to build something on the corner of Boush and Bute.

It's alway nice to fill in abandoned parking lots and I have few issues with this building.  That being said, the rendering had a much more interesting facad with different depths than what is actually built.  I am disappointed in how plain this looks compared to what was proposed.  The same can be said for 401 Granby as well.

It's alway nice to fill in abandoned parking lots and I have few issues with this building.  That being said, the rendering had a much more interesting facad with different depths than what is actually built.  I am disappointed in how plain this looks compared to what was proposed.  The same can be said for 401 Granby as well.

I have to agree with you...

Norfolk has to start somewhere.

Just more life in downtown is all i'm concerned about. Maybe one day the city will have better designs / materials/ architecture or taller buildings. I'm very thankful for the Granby and Boush mid rises. Hilton and Waterside will be a catalyst for more retail bars etc. which will bring more offices consolidating from other suburbs for the amenities of an actual medium city downtown which will bring more residential and before you know it norfolk will be a top downtown in USA!!  LETS EXPAND HARBOR PARK AND AIM FOR MLB TEAM! Surround it with a town center + parking garages scenario! AIM HIGH! ODU FOOTBALL DI will bring better bar scene downtown! ST pauls quadrant is a Must. 

Norfolk has to start somewhere.

Just more life in downtown is all i'm concerned about. Maybe one day the city will have better designs / materials/ architecture or taller buildings. I'm very thankful for the Granby and Boush mid rises. Hilton and Waterside will be a catalyst for more retail bars etc. which will bring more offices consolidating from other suburbs for the amenities of an actual medium city downtown which will bring more residential and before you know it norfolk will be a top downtown in USA!!  LETS EXPAND HARBOR PARK AND AIM FOR MLB TEAM! Surround it with a town center + parking garages scenario! AIM HIGH! ODU FOOTBALL DI will bring better bar scene downtown! ST pauls quadrant is a Must. 

All of this stuff is great and lets hope it happens. 

However, Buddy Gaddams presented a rendering that was accepted by the city planning commission and did not deliver.  And really, it's not like he removed some grand detailing, he just decided not to leave patterns gaps in the bricks to add a textural element (see the corner columns on 401 Granby), thus making the whole thing more boring.  I don't think staying to the original design on 401 or 416 would have even cost him more money.

It happens all the time. Developers substitute materials all the time. And if you look at a purchase contract for pre-construction, you will see that they have the right to do so. At 388 Boush, Collins was supposed to install commercial style glass panel windows on the ground floor. Those units are actually on two floors. However, he installed stacked residential windows instead. People were not happy, but there was nothing they could do about it.

• 9 months later...

Archived