Richmonopoly

15(+) Story Office Building Planned for Downtown

It is indeed too short, but the tallest it could have been is two stories more given the parking limitations and the desire not to dig down.  The main tenant is beginning its move into the building in early May, believe it or not.

Two things:

1).  I'm with everyone else.  The location would have seemed to be perfect for our tallest tower.  

2).  It's good to see the RVA board so active again.  Welcome newcomers.  (Burt would have been pleased)...

• Like 4

Two things:

1).  I'm with everyone else.  The location would have seemed to be perfect for our tallest tower.  

2).  It's good to see the RVA board so active again.  Welcome newcomers.  (Burt would have been pleased)...

Yeah! Love to see the activity on this board again! There's too much going on to not be talking about it all! Keep it up everyone.

What does it take to keep this board active?!?!  

The NC boards are ridiculously active; however, Richmond is quickly climbing the ranks and often among the tops in many-a category!  

Help update our boards people.  

Any new photos of RVA's newest office tower?

Looks good, but dang, we should have an iconic tower in the center of that skyline! I'm holding out that Dominion Power builds an iconic tower soon next to their current downtown building. I know that they own the ugly building and land on the block just west of their current tower and they've been moving more and more people downtown as if they are looking to make a big move soon...at least that's my idea of what they might be doing. I'm sure they'd want everyone under one roof in a 40+ story building downtown...I just know they do! Holding out hope!

Raleigh and Charlotte both received iconic energy buildings.  I trulyyyyy hope that Dominion Power follows suit.  I am itching for the day that DP makes an announcement....

Could you image!?

• Like 1

Raleigh and Charlotte both received iconic energy buildings.  I trulyyyyy hope that Dominion Power follows suit.  I am itching for the day that DP makes an announcement....

Could you image!?

Oh, it would be awesome for sure! :good:

As contrarian as this sounds, I kinda like the human scale of our skyline.  Charleston, SC doesn't have a "signature" tower, and I would much rather be compared to them than Raleigh or Charlotte.    I also would hate to think about the traffic effects of a 40 story monster emptying onto one or two streets every day around 5 p.m.

As contrarian as this sounds, I kinda like the human scale of our skyline.  Charleston, SC doesn't have a "signature" tower, and I would much rather be compared to them than Raleigh or Charlotte.    I also would hate to think about the traffic effects of a 40 story monster emptying onto one or two streets every day around 5 p.m.

Don't be scared.  Embrace it...embrace urban living.  What you describe is what urban living is all about.

• Like 1

Oh no.  You are starting to sound like a NIMBY suburbanite.  :D   Though I still luv ya.  :wub:

Edited by Shakman

Hey, I still want a big signature tower downtown -- if only to give our skyline some "pop".  All I'm saying is that I wouldn't trade our urban core for Charlotte's and they've got signature towers coming out their butt. 

I recently read that one of the many things that helped destroy Detroit's downtown was when GM built their huge gleaming skyscraper to consolidate all of their operations that were previously in a number of smaller buildings downtown.  Once they had the big building (with tons of amenities and restaurants inside) the interaction between the building inhabitants and the street essentially stopped, starving a number of long-standing businesses of customers. 

TowneBank will take 28,000 square feet in the building and have its name atop the tower.

http://m.richmond.com/business/local/article_38930ac5-ceec-5ea5-9491-2da0ab0ff9c9.html?mode=jqm

I think this is the link you're looking for?

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_3d1b49a4-9bf7-55f6-af6d-62a680c3db1a.html

The RTD article indicated that both Towne Bank and McGuireWoods would have their names on the tower.  I'm virtually positive that is incorrect -- MW doesn't want naming rights.

The RTD article indicated that both Towne Bank and McGuireWoods would have their names on the tower.  I'm virtually positive that is incorrect -- MW doesn't want naming rights.

I am sure they misspoke.  BizSense says no such thing:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2015/05/20/bank-grabs-hq-space-in-new-tower/ 

I heard a rumor today that Panera Bread maybe moving into one of the open retail spots on the first floor of Gateway Plaza.  Anyone else hear this? 

I heard a rumor today that Panera Bread maybe moving into one of the open retail spots on the first floor of Gateway Plaza.  Anyone else hear this? 

Not true.  They have signed a restaurant, but I can't say which one. 

When driving north across the 9th street bridge, facing the city, the distance between the Dominion building and McGuire's new building is very pronounced.  The image below try's to describe that location but doesn't really show the gap as it appears due to the photo angle.  The other image was taken while at the bike race - corner of 7th & main - you can see the top of the new building.  As buildings approach the river they take on an office park mentality and want to be surrounded by land or park like settings.  The existing Dominion high rise is on a pedestal making it seem higher as well and the Federal reserve does the same.  Up close the the new McGuire Woods headquarters is a nice building but hurt some by the width of the roads surrounding it and the overall size of the space it's trying to fill between Dominion & the James Center. 

Views.jpg

Edited by hikendesign
  • Like 1

Richmond Bizsense has an article about the completion of the Gateway Plaza project with some interior photos and discussion about interior components.  One picture caught my attention - the image of Kanawa Plaza and how it looks.  Not sure when that was taken but hope to get that completed soon and looking better.  A building straddling that would be nice someday.  Is more open space needed now that we're really utilizing the river and it's open space?  article here - http://richmondbizsense.com/2015/10/20/a-peek-inside-downtowns-newest-office-tower/

Gateway-Plaza-view1-600x400.jpg

Too bad that access to the Federal Reserve building is so restricted.  This picture has me envisioning Kanawha hovering above the expressway and flowing around the Fed building providing additional riverfront access.  

But...I'm a dreamer...