15(+) Story Office Building Planned for Downtown

Richmonopoly

The subterranean levels are under much of the green space. Don't forget only about half the building area is above ground. The Fed hypothetically moving means the Fed leaving downtown, which would never be a good thing. Not to mention with the banking power shift in this region from Richmond to Charlotte over the past 100 years, perhaps it would give them an opportunity to rethink where the district HQ is located. All bad things unless we are playing SimCity.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

The subterranean levels are under much of the green space. Don't forget only about half the building area is above ground. The Fed hypothetically moving means the Fed leaving downtown, which would never be a good thing. Not to mention with the banking power shift in this region from Richmond to Charlotte over the past 100 years, perhaps it would give them an opportunity to rethink where the district HQ is located. All bad things unless we are playing SimCity.

Agreed, the fed is a major economic resource and having the fed leave would be devastating; we would lose any competitive edge we have in the realm of banking and finance. 

On 9/9/2016 at 6:37 PM, eandslee said:

I like it!  Great photos too - thanks!  Now if we can just get some constant foot traffic. Every photo I see of that place has no one in the photo...completely dead. 

I meant to say something about this when I saw it the other day, I've seen a lot of people commenting on foot traffic throughout the city so I'd thought I'd finally lay out my thoughts on it.

Don't feel to bad about foot traffic in the CBD/Finance District. Simple fact of the matter is that this is a place where people work then go home at the end of the day. Especially with most of the designs of the towers downtown where the parking is underground or attached, people can go to work and go home without ever stepping foot on the sidewalk.

To give you some contrast, up in NYC, its CBD, the Wall Street area in lower Manhattan, is deserted 90% of the time. Outside of the touristy spots like the 9-11 Memorial and Wall Street itself, the CBD in lower Manhattan is no different than Richmond's when it comes to foot traffic. I've been down there plenty of time around 7pm and will not see a soul around me. There are a few restaurants but they mainly cater to the business crowd for lunch. All those pictures and videos of the busy NYC streets with people in suits speed walking on their cell phone are a little misleading. It's not always like that, that's like rush hour, and 75%-90% of those people are walking to work from public transit stations (subway, bus, etc.). That is the simple answer to how you get your sidewalks packed, you make public transit more appealing or viable when compared to driving (I had to buy a car when I moved here, never had one in ny, thus I walked most places).

So, again, don't feel bad about the foot traffic in the CBD, it's perfectly normal for the part of town full of banks and law firms to be dead after 5pm. We want our foot traffic in places like Broad Street, Cary Town, and Shockoe Slip; whenever I'm out and about in those areas I see a nice amount of foot traffic. 

Archived