Schuyler Apartment Tower Rehab

gman430

Holy cow! :shok:  If that design happens, that would be awesome!

However, I went to tonight's City Council meeting, and the rendering Pace Burt had there looked very similar to the building's current look.  Plus, if Burt is going for historic restoration tax credits (earlier article mentioned putting the building on the National Register), then he'd be required to keep the building's look consistent with its original design.  Here's a WSPA story on the meeting (screengrab below).

post-24605-0-69958500-1372139663_thumb.j

But maybe he's just getting ready to pull the ol' switcheroo. :dontknow:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gman - that's a very bold design. IMO, that might be a little too contemporary for Sparkle City. I would settle for a pressure wash and a complete enclosure (with glass) of the breezeway/walkway on the south face of the building :)

Spartan - I think we need a design like that here.  Shake things up a bit.  It would be one of the boldest designs in the whole Southeast.  But as I mentioned, I don't know if it will happen.

What I really liked was the reasonable rents Burt mentioned at the meeting.  He said they'd probably be between $600 and $900 per month, depending on the view.  That would be much more reasonable than other downtown apartments (i.e. Magnolia Lofts).  I guess the units will be pretty small, but that's okay.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update: Windows that were taken out top-down have been refurbished and replaced top-down (with the frames now dark green).  I know there are strict rules for National Register properties where you have to refurbish (as opposed to replace) pretty much any original feature that still exists.

I've been looking at the National Register website and haven't seen the building officially added yet, so it must still be working through the process.

Here are a few photos.  You can see the refurbished windows on the top several floors, a row of removed windows, and old windows on the bottom floors.

post-24605-0-26586200-1374459166_thumb.j post-24605-0-10100300-1374459168_thumb.j

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure why renovations stopped for a while (gov't shutdown?), but work has now resumed.  It looks like they are preparing to (or even starting to) paint the exterior.  The City of Spartanburg's Facebook page posted a photo from the 10th floor a few days ago during a building tour.  Can't wait to see this project completed!

post-24605-0-30150700-1382309058_thumb.j post-24605-0-89297000-1382309056_thumb.j post-24605-0-90308200-1382309054_thumb.j

Painting is definitely happening now!  It will be great to see the exterior transform from a tired, faded beige color to bright white.

post-24605-0-22704500-1382571293_thumb.j

Oh, and here's a video of the building the City posted a few days ago.  In addition to the obligatory views from the building, it includes a look at the inside of some of the units as well (still under construction, of course).

(Edit: Can't seem to embed the video, so I added a link.)

Painting is definitely happening now!  It will be great to see the exterior transform from a tired, faded beige color to bright white.

attachicon.gifsb.JPG

Oh, and here's a video of the building the City posted a few days ago.  In addition to the obligatory views from the building, it includes a look at the inside of some of the units as well (still under construction, of course).

(Edit: Can't seem to embed the video, so I added a link.)

Love what they're doing with this building!  Hopefully it can be transformed into an exciting option for folks looking to live downtown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The most interesting part of the article is that Pace Burt is already working on another project downtown, in addition to the Schyler Building, the other project is

said to add another 12 residences. I wonder which building he has bought to restore, adding the 12 residences. This guy could possibly be the answer for the Montgomery Building if the two already underway are successful!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been watching this renovation with eager anticipation. How long do you think till we can start renting?

I have no idea, but I am glad to see a new face post on this site. Westsider seems like the one in the know on this project. I would also like to know who will manage the property.   

I'm not really "in the know"; I just keep up with the project through news articles / online mostly.  According to this GSA Business article from several weeks ago, expected completion is mid-2014.  One bedroom units, ~800 sq ft, $700-800 per month rent.  I would assume that whoever manages the Mayfair Lofts (by the same developer) would manage this building.

And welcome to the forum, survivorcindy!

• 2 months later...

There was an article in the Herald-Journal this weekend about this project.  Most of the details we already know: completion by July, $600-900 per month, 600-850 sq ft.  There was some new-ish info.  A quarter of the units will have balconies.  The rooftop is supposed to be awesome: fitness area, green space, and gathering/cookout area.  It's actually called "Church Street Lofts" now, which I think is lame ("Lofts" is overused, plus these aren't really lofts).

The H-J took some interior photos, and I have to say that I love the modern/contemporary interiors.  There's really nothing like that in Spartanburg (bamboo cabinets, steel light fixtures, etc).  Plus, of course, the views from the upper floors are fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an article in the Herald-Journal this weekend about this project.  Most of the details we already know: completion by July, $600-900 per month, 600-850 sq ft.  There was some new-ish info.  A quarter of the units will have balconies.  The rooftop is supposed to be awesome: fitness area, green space, and gathering/cookout area.  It's actually called "Church Street Lofts" now, which I think is lame ("Lofts" is overused, plus these aren't really lofts).

The H-J took some interior photos, and I have to say that I love the modern/contemporary interiors.  There's really nothing like that in Spartanburg (bamboo cabinets, steel light fixtures, etc).  Plus, of course, the views from the upper floors are fantastic.

I thought I may have made it in to at least one of those photos. But nope.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to go negative, because I'm generally a positive person.  But I looked at some of this developer's other properties (Mills Mill in Greenville and Arcadia Mill here) and reviews are really bad.  Some of it is the noise, which could be because of the nature of mill renovation.  But for Arcadia Mill in particular, the management has apparently gone way downhill lately, and many of the residents want out.

Also, I'm disappointed by the lack of web presence for this building.  In this day and age, there is really no excuse not to have a good looking website with basic info on the property (ex. Magnolia Lofts).  As a prospective renter, I would shy away from a place that didn't have what I consider to be the bare minimum (especially for a signature property like this).  The only thing I've found is a listing on Apartment Guide that looks like an amateur hack-job.

I hope these apartments will be managed better than the developer's other properties, and that the lack of web presence / marketing doesn't foreshadow a sub-par rental experience.

Archived