gman430

Schuyler Apartment Tower Rehab

61 posts in this topic

Tony Bonitati and Kay Hill represented the seller of Schuyler Apartments at 275 S. Church Street in downtown Spartanburg, in the sale of the 89-unit high-rise apartments. The buyer plans to redevelop the building as part of Spartanburg's revitalization.

Tony Bonitati and Kay Hill represented the seller of Schuyler Apartments at 275 S. Church Street in downtown Spartanburg, in the sale of the 89-unit high-rise apartments. The buyer plans to redevelop the building as part of Spartanburg's revitalization.

Can you tell us more about their plans?

BTW, Brad Toy of Langston-Black Real Estate, Inc. represented the purchaser on this one.

Can you tell us more about their plans?

All I can say is that a MAJOR renovation project is planned interior and exterior wise. There are renderings but I can't share them yet. If the project happens as planned then I think Spartanburg residents will be very pleased with the outcome especially with how the apartment complex looks currently.

Edited by gman430

Awesome!  I can't wait for this to happen.  The Schuyler Building is really an eyesore at the moment, so a major renovation would do wonders.  Not to mention the new downtown residents it will bring.  Any idea when renderings will be available for the public to see?

I have always thought that an illuminated wide based spire on top of the penthouses would be awsome. It could be seen from I-26 and possibly peak the interest of travelers to investigate downtown.

There was a large crane working on the roof of the Schyler Building today and I noticed a job site trailer has been set up on the parking lot side of the building. I knew all of the tenants had been asked to relocate and now it seems this project may get started sooner rather than later.

1 person likes this

There was a large crane working on the roof of the Schyler Building today and I noticed a job site trailer has been set up on the parking lot side of the building. I knew all of the tenants had been asked to relocate and now it seems this project may get started sooner rather than later.

This is interesting.  I did some research last week on the developer and couldn't find anything about the Schuyler Building!

This is pretty exciting stuff, so I decided to create a separate thread. I can't wait to see how this turns out. It could be a premier residential location within the city if they wanted it to be.

I've always been intrigued with this building.  I don't know WHEN it was built or WHO built it.  Emporis, I believe, credits the building's origin as 1950 but I've never been able to verify this.  I understand the adjacent office building was renovated in the 90's.

I once visited a friend who lived on the 9th floor.  Her apartment faced north and had a great view of downtown and the distant Blue Ridge Mountains.  The place was pretty tired looking.  It was obvious that it needed a major refurbishment.  That was in the early 2000's.

If anyone can share photos or history of this building I'd love to see it.

It looks like 50s-60s construction, for what that's worth... but I don't know of an actual construction date.

I tried to find floor plans online with no luck.  Do all of the apartments face North?

Yes the building was built it 1950. There is a plaque on the building confirming. Also, the library 2 blocks away has the original hand drawn 1949 architural drawings but no elevations.

All the units face downtown they are only on one side of the building with an exterior corridor on the other.

As For the crane I think AT&T was swapping out the platform on the roof for a beefier one to support their new 4g equipment.

The parking lot to the South of the building now has construction fencing up and waste containers in place. I still think this one is going to happen rather quickly!!!

1 person likes this

I noticed a lot of work on the site yesterday with windows boarded up, etc.  Has anyone seen renderings or plans for the renovations?

This is the one downtown project that intrigues me.  Has anyone heard anything "concrete" (no pun intended) regarding plans for this building. 

This is the one downtown project that intrigues me.  Has anyone heard anything "concrete" (no pun intended) regarding plans for this building. 

No, but they sure are working hard on demo.

It looks like the windows are being removed.

post-24605-0-44592900-1368405184_thumb.j

I may try to check with the City and see if anything about this project (site plans, etc) has been filed.

I work accross the street and was told that they are going to be putting "loft" style apts. in the renovated building. High end from what I have been told.

1 person likes this

I work accross the street and was told that they are going to be putting "loft" style apts. in the renovated building. High end from what I have been told.

This guy would know.

Finally the Herald-Journal has a big story on this.  In case you can't read it, here are some highlights:

As Tux_Guy said, it will be upscale, contemporary studio apartments.  Plans for a terrace on roof, fitness center in penthouse, and coffee shop, art gallery, & 2nd fitness center on ground floor.  The exterior will be painted, and developer Pace Burt is looking to do some unique lighting, including digital art projected on the walls (Love this! We need an interestingly lit-up building - like Duke Energy Tower in Charlotte).

The building is in the process of being listed on the National Register (for tax credits).  Burt will present the project at June 24 City Council meeting (looking for special assessment).  Once construction starts, it should take about 7 months.  Burt says the City has been very supportive.  He also mentions how DT Greenville didn't have many new apartments 5 years ago and now have a ton, hopes his project will help spur more development here.

I'm really looking forward to this one!  Considering our pretty conservative (design-wise) downtown, this seems like it's shaping up to be a really unique and exciting project.  :yahoo:

It's exciting to see something of this scale finally happen in Spartanburg. I think it will be a successful project if designed well.

Could we possible see a "stretching" of downtown in this direction? Hopefully with the new community college and this, Kennedy, Henry & Broad Streets become more relevant.

Finally the Herald-Journal has a big story on this.  In case you can't read it, here are some highlights:

As Tux_Guy said, it will be upscale, contemporary studio apartments.  Plans for a terrace on roof, fitness center in penthouse, and coffee shop, art gallery, & 2nd fitness center on ground floor.  The exterior will be painted, and developer Pace Burt is looking to do some unique lighting, including digital art projected on the walls (Love this! We need an interestingly lit-up building - like Duke Energy Tower in Charlotte).

The building is in the process of being listed on the National Register (for tax credits).  Burt will present the project at June 24 City Council meeting (looking for special assessment).  Once construction starts, it should take about 7 months.  Burt says the City has been very supportive.  He also mentions how DT Greenville didn't have many new apartments 5 years ago and now have a ton, hopes his project will help spur more development here.

I'm really looking forward to this one!  Considering our pretty conservative (design-wise) downtown, this seems like it's shaping up to be a really unique and exciting project.  :yahoo:

So glad to see a good article in the H-J about this building, I enjoyed learning about it's past, present, and exciting future.  This developer appears to be committed on doing the job right.

I've been in the building once, to visit a friend who lived on the 9th floor.  Her apartment was rather drab but the views of downtown and the distant mountains were great.

Subject to change:

e034f9c8e38e5436fcd472c08b79fcf0_zps9cb5

89fa21cd740e8da9d44eba665b2c76fb_zps8957

1 person likes this