UNC Greensboro

DigitalSky

These pics were taken at night in January by my friend D., because his camera has excellent nightshot, much better than mine.

img02105dg.jpg

Ragsdale-Mendenhall Dorm

img02136gq.jpg

Looking towards the UNCG Dining Hall

img02146zw.jpg

The fountain in front of the CAF

img02154zf.jpg

and another pic of it

img02183kw.jpg

the water in the fountain!

img02198an.jpg

the waterfall

img02257xa.jpg

Spencer Dorm

img02270pw.jpg

The space between the Dining Hall and the Quad

img02307bb.jpg

A pond in front of the music building (and the building's reflection)

img02316zz.jpg

A bridge from the music building towards the highrises

img02337lg.jpg

The mini bridge underneath the bridge

img02341av.jpg

The music building in its prestige

img02466ct.jpg

The library (the pretty side, not the ugly 9-story building lol)

img02534gh.jpg

Our new clocktower (that chimes every 15 minutes)

img02637ql.jpg

The Quad

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are more pics, that I took.

euc0ke.jpg

The Elliott Center (EUC)

and these are from when it snowed, well it was a light dusting only

p10100695ax.jpg

View of Gray Drive

p10100718nu.jpg

Reynolds and Grogan highrises

p10100722ft.jpg

looking in the opposite direction

p10100735ug.jpg

The music bldg, yet again

p10100778vy.jpg

And a look from Phillips Dorm towards Market St

ahh, how i loved uncg.  i graduated last may.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really miss the UNCG campus. I went to the School of Music for two years before coming to UNCC for Computer Science, and graduating this May. I didn't realize how nice the Greensboro campus was until I experienced the sad excuse for a campus that Charlotte has. It is really sad that a school with such a great architecture program has such a pitifully designed campus.

UNCG has such a classic American university feel. The density and layout on-campus is great, and it has lots of great retail experiences right on campus pretty much, such as Tate Street, Yumyum's, Carolina Delicatussen, Record Exchange, and even CVS... plus, lots of classic looking old houses (many divided into apartments) that are affordable for rent by college students surround the campus....

UNCC has recently tried to have classic new building designs but it comes off as cheesily retro, and the only thing that you can really walk to from on campus is a couple of "off-campus" apartment complexes. I guess its suburban location set UNCC up for this, but the city could do a better job of encouraging university-friendly development.

Great pics

I attended UNCC as well but I must say I like UNC Greensboro's campus better. UNCG feels old because it is old. UNC-Charlotte is barely 50 years old which is why it has a 1960s feel on older parts of the campus. UNCG was built in the late 1800's and is the second oldest UNC university only UNC-Chapel Hill is older. UNCC is a new suburban university and UNCG is an old urban university. When I was at UNCC there was an effort to make the campus appear more traditional. one example is back in 1997 when the reskinned the library tower from its 1960s look to a stlye thats more traditional with brick. I'm not quite sure if they pulled it off though. I like how UNCG connects with downtown. There is the historic College Hill neighborhood and Greensboro College (another very old college from the 1800s) nestled in between UNCG and downtown. UNCG has is its own college strip Tate Street and is a classic university.

UNCG pics

University_of_North_Carolina_at_Greensboro2.jpg

Baseball-Stadium-Web-Pictur.jpg

music_entrance.jpg

• 5 months later...

I'm the one who took those first pictures posted by cantnot. Thanks for the comments everyone. Cantnot and I will have to make a more up-to-date photo trip through campus. It was freaking freezing at that time. UNCG really is a beautiful campus. It's very photogenic as well. Though, the lighting does make it somewhat eerie at night, especially in the winter when the trees are without foliage.

I suppose college hill is becoming more gentrified today, but to me part of the classic college feel are the single family homes all around a college, that are partitioned into rooming houses. I think the suburban enclosure isn't that bad. And it may give students a feel for how a compact subruban environment can be, versus today's cul-de-sac vinyl villages. I think it's much better than the racks of condos and apartments around UNCC.

Tate street is shorter than 9th street in Durham or Franklin Street in Chapel Hill, but it feels authentic. (My god, that "corner sundries" place is still there...?)

I went to UNCG in 1986, but they didn't have Computer Science as a major back then, and I had to transfer to NC State. But I spent a lot of time familiarizing myself with this campus starting about 1982. Needed to go there for the better library versus my high school, to attend some science clubs I was in, etc. And there was a video arcade on Tate street, and another in the basement of the student center, where I spent a lot of time playing those classic stand-ups.

The changes since then are really formidable.

(It's funny to read descriptions of UNCG in the 1930's when it was "3 miles FROM town"... ha)

Yumyum's.

Yum Yum is only there until they fall prey to UNCG's development plans again. I remember the old store...the first one...that was across the street and down a bit.

I have great memories of that place. My father was taken there by his mom and dad...then he took us. One day before starting college there, I got a job at Yum Yum, met my husband and the rest is history...

• 5 months later...

Archived