Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scgubers

Camperdown and River Street

33 posts in this topic

The word on the street is that Phil Hughes wants to build a convention type center across from the Innovate building at Camperdown and River Street. 

Directly across from the Innovate building stretching to the Klingman Williams property. 

I thought that land was suppose to be used by the Commerce as a welcome center?

Different site.

So this is the phase III of Riverplace site, correct?

No the phase three of Riverplace will be directly adjacent to the parking garage there now. 

No the phase three of Riverplace will be directly adjacent to the parking garage there now. 

That is phase 2. Only one phase has been built thus far.

Different site.

So the Hughes site is the parking lot, and next to it is the Welcome Center?

So the Hughes site is the parking lot, and next to it is the Welcome Center?

Yes. 

That is phase 2. Only one phase has been built thus far.

If I remember correctly and maybe I'm here, but I believe the Terrace at Riverplace is Phase 2. While the section that will be built adjacent to the parking garage will be phase three. That section will be developed by Bob Hughes. All the while because of River Street, I don't believe the convention center will be an additional phase of Riverplace. 

If I recall, the first four buildings were phase I. The Terrace was the first building of phase II, which includes everything to River Street. Phase III was the "tower" across River Street. However, this is based off of diagrams circa 2005. Obviously things change.

Any chance of height with this? Maybe a hotel too? Hopefully it will more than 1-2 stories tall.

Any chance of height with this? Maybe a hotel too? Hopefully it will more than 1-2 stories tall.

I think this could be a great use for this site with it being adjacent to the new visitors center. If there is no hotel component, maybe one more will be included in the final buildings at Riverplace? I want to know more about this...

I would think a conference center would need 3+ conference halls with ceiling heights of 20 ft or more...

Didn't scgubers say that a conference center won't be part of Riverplace? Or what are we discussing really?

I can confirm that this "conference center" will not be a part of Riverplace. 

Didn't scgubers say that a conference center won't be part of Riverplace? Or what are we discussing really?

I believe he is saying that it would not be associated with Riverplace, but I could be mistaken. 

Has anyone else heard mention of this Conference Center besides scgubers?

I'd also love to hear more! Greenville is in desperate need of more downtown event venues. I'm assuming a Conference Center would be just that.

At this current moment there are initial plans drawn. Money is of course the biggest problem.

Is this Conference Center a private for-profit project or more public owned, or a public-private partnership?

What Square Footage range is being considered?

A Conference Center a few blocks from two great hotels, office space, variety of restaurants, and hopefully the new Reedy Square (soon?). That would be a great addition.

Is this Conference Center a private for-profit project or more public owned, or a public-private partnership?

What Square Footage range is being considered?

Based on the information I shared in the Rumor Mill thread last year (?) regarding a potential convention center in or near Downtown, I am guessing the City is involved in this venture. If not, then others apparently have a similar vision.