Ghentite

Norfolk Arts District

88 posts in this topic

Love it. I hope they do it but it makes me wonder how plausible this all is with the projects so close by. I wish the city would move forward with eliminating them.

I hear ya.  There are projects to the east, but Ghent connects from the north and the Hague ($$$) connects from the West.  And right now most of those places in the proposed area are completely vacant.  It's a ghost town.  So hopefully, it won't really matter.

I have been calling for that area north of Brambleton to become the city's art district, it is good to see it might actually be starting to stick and something that could actually happen.  I think it is a great idea and could definitely see that area taking off with galleries, restaurants, and condos.

I have been calling for that area north of Brambleton to become the city's art district, it is good to see it might actually be starting to stick and something that could actually happen.  I think it is a great idea and could definitely see that area taking off with galleries, restaurants, and condos.

are you talking norfolk of brambleton heading NOrfolk on Granby?

Someone proposed calling the district NoBra (North Brambleton).  I like it.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: at NoBra...

I wonder if there's plans to put a smaller theater in one of the spaces. Not so much a Naro, but something similar to the Little Theater in West Ghent, or Generic Theater that used to be on 21st. Something with, say 100-200 seats and a small stage.

I usually think the abbreviation names for neighborhoods are pretty stupid, but NoBra is pretty damn funny, would love to see that one catch on in a sort of tongue in cheek fashion.

Someone should open a cafe, restuarant, or art gallery there and call it NoBra.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: at NoBra...

I wonder if there's plans to put a smaller theater in one of the spaces. Not so much a Naro, but something similar to the Little Theater in West Ghent, or Generic Theater that used to be on 21st. Something with, say 100-200 seats and a small stage.

The Generic Theater that used to be in 21st Street is now located at Chrysler Hall, in the basement under the main building.  It's a pretty nice venue, but it can be difficult to find.  I don't know if they would consider relocating again.  It would probably depend on the rental rates.

They need to start with that old funiture store.  I think they could make it work honestly...its a tattoo parlor there now, that is considered art too right?

I hope BESS pawnshop moves, but i'm sure they won't.  That space would make a great jazz club, open mic, etc...

going to try and make it home that weekend and support...

Yeah it should be a great weekend.  There's been a ton of volunteers in the planning meetings.  We're running a paint drive to help our starving artists in the district in the old Zedd's lot.  They're also planning on creating a beer garden there.  Someone else is opening up a coffee shop/gallery for the weekend, and there are a few other pop-up shops you'll see.  And of course, there are some great art ideas that have been pitched.  Lots of great community involvement in this, including city leaders who have shown up at meetings to support it. 

Here's a small update:  http://norfolklive.blogspot.com/2013/03/arts-district-will-connect-downtown-to.html

How about combining Granby and Brambleton = Granbleton Arts District

Just a thought since its near the intersection

I walked by it every day whle it was being constructed. I think it's ugly and does not fit in with MacArthur Square, but that's my opinion.

The Arts District has officially been established via the ordinance change tonight.  This changes outdated regs and zoning in the area.  This will make it much more business friendly.  This ordinance is what has been holding that area back for some many years.  Huge win for development in that area.

Great move, although I never really doubted Norfolk would go for this one. I really look forward to the future of that district!

Wish I could afford a photography studio down there. That seems like it would be cool.  Perhaps, have classes of different types, and do photography work all the same. Some of those buildings have exposed brick (which I love), and deep enough to support a studio of some type... If I didn't have a family, I could afford that easily, lol.

Wish I could afford a photography studio down there. That seems like it would be cool.  Perhaps, have classes of different types, and do photography work all the same. Some of those buildings have exposed brick (which I love), and deep enough to support a studio of some type... If I didn't have a family, I could afford that easily, lol.

You should check out Alchemy NFK.  They're renting out one of the buildings down there and are about to fix it up.  Basically, their turning the place into a center for artists, photographers and musicians to sublet and turn into their own individual studios at a much more affordable cost.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/AlchemyNFK?fref=ts