Zip The Grand

John E

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds to me like it's going over the river.

What We Do

Now in its second year of development, Zip the Grand will bring an exciting addition to downtown Grand Rapids, MIchigan.  Reaching 700' across the historic Grand River, we will deliver the first zip line across a major waterway in the State of Michigan.  In addition to the amazing thrill ride that allows riders to glide across a total of 1400' over the Grand River while viewing the amazing downtown architecture, riders will have the ability to test their skill and coordination while climbing high atop the five-story ropes/challenge course.  Ninety to one hundred people can enjoy the structure that will safely insure a great adventure for thrill seekers of all ages.  With the patented technology of Ropes Courses, Inc., we can provide the same state of the art technology that families are enjoying at locations including the Mall of America in Minneapolis as well as Disney, Shanghai

Reaching 700' across the historic Grand River

Good to know our river isn't one of those copycat newfangled rivers that have sprung up in recent years...

This sounds like a great flash-in-the-pan idea. As a condition of approval, the city should require that the builders put down a deposit that will take care of dismantling the zip line when (not if) it goes bust.

Good to know our river isn't one of those copycat newfangled rivers that have sprung up in recent years...

This sounds like a great flash-in-the-pan idea. As a condition of approval, the city should require that the builders put down a deposit that will take care of dismantling the zip line when (not if) it goes bust.

I think that's a good idea. Plus require them to make regular maintenance to the structures, even in the off-season (repaint, repair broken pieces), not cover the towers with giant tarps or plastic in the off season (yuck). Plus, they'd have to ensure that people didn't climb on the structure at night and in the off-season. A lot of things to take into consideration.

I don't think this zip line will be very successful. When do you staff the zip line? Would you staff the zip line all day including weekdays? The only possible time it would bring people downtown would be during the weekends. Not very many people visit downtown during the weekends to start off. I'll say this zip line will go bust 2-3 years after it's built. I love the idea, I'll ride the thing at least once, but this ain't no Cedar Point attraction. 

I don't think this zip line will be very successful. When do you staff the zip line? Would you staff the zip line all day including weekdays? The only possible time it would bring people downtown would be during the weekends. Not very many people visit downtown during the weekends to start off. I'll say this zip line will go bust 2-3 years after it's built. I love the idea, I'll ride the thing at least once, but this ain't no Cedar Point attraction. 

Is it the city's job to ask what a good or bad business idea is? I don't think so.

Not sure if I like the idea in the heart of downtown. Maybe a bit further south apart of the park system. While the concept is cool, it would look fairly tacky next to expensive towers. . 

I don't know why they didn't stick with the original location, just North of the I-196 bridges? There's DDA land on the East bank that is not being used, and the park near the fish ladder on the other side underutilized. Parking by the fish ladder for school groups. Sure, it wouldn't be a scenic as right downtown, but you'd get a great view of the dam and fishermen (people). Or maybe the anglers thought it would be disruptive?

I hope they have good security procedures.  Otherwise, some drunken douchebag at 3:00 AM is going to break his neck / drown and spoil the fun for everyone.  Remember the WLAV river raft event?

That being said, I don't want to sound like a negative nelly.  I think it sounds like a fun thing.

I don't know why they didn't stick with the original location, just North of the I-196 bridges? There's DDA land on the East bank that is not being used, and the park near the fish ladder on the other side underutilized. Parking by the fish ladder for school groups. Sure, it wouldn't be a scenic as right downtown, but you'd get a great view of the dam and fishermen (people). Or maybe the anglers thought it would be disruptive?

I like that location better too.  Also, zipping alongside the freeway traffic would be cool.

MLive addressed it, though it's incomplete:

Previous plans would have located the zipline just north of the I-196 (Gerald R. Ford Freeway) bridge, but Brey said the sale of the former Grand Rapids Press headquarters building to Michigan State University, and the parking lot properties that went with it, threw a wrench in those plans last year.

Is it the city's job to ask what a good or bad business idea is? I don't think so.

Thinking about this some more. Your large, distinctive, potentially abandonable land uses (cell towers) typically have to post a removal bond, and there are other requirements that would be imposed in the approval process. Pretty sure even our flexible form-based code doesn't have a category for tall riverside recreational uses.

Usually the more volatile projects fall out in permitting. An applicant unable to afford, say, the fees for the special land use hearing, might need to return to the drawing board.

If I were these folks, I'd figure out a way to use a temporary tower or crane, have it be very popular for a few months, then take it away and let demand build up again. Several posters have made good points about staffing, after-hours security, and inclement weather. It's a fun idea, also an attractive nuisance.

Thinking about this some more. Your large, distinctive, potentially abandonable land uses (cell towers) typically have to post a removal bond, and there are other requirements that would be imposed in the approval process. Pretty sure even our flexible form-based code doesn't have a category for tall riverside recreational uses.

Usually the more volatile projects fall out in permitting. An applicant unable to afford, say, the fees for the special land use hearing, might need to return to the drawing board.

If I were these folks, I'd figure out a way to use a temporary tower or crane, have it be very popular for a few months, then take it away and let demand build up again. Several posters have made good points about staffing, after-hours security, and inclement weather. It's a fun idea, also an attractive nuisance.

I certainly can see that. And I would vehemently oppose it being placed right by the Blue Bridge with zippers going right over the bridge (unless it was an ArtPrize installation that would be gone in two weeks, like the giant table and chairs). Plus, a lot of trees would have to be removed by FedExKinkos by the river. That would be another deal breaker for that location.

I was mainly commenting about people talking about the whole "idea" of a zip line not being a long-lasting business. I don't know if it's the city's job to determine that. I'd say the same about all these ice cream places where you make your own. They'll all be gone in two years. But if they can pay the rent, and not destroy the place (be a nuisance), then who cares. Let them give it a go.

They apparently can't use the land North of I-196 because the county land on the East bank can't be "developed." They may want to look at Millennium Park. Have it fly over the splash pad area or something.

Archived