15(+) Story Office Building Planned for Downtown

Richmonopoly

I think the design didn't win the city's competition and the support structure wouldn't be able to accommodate a building of that size because the plaza sits directly above the downtown expressway. However I saw this building but it would probably cost more to build it at kanawha than another place

image.jpg

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is alittle random but check out this rendering for kanawha plaza. However, this will never be built.

http://www.arch2o.com/urban-ribbon-kyle-thomas-murphy/

I would love for this to get built.  This would be a statement building to say the least and would really stand out from the CBD's current architecture.  Since Kanawha Plaza is unlikely, perhaps it could be built on the surface parking lot at 10th and Canal.  Given its visibility, that space cries out for a bold effort.

That would be amazing if it got built, but I would rather see this get built at the southeast corner of 6th and main, right next to the proposed dominion tower. However, the site I would prefer is where the current dominion building is. If one James river plaza was demolished,  it would increase the height of the new dominion building. I think a thinner tower should be built at 10th and canal, something like the austonian in Austin Texas except maybe 50 ft shorter.

I would love for this to get built.  This would be a statement building to say the least and would really stand out from the CBD's current architecture.  Since Kanawha Plaza is unlikely, perhaps it could be built on the surface parking lot at 10th and Canal.  Given its visibility, that space cries out for a bold effort.

while I agree, if I was a betting man I'd put my money on it being replaced with just a parking deck. Ho hum. 

• 4 weeks later...

The "back" of this new building, where the loading area is on Cary...seems so unfinished.  Maybe it is unfinished, but the recent install of a pay parking meter and painting of parking spots leads me to believe it's about done.  In particular, the sidewalk is a mess...the cars parking in the painted spots overlap onto the sidewalk and it all looks generally junkie.  The tree wells span fully accross the sidewalk just like it was when it was the old shoddy lot.  I realize the sidewalk is different than the building property but it seems some sort of esthetic upgrade should be installed here.  Very surprising.  Anyone notice this?

16 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

It's a different property owner, so it has nothing to do with Gateway Centre. there is a public alley that separates the two parcels. I think Ivor Massey owns the sliver along Cary.

Well that explains it.  That alley cutting through rings a bell from back when the property was transferred from Dominion.

• 8 months later...
9 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

And so the fortune teller spoke.

And a year later it turns out they want everyone under two roofs in two 20 story buildings downtown haha

Okay, so I was a little off in my prediction, but I wasn't off by too much...just off by another 300 feet of height and the fact that they wanted 2 roofs instead of one. Not bad for a guy that had absolutely no inside information.  :scared:

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, eandslee said:

I like it!  Great photos too - thanks!  Now if we can just get some constant foot traffic. Every photo I see of that place has no one in the photo...completely dead. 

That's because there is almost nothing to do in that area.  Sure there are some large buildings in that area, but they all have large setbacks with pretty much no ground floor retail.  

I really wish Richmond would start enforcing that new buildings have to be conducive to people who want to live downtown.

1 hour ago, RiverYuppy said:

I really wish Richmond would start enforcing that new buildings have to be conducive to people who want to live downtown.

Even better, I wish that the Gateway Plaza included some residences as well making the building taller and improving the foot traffic in the area. Fountain Head will have it right when they build the new Suntrust tower (3twenty One). 

Anyone know if this building was built to support additional floors down the road? Would be great to see a residential or hotel component added later on. Coupe, wasn't there a rumor floating around for an additional building on the remaining sliver along Cary next to the old canal bed?

On 9/10/2016 at 3:29 PM, TBurban said:

Anyone know if this building was built to support additional floors down the road? Would be great to see a residential or hotel component added later on. Coupe, wasn't there a rumor floating around for an additional building on the remaining sliver along Cary next to the old canal bed?

I guarantee you there will never be additional floors added to Gateway Plaza.  2 James Center, maybe, but not Gateway. 

I actually would love to see floors added to the federal reserve building. I have always been a fan of the way that that building fits in our skyline. I would almost go as far as calling it Richmonds signature tower. It is such a beautiful, sleek piece of architecture and it could really do wonders for the skyline. I would love to eventually see the fed move from that lot and have multiple other shorter towers join that building on the block. 

49 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

I actually would love to see floors added to the federal reserve building. I have always been a fan of the way that that building fits in our skyline. I would almost go as far as calling it Richmonds signature tower. It is such a beautiful, sleek piece of architecture and it could really do wonders for the skyline. I would love to eventually see the fed move from that lot and have multiple other shorter towers join that building on the block. 

That building an architectural masterpiece and designed by the same architect as the World Trade Center (not to mention it has more office space below ground than above ground, some of which is filled with gold.  It won't ever touched.

26 minutes ago, jbjust said:

That building an architectural masterpiece and designed by the same architect as the World Trade Center (not to mention it has more office space below ground than above ground, some of which is filled with gold.  It won't ever touched.

I know. It's terrible because that's such a prime piece of real estate and to know that it can never be touched is incredibly infuriating. That building could easily be expanded if it weren't for the Fed. Would love to see the Feds find a new facility and sell that tower to a private developer. Such a waste.

38 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

I know. It's terrible because that's such a prime piece of real estate and to know that it can never be touched is incredibly infuriating. That building could easily be expanded if it weren't for the Fed. Would love to see the Feds find a new facility and sell that tower to a private developer. Such a waste.

I can't see a lot of private users who would want that vast underground space (according to Wikipedia 49% of that building's office space is subterranean).  

I don't have a problem with the building the way it is... it's iconic and post 9/11 it will always need to have a compound feel to it. It's like saying that the Capitol Square green space is such a prime piece of real estate and should be relocated and sold to a private developer.  Appreciate its presence in the skyline and let's focus on other improvements to downtown like the vacant parcels just west of it instead.

I am not a fan of the Federal Reserve building. It's cookie cutter 1970's and 80's and looks so much like everything else Minoru Yamasaki has done. I don't absolutely hate it, but don't love it. What I do hate is the total suburban design of the complex. You could fit 10 more buildings on the "open" space that surrounds the complex. I realize it's the federal reserve but I think this is a result of when the building was built. It's completely isolated and does not add to the urban experience of Richmond, except when viewed from across the river. 

1 hour ago, tparkerzut said:

I am not a fan of the Federal Reserve building. It's cookie cutter 1970's and 80's and looks so much like everything else Minoru Yamasaki has done. I don't absolutely hate it, but don't love it. What I do hate is the total suburban design of the complex. You could fit 10 more buildings on the "open" space that surrounds the complex. I realize it's the federal reserve but I think this is a result of when the building was built. It's completely isolated and does not add to the urban experience of Richmond, except when viewed from across the river. 

I agree.  While it may look cool in the skyline, that area could be of much more use to making downtown better.  It's not like Brown's Island or the Capital Square, which add value to the area for people that live Downtown.  The Federal Reserve building, while a cool piece of architecture, just makes that part of Downtown a part that most people will never visit. 

Archived