15(+) Story Office Building Planned for Downtown

Richmonopoly

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things:

1).  I'm with everyone else.  The location would have seemed to be perfect for our tallest tower.  

2).  It's good to see the RVA board so active again.  Welcome newcomers.  (Burt would have been pleased)...

Yeah! Love to see the activity on this board again! There's too much going on to not be talking about it all! Keep it up everyone.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks good, but dang, we should have an iconic tower in the center of that skyline! I'm holding out that Dominion Power builds an iconic tower soon next to their current downtown building. I know that they own the ugly building and land on the block just west of their current tower and they've been moving more and more people downtown as if they are looking to make a big move soon...at least that's my idea of what they might be doing. I'm sure they'd want everyone under one roof in a 40+ story building downtown...I just know they do! Holding out hope!

• 2 weeks later...

As contrarian as this sounds, I kinda like the human scale of our skyline.  Charleston, SC doesn't have a "signature" tower, and I would much rather be compared to them than Raleigh or Charlotte.    I also would hate to think about the traffic effects of a 40 story monster emptying onto one or two streets every day around 5 p.m.

As contrarian as this sounds, I kinda like the human scale of our skyline.  Charleston, SC doesn't have a "signature" tower, and I would much rather be compared to them than Raleigh or Charlotte.    I also would hate to think about the traffic effects of a 40 story monster emptying onto one or two streets every day around 5 p.m.

Don't be scared.  Embrace it...embrace urban living.  What you describe is what urban living is all about.

Oh no.  You are starting to sound like a NIMBY suburbanite.  :D   Though I still luv ya.  :wub:

Hey, I still want a big signature tower downtown -- if only to give our skyline some "pop".  All I'm saying is that I wouldn't trade our urban core for Charlotte's and they've got signature towers coming out their butt. 

I recently read that one of the many things that helped destroy Detroit's downtown was when GM built their huge gleaming skyscraper to consolidate all of their operations that were previously in a number of smaller buildings downtown.  Once they had the big building (with tons of amenities and restaurants inside) the interaction between the building inhabitants and the street essentially stopped, starving a number of long-standing businesses of customers. 

• 2 weeks later...

TowneBank will take 28,000 square feet in the building and have its name atop the tower.

http://m.richmond.com/business/local/article_38930ac5-ceec-5ea5-9491-2da0ab0ff9c9.html?mode=jqm

I think this is the link you're looking for?

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_3d1b49a4-9bf7-55f6-af6d-62a680c3db1a.html

The RTD article indicated that both Towne Bank and McGuireWoods would have their names on the tower.  I'm virtually positive that is incorrect -- MW doesn't want naming rights.

I am sure they misspoke.  BizSense says no such thing:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2015/05/20/bank-grabs-hq-space-in-new-tower/ 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived