Schuyler Apartment Tower Rehab

gman430

Tony Bonitati and Kay Hill represented the seller of Schuyler Apartments at 275 S. Church Street in downtown Spartanburg, in the sale of the 89-unit high-rise apartments. The buyer plans to redevelop the building as part of Spartanburg's revitalization.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony Bonitati and Kay Hill represented the seller of Schuyler Apartments at 275 S. Church Street in downtown Spartanburg, in the sale of the 89-unit high-rise apartments. The buyer plans to redevelop the building as part of Spartanburg's revitalization.

Can you tell us more about their plans?

• 1 month later...

BTW, Brad Toy of Langston-Black Real Estate, Inc. represented the purchaser on this one.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you tell us more about their plans?

All I can say is that a MAJOR renovation project is planned interior and exterior wise. There are renderings but I can't share them yet. If the project happens as planned then I think Spartanburg residents will be very pleased with the outcome especially with how the apartment complex looks currently.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a large crane working on the roof of the Schyler Building today and I noticed a job site trailer has been set up on the parking lot side of the building. I knew all of the tenants had been asked to relocate and now it seems this project may get started sooner rather than later.

This is interesting.  I did some research last week on the developer and couldn't find anything about the Schuyler Building!

I've always been intrigued with this building.  I don't know WHEN it was built or WHO built it.  Emporis, I believe, credits the building's origin as 1950 but I've never been able to verify this.  I understand the adjacent office building was renovated in the 90's.

I once visited a friend who lived on the 9th floor.  Her apartment faced north and had a great view of downtown and the distant Blue Ridge Mountains.  The place was pretty tired looking.  It was obvious that it needed a major refurbishment.  That was in the early 2000's.

If anyone can share photos or history of this building I'd love to see it.

Yes the building was built it 1950. There is a plaque on the building confirming. Also, the library 2 blocks away has the original hand drawn 1949 architural drawings but no elevations.

All the units face downtown they are only on one side of the building with an exterior corridor on the other.

As For the crane I think AT&T was swapping out the platform on the roof for a beefier one to support their new 4g equipment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally the Herald-Journal has a big story on this.  In case you can't read it, here are some highlights:

As Tux_Guy said, it will be upscale, contemporary studio apartments.  Plans for a terrace on roof, fitness center in penthouse, and coffee shop, art gallery, & 2nd fitness center on ground floor.  The exterior will be painted, and developer Pace Burt is looking to do some unique lighting, including digital art projected on the walls (Love this! We need an interestingly lit-up building - like Duke Energy Tower in Charlotte).

The building is in the process of being listed on the National Register (for tax credits).  Burt will present the project at June 24 City Council meeting (looking for special assessment).  Once construction starts, it should take about 7 months.  Burt says the City has been very supportive.  He also mentions how DT Greenville didn't have many new apartments 5 years ago and now have a ton, hopes his project will help spur more development here.

I'm really looking forward to this one!  Considering our pretty conservative (design-wise) downtown, this seems like it's shaping up to be a really unique and exciting project.  :yahoo:

Finally the Herald-Journal has a big story on this.  In case you can't read it, here are some highlights:

As Tux_Guy said, it will be upscale, contemporary studio apartments.  Plans for a terrace on roof, fitness center in penthouse, and coffee shop, art gallery, & 2nd fitness center on ground floor.  The exterior will be painted, and developer Pace Burt is looking to do some unique lighting, including digital art projected on the walls (Love this! We need an interestingly lit-up building - like Duke Energy Tower in Charlotte).

The building is in the process of being listed on the National Register (for tax credits).  Burt will present the project at June 24 City Council meeting (looking for special assessment).  Once construction starts, it should take about 7 months.  Burt says the City has been very supportive.  He also mentions how DT Greenville didn't have many new apartments 5 years ago and now have a ton, hopes his project will help spur more development here.

I'm really looking forward to this one!  Considering our pretty conservative (design-wise) downtown, this seems like it's shaping up to be a really unique and exciting project.  :yahoo:

So glad to see a good article in the H-J about this building, I enjoyed learning about it's past, present, and exciting future.  This developer appears to be committed on doing the job right.

I've been in the building once, to visit a friend who lived on the 9th floor.  Her apartment was rather drab but the views of downtown and the distant mountains were great.

Archived