15(+) Story Office Building Planned for Downtown

Richmonopoly

• 1 month later...

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This past weekend I went to the Oregon Hill Overlook.  This tower is very dominate from this angle.  Once I figure how to post photos, I will share them on this thread.

I also noticed the tower is different from the renderings.  The east half of the tower is not recessed as indicated along the Cary Street elevation.  It is flush with the west half.

This past weekend I went to the Oregon Hill Overlook.  This tower is very dominate from this angle.  Once I figure how to post photos, I will share them on this thread.

I also noticed the tower is different from the renderings.  The east half of the tower is not recessed as indicated along the Cary Street elevation.  It is flush with the west half.

I think you're right.  Looking forward to your photos!

Darn it!!!  I am having issues downloading the photos from Photobucket.   :angry:

I will keep trying.

Once you get them on Photobucket, the site provides a url link for each photo.  By simply copying and pasting the link into these text boxes and putting "" before the link and "" after the link, a link to the photo should show up here.  It should be pretty easy to do...unless you meant that you have having trouble uploading the photos onto Photobucket.

Note:  I tried to use the image tags before and after an address, but I got an error message saying that those aren't allowed on this site.  So, I'd accept just a basic link.  I don't know why you can't use an HTML image tag...hmmmmmm.....

Just FYI - the tower crane has been raised even higher to accommodate topping the tower out with steal.  All steal should be in place probably within the week or so.  Still wish this thing would go taller and feel that this was a good opportunity missed.  Who knows when the next tower this size or taller will be built in Richmond again.  I hope it's sooner rather than later, but we'll see.  I certainly have enjoyed watching this one go up!

Eandslee I really hope so too, You are very right on about this one we missed a big opportunity for this property but I guess the market dictates what gets built. If only there was a company out there big enough to give RVA a new tallest tower. I really wanna see something around 550 to 600 feet in downtown richmond. You think about the James Monroe building and it is at 449 feet i think it is but anyways I would like to see something taller but still compliment the james monroe building to an extent. I don't want us to look like taipei taiwan where you have the taipei 101 tower around 100's of thousands smaller buildings. I mean when I look at that building its like goliath compared to everything else.

Also I will tell ya I have waited my whole lifetime to see something built taller than what our tallest is. I was born in 1988 and probably the tallest thing I saw rise but was way way to young to remember it would be riverfront plaza. I keep hoping every day to go to Richmondbizsense or timesdispatch to see breaking news about RVA getting a new tallest building.

I keep hoping every day to go to Richmondbizsense or timesdispatch to see breaking news about RVA getting a new tallest building.

Yes, I, like you, keep looking for some super-duper announcement on the web as well. Really, all the city needs to do is make downtown more attractive for business and for living and then all the big suburban companies will want to move downtown. I think that this is already happening a little, but there has to be more incentives to get the ball rolling a bit more. The city can do more, but this stadium crisis is not helping. No business wants to reside amongst a bunch of baffoons. I wish that people would just get their act together!

City taxes (relative to much lower taxes in the counties) are a big problem for a lot of companies. The cost for parking downtown vs suburbs already puts it at an economic disadvantage. Find a way to close the gap and I think you'd see a lot more people looking downtown.

We just need city government to step in and make downtown attractive for business and for property owners. In Austin, TX the mayor had a goal to add 10,000 new residents to the downtown area and did it through sweetening the attractiveness of living downtown (lowered taxes, etc.). If Richmond could do the same, you might see a Richmond boom town like Austin is today! It's all about who you elect to be your leaders. I don't think we currently have the leaders that have such a vision unfortunately.

Still trying.  What you suggested is not working.  I am starting to wonder if it is my puter.

These photos have to be posted.  This tower is 99% visible from this angle.

Sorry, you are having so much trouble. You can send the photos to me in an email and I can post them for you! My email address is [email protected].

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took many walks and drives around Gateway Plaza this past weekend.  I counted 18-floors total.  Will there be any exterior lighting component? 

If I remember correctly, I think so.  I think I remember there being a neat lighting feature at the very top of the building.

I hope so.  The skyline is in bad need of exterior lighting features.  The edge of the set backs on top of Two James are no longer lit.  Also I am not sure why the top of Riverfront Plaza's East Tower is no longer lit.  Hopefully this is just temporary as part of Hines' renovation of both towers.

Archived