15(+) Story Office Building Planned for Downtown

Richmonopoly

Didn't the plan used to show 20 floors to lease. I'm afraid it only shows 3 floors available because they've cut off two floors already. The penthouse is going to be MW, I'm 99% sure, and it doesn't show that it is for lease.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't the plan used to show 20 floors to lease. I'm afraid it only shows 3 floors available because they've cut off two floors already. The penthouse is going to be MW, I'm 99% sure, and it doesn't show that it is for lease.

Oh yeah, you're right.  I don't know why I was thinking that the penthouse floor was for lease too (must have been their color coding that threw me off).  All it shows is that it is "committed."  So, the news it actually better than I thought - only 3 floors need to be leased before the building is fully leased at 19 floors.  Again, it would be nice to see someone take more than just 3 floors.  I'd like to see this building go to its maximum potential as far as height is concerned.  I guess that's the best we can hope for since a roofline design change will likely not happen.

I can't remember what the original floor number was.  I do remember that the height could go as high as 22 or 23 floors.  Perhaps they gave up on leasing that many floors.  I would hope not though.

I'd like to see it grow but here's the problem... Let's say you are a company downtown or considering downtown. You can pay $37-40 per square foot on a full service basis to be in this building, or you can pay $22-25 per square foot full service in James Center or Riverfront Plaza. If you are a full floor, 20,000 s.f. user, that's about $770,000 per year to be in Gateway Plaza or about $470,000 per year to be in James Center or Riverfront Plaza. So, you'd have to ask yourself is it worth (or can you justify to a board, CFO, etc) an extra $300,000 per year or $3,000,000 over a 10 year term to be in Gateway Plaza versus another building downtown?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow!  Looks like they're not going to do too much digging - only 60-foot deep columns that go into the ground for the foundation.  I guess none of the parking will go underground, which really surprises me.  With the parking and the building stacked on top of each other, it would stand to reason that the building might be taller, but I guess this particular parcel has a lot of surface area!  Thanks for posting the article.  Now, we just have to get our "UP camera men" out there to take photos of the progress...and post them as progress happens!

• 2 weeks later...

The wedsite now (maybe it as for a while) has 20 floors plus a mechanical room. There are also some slightly different renderings. I really like this building a whole lot (of course another 20 looks nd I'd adore it). Looks like the top will be pretty at night.

The ground floor looks great and the transition from parking deck to high rise looks really good too- light and airy!

I don't even think the developer knows how high the building will actually be since they still hope to find some tenants to fill some more space by the time they get to finalizing the height of this building.  In any case, I hope that it makes it to, at least, 20 stories - PLEASE, for the love of Pete!  

While I'm at it...any new developments on the site or are they still digging holes and filling them with concrete?  Any new equipment on site?  Photos?  Thanks!

I don't even think the developer knows how high the building will actually be since they still hope to find some tenants to fill some more space by the time they get to finalizing the height of this building.  In any case, I hope that it makes it to, at least, 20 stories - PLEASE, for the love of Pete!  

While I'm at it...any new developments on the site or are they still digging holes and filling them with concrete?  Any new equipment on site?  Photos?  Thanks!

Are digging holes or drilling holes?  There is reason why I asked.

Are digging holes or drilling holes?  There is reason why I asked.

Yeah, it was reported by Richmondbizsense a couple or few weeks ago that they are drilling 60-foot holes (until they reach granite, I believe) which is a precursor to laying the foundation for the building.  I just didn't know how long it would take and was wondering if it was still going on.

I found the article to which I am referring here:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2013/08/26/let-the-digging-begin/'>http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2013/08/26/let-the-digging-begin/

This building is going to look very nice! There are large renderings affixed to the construction fence. The vertical ornamentation goes along the entire east side. Sadly, the rendering shows on 17 floors (and the mechanical room). The specs have the poor heights at 14.5 feet so it should have some good height (especially with the additional floors listed on the development site).

Oops, nasty typos!

I think the renderings are just copies of the same photo from the web site and it hasn't been updated for a long time -- wouldn't read anything into it.

That said, I think the way they're covering the mechanical room will make the apparent height close enough to 20 stories that it won't look like the runt of the litter.

Formal ground-breaking ceremony is Tuesday, btw.

According to the web site, September 2013 is the deadline for adding floors to the structure:

"For a limited time (until September 2013), additional floors can be added to the existing 15-story plan. This gives leading-edge companies like yours a chance to become part of a new multi-tenant office tower, designed from the inside out to meet today’s business needs."

According to the web site, September 2013 is the deadline for adding floors to the structure:

"For a limited time (until September 2013), additional floors can be added to the existing 15-story plan. This gives leading-edge companies like yours a chance to become part of a new multi-tenant office tower, designed from the inside out to meet today’s business needs."

...and I read an article today about the groundbreaking ceremony that NO other tenents have signed on to share the tower with McGuireWoods!!!  WTF?!  Not good.

Last sentence of this article:

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/index.php/news/article/clayco-breaks-ground-on-gateway-plaza-in-downtown-richmond/

The article did mention that the building would be 18 stories though.  So, I guess we're still not sure how tall this building will be!

18 it is -- based on the intensity of interest, though no actual tenants signed up.  Notably, the penthouse is available - contrary to my previous representations.  Wonder if the Bull & Bear Club might be looking to make a move --> their current space is horrendous. 

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2013/09/17/towers-tale-gets-a-few-more-stories/

Archived