Ghentite

Neon District

Some more restaurants would be nice, but I think there need to be more shopping options or something else entertainment-based. 

Oh look, another "me too" arts district. <_<

Let's support Norfolk's arts district. Let's at least get that off the ground and IF they develop some synergy, we can move on to districts in other areas. We don't need one in Portsmouth, we don't need one in VB, we don't need one in Chesapeake, etc. Let's work together on this.

https://pilotonline.com/entertainment/arts/portsmouth-designates-new-arts-district-but-it-won-t-have/article_06f7712b-53da-52d9-9baa-73dc9c05ccc1.html

• Like 1

On one hand, I'm glad that Hampton Roads is embracing and encouraging the arts. On the other hand, like you, I kinda feel like it takes away from the NEON District. NEON gets some (much-deserved) national press from time to time, but if other cities keep trying to build their own arts district, it takes away from Norfolk.

It's like it helps the region grow artistically and hurts the region because it kinda dilutes the waters a bit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vdogg said:

Oh look, another "me too" arts district. <_<

Let's support Norfolk's arts district. Let's at least get that off the ground and IF they develop some synergy, we can move on to districts in other areas. We don't need one in Portsmouth, we don't need one in VB, we don't need one in Chesapeake, etc. Let's work together on this.

https://pilotonline.com/entertainment/arts/portsmouth-designates-new-arts-district-but-it-won-t-have/article_06f7712b-53da-52d9-9baa-73dc9c05ccc1.html

I love how they're essentially designating an arts district, but they're not putting any money towards it, changing any zoning, or... well, doing anything to actually create an arts district. Just making a declaration that "here in thou spot shalt be a district for the arts!"..... I'm sure it'll be a huge success (yawn).

revel-declaresbankruptcy-i-declare-arts-

Edited by HRVT
  • Like 1

Hoping this will post here, but look at what happened to the NEON District today!  

By the way, this sign WILL stay up after the Greyhound building gets torn down and is replaced by the TCC classrooms!

Edited by jeffconn
  • Like 1

There are now signs directing you throughout the area. That’s a pretty big deal IMO...shows the city is committed to making this work. 

Any chance we could rename this thread NEON District?

3C4F8A4E-B05A-49B6-8940-4E5217E554C8.jpeg

8A877B05-E1C6-4795-A6FB-103C7B5DECC1.jpeg

Are there any plans to improve streetscaping in the district? Olney is looking a lot better now, but new sidewalks along that main stretch of Granby would do wonders for the NEON. It looks they haven’t had any serious attention in a couple of decades. Lots of cracks and differently-aged blocks of concrete.

Pedestrian-scale lighting and trees along Granby would be a huge improvement as well. 

8 hours ago, Helium3 said:

Are there any plans to improve streetscaping in the district? Olney is looking a lot better now, but new sidewalks along that main stretch of Granby would do wonders for the NEON. It looks they haven’t had any serious attention in a couple of decades. Lots of cracks and differently-aged blocks of concrete.

Pedestrian-scale lighting and trees along Granby would be a huge improvement as well. 

Exactly.  For illustrative purposes, would you mind posting an example of "pedestrian-scale lighting?"

I just mean these types of lamps:150203_jaa_skinker_street_lights_251_Pri

Granby on the other side of Brambleton (plus most of Downtown) already has them. They recently installed some on Olney too. I just think having them up and down Granby would make the district seem a lot more attractive.

1 hour ago, Helium3 said:

I just mean these types of lamps:150203_jaa_skinker_street_lights_251_Pri

Granby on the other side of Brambleton (plus most of Downtown) already has them. They recently installed some on Olney too. I just think having them up and down Granby would make the district seem a lot more attractive.

So I noticed they put arch lighting along that stretch of Granby, just like the ones down near TCC and all. But I'm not sure if those lights have been turned on yet. There have been nights where I drove through the NEON side of Granby and it's dark (ironic, given the name of the area). More lightpoles would be really nice, esp. if they allowed artists to decorate them.

I keep forgetting this is not going all happen at once, and that it's a work in progress. Just looking at it now versus five years ago is very promising.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BFG said:

So I noticed they put arch lighting along that stretch of Granby, just like the ones down near TCC and all. But I'm not sure if those lights have been turned on yet. There have been nights where I drove through the NEON side of Granby and it's dark (ironic, given the name of the area). More lightpoles would be really nice, esp. if they allowed artists to decorate them.

I keep forgetting this is not going all happen at once, and that it's a work in progress. Just looking at it now versus five years ago is very promising.

That’s great news about the arch lighting being extended to the othe side of Monticello.  My guess is that they will probably debut them during the NEON Festival on Oct. 18.

• Like 1

The two quotes that stood out...

Vincent Mastracco Jr., a lawyer who has been involved in several downtown development projects, said he had a lunch meeting Friday to gather details on the property for somebody “interested in doing things in Norfolk.” He declined to identify the client or the other parties who attended.

I'd definitely love to know who this is. It sounds like someone from outside the area and believes in the untapped potential here.

Arthur “Brother” Rutter, managing partner at Rutter Mills law firm, owns three buildings and a few parking lots in the arts district. He’s an advocate of the neighborhood and wants more people living in it to bring restaurants and shops to the area. Rutter sees The Pilot property as an opportunity for a public-private partnership with the city. He’d like Norfolk to consider investing in a parking garage there to complement a mixed-use project.

Though Rutter laments the possibility of losing the newspaper as a neighbor, he says the silver lining is in the potential to enhance the city's cultural center.

“Any major developer downtown would be interested in thinking about that because it will be a landmark project – no pun intended,” he said. “Everybody would say, ‘Yeah, at the right price, I certainly would like to think about a project there.’ ”

Anyone ever heard of City Museum in St. Louis? I've only read bits and pieces about it, but I think the NEON District could use something along those lines, and the Pilot building seems to have enough space for a smaller-scale version.

I know it's too early to know anything, but it would behoove Norfolk to do something other than luxury apartments. I would think a creative space and retail should be considered as well, given the area, and especially if you incorporate TCC into the mix. Maybe even a restaurant.

Whatever happens to the Pilot's building, I hope Norfolk will do all it can to keep the Pilot in the city and not let it move to Virginia Beach.  Move the Pilot into another building Downtown.  Great to hear there is a lot of interest in the building. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 2:23 PM, skylinefan said:

Whatever happens to the Pilot's building, I hope Norfolk will do all it can to keep the Pilot in the city and not let it move to Virginia Beach.  Move the Pilot into another building Downtown.  Great to hear there is a lot of interest in the building. 

Based on the article I read about this, I wouldn't expect them to consolidate their office space to any one spot, they are probably just going to rent office space in an office park of some sort. The possibility of redeveloping the current site is huge for Norfolk, though what was interesting was there was mention that this might be a location for the community college to move to with their current redeveloping of the old bus station. I am wondering how realistic this would be since they have invested so much in their current location. It would be odd for an urban community college to spread out in that manner between two very different locations. If they did make the Pilot site their new campus, that would really open up a possibility for their current site to be renovated into apartments and office space, which could generate revenue for the college.