Bank of America Stadium Renovation

kermit

I also think the stadium is nice as-is. But as soon the question of public funding is asked, you risk the public asking for a new location, especially if any funding comes from a more regional source than Charlotte. That's what makes the Carowinds vicinity attractive-- more funding!

I have a feeling South Carolina would pay through the nose to say the Panthers moved to or adjacent to South Carolina (not hating on the state, I'm a Gamecock). As to the question about diminishing tailgating space, I have a feeling over time bars and restaurants will move into the area and Third Ward will resemble Wrigleyville in Chicago.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't worry about the tailgaters, I think you'll just see those groups have to move outward slightly. There is already tailgating down West Morehead in Wesley Heights, as far back in Southend as West Blvd, and lots charging for parking on game days are even encroaching into Dilworth on East Morehead. They won't have to spread much farther to make up for the loss of those few lots uptown and the closer spots will just get denser.

Back when the stadium was built uptown, the site was specifically chosen to adhere to the NFL's rule that the supporting infrastructure surrounding the stadium must be able to clear traffic within a certain amount of time after the game ends (I think it was 60 minutes, but might have been as much as 90). Uptown is the only place in our region with a road network capable of that. Also, if you think Charlotte would let the Panther's move the stadium to the SC line, you're dreaming.

• 1 month later...

The ball has started to role on this... $125 million from city/state asked for.  I woudl think this is not the total amount for the renovation and there is some being paid for by the team, but I guess you never know.

I really want details of what the renovations entail hopefully that comes out soon.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/15/3787862/charlotte-to-discuss-panthers.html

sounds like the current plan is to pay the city's share using a 1 cent increment to the prepaired foods tax.

While I don't think this is an awful way to cover the stadium rennovation expense, I am wary since I suspect that this decision will make it tougher to raise sales tax for more transit funding in the future. While I think the Panthers are important, I think transit and infrastructure should be a higher priority.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/15/3787862/charlotte-to-discuss-panthers.html

I still want to hear more details beyond the "new elevators and scoreboards" upgrade. I suspect we'll hear that in due time as this plays out. While $125M isn't a small chunk of change for the Panthers to request, it's a lot less than what I had envisioned. If I had to guess, the team will probably kick in roughly $75-$100M on top of that. I've heard from various outlets that the total on the renovations was to be somewhere in the ballpark of $225M.

As someone who doesn't particularly like football (but loves the panthers simply because it's fun to root for the home town team) I find the new score board and escalators to be rather boring.

I hope the renovations does something for III ward... The state should provide money to... As it benefits the entire region.

I'll be interested to see what renovations will be included in the $225 million. That's way more than the cost of some escalators and a new scoreboard. As a comparison, USC installed a scoreboard last summer for about that is far better than all but the newest NFL stadiums (eg: Dallas) for about $6 million:

new-scoreboard3.jpg

Ok, I'm not rant-prone, but this whole issue has me on the edge of livid. The NFL and its associated organizations are basically smoking cigars made of $100s, and they have the gall to blackmail taxpayers to pay for escalators because their PSL holders are whining about walking a little bit? And now the Charlotte City Council starts this off with a shady, secretive meeting with Panthers officials? That stupid stadium hosts a pathetic 10 events a year at best.

I may be cutting off the nose despite the face, but I say good riddance to the franchise. Let LA build a big fancy multibillion dollar stadium. If the NFL wants a team in the Carolinas, they are clearly capable of paying for it themselves.

Arggh! I need a drink. >_< 

Ok, I'm not rant-prone, but this whole issue has me on the edge of livid. The NFL and its associated organizations are basically smoking cigars made of $100s, and they have the gall to blackmail taxpayers to pay for escalators because their PSL holders are whining about walking a little bit? And now the Charlotte City Council starts this off with a shady, secretive meeting with Panthers officials? That stupid stadium hosts a pathetic 10 events a year at best.

I may be cutting off the nose despite the face, but I say good riddance to the franchise. Let LA build a big fancy multibillion dollar stadium. If the NFL wants a team in the Carolinas, they are clearly capable of paying for it themselves.

Arggh! I need a drink. >_< 

and you are squarely in the minority...

The secretive meeting you refer to is really Jerry Richardson coming up with a way to link the team to Charlotte after he dies. As of now, he owns the stadium and the team. If he wants to walk away...he can. No problem at all. He could literally move tonight and we'd all wake up tomorrow and find the team gone. His sons will not inherit the team when he dies...instead, the team will be sold shortly after his death. Who ever buys the team can then move the team anywhere they choose. By asking the city of Charlotte to kick in some money, Richardson can basically attach some strings from the city to the team. Anyone who buys the team would then be in a position where they are entangled with the city and moving the team wouldn't be so easy.

The team does more for the city of Charlotte than anything you can dream up and then pray for....so I for one am glad they are here and am happy for the city to chip in some on renovations of the stadium.

I'm with jednc on this one. I agree that it's lame that the NFL blackmails it's cities into footing the bill, but it's the world we live in. The Panthers are a massive marketing tool for the city, bring people into it and drive tons of economic activity. Honestly it could be a lot worse. See Miami or Indianapolis.

If Charlotteans are going to pay for the upgrades, then change the name of the bloody team to the Charlotte Panthers.

Amen!

So sick of the region expecting us to constantly pay higher taxes while they live down the road to enjoy all of our amenities and work our jobs that our taxes help subsidize.... And they're always the first one to kick and scream about our tax funded projects when they don't even live here anyway....

If it doesn't impact uptown development or do anything beneficial for III ward, we should push to call it Charlotte Panthers. Unless the region wants to pitch in and pay their fair share ( :D sorry to use that tired phrase)

Amen!

So sick of the region expecting us to constantly pay higher taxes while they live down the road to enjoy all of our amenities and work our jobs that our taxes help subsidize.... And they're always the first one to kick and scream about our tax funded projects when they don't even live here anyway....

If it doesn't impact uptown development or do anything beneficial for III ward, we should push to call it Charlotte Panthers. Unless the region wants to pitch in and pay their fair share ( :D sorry to use that tired phrase)

Your jobs? Charlotte is a job hub because of the region, not because it is a stand alone entity. Everything that Charlotte is, is because of the region it is in. The success of the Panthers is because of the region not the city. Demanding a name change for the vanity of the city will only alienate Charlotte from the rest of the region. While Charlotte should demand some sort of assurance that their money will strongly tie the team to the city, a name change is most definately the wrong road to take.

and you are squarely in the minority...

The secretive meeting you refer to is really Jerry Richardson coming up with a way to link the team to Charlotte after he dies. As of now, he owns the stadium and the team. If he wants to walk away...he can. No problem at all. He could literally move tonight and we'd all wake up tomorrow and find the team gone. His sons will not inherit the team when he dies...instead, the team will be sold shortly after his death. Who ever buys the team can then move the team anywhere they choose. By asking the city of Charlotte to kick in some money, Richardson can basically attach some strings from the city to the team. Anyone who buys the team would then be in a position where they are entangled with the city and moving the team wouldn't be so easy.

Well - Minority has company because the Observer comment section is full of that minority right now.     BTW What proof do you have of that theory (which I assume is what you are suggesting) that the deal includes an ironclad lock in for the Panthers to stay in Charlotte?  

As the flip side of the argument that 125 million is not a huge amount of money  for the city to invest in the Panthers, I suggest it is also not a huge amount of money for the Panthers to lose should they decide to give the bird to Charlotte and head to another city in the future.  

I know, I know - it's absolutely unheard of for a professional sports team to break promises in exchange for money with a city/state.  :whistling:

For the record I don't have an issue with the $125 million though I do have a huge issue with the closed door and police barricade set-up of the meeting agreement.  It smacks Charlotte citizens in the face of stating their voice doesn't matter.   

I also am not a big fan of the food and beverage tax now being 9.25% if this gets passed.    Just because the city has started to get a active downtown restaurant scene the last few years doesn't mean it's now a safe piggy bank for city spending on sports teams.

In the end I repeat that I (grudgingly) support the $125m but think the City Council has got some pair of brass balls to do this in the manner that they have while we still wait for them to pass the city-wide Capital Investment Plan.

As for the name - I still favor the Carolinas in the name, but I wouldn't feel the least bit sad or guilty if there was a tie-in to make it the Charlotte Panthers since it was the Charlotte City council who was asked for the money and it is the Charlotte restaurants and bars that will be forced to increase the bill to customers.

Charlotte is a job hub because of the region, not because it is a stand alone entity. Everything that Charlotte is, is because of the region it is in.

Clarice, are you high? (Steel Magnolias reference for the less aware)

This I flat out disagree with particularly the second sentence.  I really don't think there would be a job attracting region without Charlotte.  That the region has now grown beyond just Charlotte's pull is a fair statement - but let's not kid ourselves here by grossly inflating the region.

A story that broke today highlights why Charlotte City Council decided to bend (and probably should) on giving the Panthers $125M towards renovations. All things considered it isn't a huge chunk of $ in the grand scheme of major league sports facilities. Jerry Richardson has mandated that the team be sold 2 years after his death. Giving the team money (with strings attached) can tie the franchise to the city and make it much more difficult for anyone to come in, buy the team and move them. So to me, write up an agreement with conditions that the buyer not move the team, then give them the money to make the renovations. Case closed. You don't have to be a sports fan to realize that the Panthers do more for this city than if they weren't here. And for the team name? Keep it Carolina Panthers. No need to change it to Charlotte. Why alienate other regions? 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2013/01/jerry-richardson-sale-plans-could-tip.html?page=all

Who actually takes the Observer's comments seriously? 90% of those people live for negativity.

Well - Minority has company because the Observer comment section is full of that minority right now.     

Amen!

Your jobs? Charlotte is a job hub because of the region, not because it is a stand alone entity. Everything that Charlotte is, is because of the region it is in. The success of the Panthers is because of the region not the city. Demanding a name change for the vanity of the city will only alienate Charlotte from the rest of the region. While Charlotte should demand some sort of assurance that their money will strongly tie the team to the city, a name change is most definately the wrong road to take.

But on the same token the Charlotte region is what it is because of Charlotte. Charlotte region wouldn't have football, airports, DNC's, Fort Mill Charlotte Knights, etc. if it weren't for us. So If we're not a stand-alone entity as you say, we shouldn't have to be the only ones to pay taxes.

I rather see them keep the Panthers happy so I'm happy it Passed.

Who actually takes the Observer's comments seriously? 90% of those people live for negativity.

As we'll see on Creative Loafing, WCNC, WBTV, The Meck Deck, and other media outlets I'm sure...

The point is that the "minority" that you imply to tozmervo is far from just a handful of people.  I'm actually not so certain his reaction is the minority view either to be frank.

Giving the team money (with strings attached) can tie the franchise to the city and make it much more difficult for anyone to come in, buy the team and move them

And as I said - whoever heard of a team breaking a promise to taxpayers?   :whistling:

Regardless of favoring the agreement or not - I really think there isn't a debate that this was handled extremely poorly by the city and the Panthers.

As we'll see on Creative Loafing, WCNC, WBTV, The Meck Deck, and other media outlets I'm sure...

The point is that the "minority" that you imply to tozmervo is far from just a handful of people.  I'm actually not so certain his reaction is the minority view either to be frank.

And as I said - whoever heard of a team breaking a promise to taxpayers?   :whistling:

Regardless of favoring the agreement or not - I really think there isn't a debate that this was handled extremely poorly by the city and the Panthers.

I never said tozmervo was part of a minority. I'm just saying you can't base the general population's opinion off a website where a small subset of the greater metro area spend their entire day trolling the site to post ridiculous comments that half the time don't even make sense. I don't like the way the meeting was carried out either. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't give them the money, provided the right strings are attached (team needs to remain here for X amount of time or face a substantial financial penalty). At at the end of the day, keeping the franchise for an investment that in the grand scheme of things is small when it helps shapes the city's future and provides a prestige that only 31 cities in this country have. 

People complain about taxes, it doesn't matter what they are for or how they are allocated.   People always complain about taxes.  The fact is, we are never going to let the Panthers walk, nor are we going to entertain the idea that it could even be a possibility.  The City Council will never let the public vote on giving tax money to the Panthers, and it wouldn't matter if they did (see TWC).  I could care less if it was behind closed doors or if I got a say.  We were going to allow it regardless, I'm glad they just got it done and can move on.

Fix up the stadium and get a freaking Superbowl to Charlotte.  And keep the name Carolina.  It's brand recognition and doesn't make us sound like a bunch of babies like Miami and the Marlins.  Also Charlotte Panthers sounds like a high school team for some reason.

The more universal issue here is that player salaries have continued their meteoric rise and helping to foot that cost is taxpayer funding for these pro stadiums. The Panthers paid something like a million dollars for every sack Charles Johnson had this year! Look, the NFL owners are smart and they know that pitting cities against each other gets them what they want. These games have transpired for years. Don't think for a second that the Panthers wouldn't leave. Just ask folks in Houston, Baltimore, Cleveland, LA, etc. I'm a big Panthers fan and the tax issue disgusts me but until there's a turnaround nationwide in how pro sports are funded cities will be on the hook if they want a home team. 

^Well that's a negative approach to the Panthers organization Losing the Panthers would be a disaster for the city and replacing them with MLS would be nothing like the current impact the Panthers have on the city. NFL is still by far the most popular sports league in this country, MLS is 4th or 5th in popularity and an MLS team just wouldn't have the same economic and social impact as the Panthers. I would love to see an MLS team in Charlotte, but not at the expense of the Panthers.

Archived