Birch County - Possible new county for SC?

Spartan

It seems some people in the northwestern suburbs are looking to create a new county. It looks like it would include the boundaries of Richland-Lexington 5. It would include the towns of Ballentine, Irmo and Chapin and be names "Birch" for those towns. The impetus is that the area is upset by the tax increase to pay for roads. My guess is that they don't want good quality roads and would rather rely on SCDOT to take care of things for them.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/01/11/2585236/push-under-way-to-create-new-county.html#disqus_thread

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would make more sense for them to just annex from Richland County to Lexington County.  The school district is aready across the two counties.  That area of Richland is more like the rest of Lexington County than Richland/ Columbia in just about every way too.  Forming a new county would be expensive and more difficult to pull off too. 

Someone needs a hobby. A new county because of a penny tax, gtfoh :yawn:

I think forming a new county is extreme, but in their defense, the controversy around how the election was conducted (and the aftermath), probably has a much to do with their sentiment as the fact of actually paying the tax itself.  

I think its an example of how close-minded those "leaders" must be. How can anyone not acknowledge that there is a problem with roads and transportation in Richland County? A growing county has to pay for infrastructure, ideally with a dedicated source for that funding. The penny sales tax will ultimately be beneficial to Columbia and Richland County, including the northwest suburbs. Move to Saluda County if you don't want to pay taxes while also having crappy roads.

Archived