15(+) Story Office Building Planned for Downtown

Richmonopoly

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a newer rendering (the ones on site and on the website now) that show the decorative pieces at the top extended along the entire southern and eastern sides. Originally only the penthouse or mechanical room had that screen....

I've seen the two drawings used without any consistency in the bizzsense and RTD articles. A few months back there was a blurb about how the screen would be extended across the entire length if the building. Before the renderings showed a small bump up on the SE corner with the screening..

Actually, the bizzsense link a few posts back shows both the old and new design. The folks are standing in front of the new design, the photo further down shows the old configuration. I like the new better, but the older one had a few more things (bump outs and ups) going on.

The awning at the first floor and the treatment of the parking deck wall are different in the two drawings as well. I like the new design much better. The lines are more clean and the textures more consistent.

When is completion estimated? I believe it's sometime next summer? That will be quick.

Why doesn't Richmond just fast track a bunch of other projects like this and the Skins training camp? If we moved at the pace to get ground moving like we did at these two projects, we would have a new baseball stadium and arena by now......

(Of course there is the money factor....)

Why doesn't Richmond just fast track a bunch of other projects like this and the Skins training camp? If we moved at the pace to get ground moving like we did at these two projects, we would have a new baseball stadium and arena by now......

(Of course there is the money factor....)

You have answered your own question.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so the vehicle entrance to the building is going to be off the current cobblestone alley?  I had assume that it would face the Manchester Bridge.  Anybody have an idea whether it will be possible to turn left from 9th street onto the cobblestone street to get into the building or are folks coming from the downtown expressway going to have to go all the way up to Main Street and make a loop. 

ftp://ftp.ci.richmond.va.us/PDR/Urban%20Design%20Committee/UDC%20meeting%20packet%2010-10-13.pdf

Okay, so the vehicle entrance to the building is going to be off the current cobblestone alley?  I had assume that it would face the Manchester Bridge.  Anybody have an idea whether it will be possible to turn left from 9th street onto the cobblestone street to get into the building or are folks coming from the downtown expressway going to have to go all the way up to Main Street and make a loop. 

ftp://ftp.ci.richmond.va.us/PDR/Urban%20Design%20Committee/UDC%20meeting%20packet%2010-10-13.pdf

I saw nothing to suggest that the alley would no longer be accessible from 9th St.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like the rest of the tower crane parts have arrived now!

The whole crane is up now.  I watched them put it together today online!  It's not very high now, but the additional pieces needed for it to go higher are on site.  Amazing how they put it together and the fact that it took them all day to do it!  I also saw some crazy guys at the very top assisting in its assembly who were leaning back on their harnesses as if the height were nothing!  Now that's a job I couldn't do...too scared of heights!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I was thinking the other day what possible uses could be made of the Massey plot that will remain undeveloped (at least for the time being) on the other side of the cobblestones from the Gateway Tower.  Last year, I was in Portland, Oregon a few times and really blown away by the food trucks that are allowed to stay in one spot without leaving every night.  There are literally parking lots the size of a normal city block that have nothing but food carts facing out to the sidewalks and the quality of food is amazing.  Wouldn't it be great if they leased "spots" to 8-10 food trucks on the Massey parcel, at least until a permanent proposal comes along for that land?

portland2.jpg

Archived