DEVELOPMENT MAP/CONSTRUCTION CAMS/RESOURCE THREAD

MTSUBlueraider86

16 minutes ago, Brichar4 said:

Hello Everyone - 

I am one of the primary editors of the “Nashville’s Tallest Buildings” Wikipedia page, which includes all construction projects 280ft or tall as well as proposed projects in the same category. I am a long time reader of the forums and have tried to keep up with all the correct information, but just recently created an account. If you have anything that you have seen incorrect on the wiki or have any recommendations to better provide information to the public that are interested please let me know or shoot me a message. Excited to be more active in the discussions of all projects around town. 

Great to meet you, Brichar4!  Welcome and thanks for joining our forum.  I'm sure there will be some folks who will enjoy working with you on getting as many of the official heights of some of our Music City structures clarified.  : )

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

also a good time for an update of all construction cams around town

The EarthCam still has a photo of the top of the roof of the Fairfield Inn where the view finally got blocked off by the construction of the building at 908 Division and I guess they just turned the cam off! 

11 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

also a good time for an update of all construction cams around town

Really not much to update.  The last update a few months ago (on Page 6) is still about all I know of…unless anyone has any new cams?  I know that Earthcam facing downtown is obsolete now…and I may need to update the WSMV site to go straight to the cams.  

Would love to find out if there’s a cam for Tony’s projects.  Also hoping Assurion will keep their cam going since it’s such a great view of many other projects (even from a distance).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 10:21 AM, smeagolsfree said:

Is anyone having issues with the Development Map links or having the pictures come up? What kind of issue?

If you are, please let me know what device you are using! Such as a desk top Windows, Mac, iPad, Galaxy Tab, etc?????

I can’t get it to come up.  Using MacBook Pro…Safari

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The reason that Phoenix has that embarrassing collection of midget buildings downtown is because Sky Harbor Airport is also practically downtown which makes building a real skyscraper there impossible.  It's a shame, I lived in the suburbs of Mesa and Chandler for a few years and the metro area is huge!  Just FYI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I heard also that Phoenix elected officials about 40 years ago intentionally rezoned a ‘second’ downtown to stretch out their skyline but the two sections haven’t connected. Don’t know hiw true that is but suffice it to say Phoenix is really sprawling and has not as of yet been destined for a big core. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I heard also that Phoenix elected officials about 40 years ago intentionally rezoned a ‘second’ downtown to stretch out their skyline but the two sections haven’t connected. Don’t know hiw true that is but suffice it to say Phoenix is really sprawling and has not as of yet been destined for a big core. 

That is pretty much correct. They were wanting them to grow together but it just never happened.. Phoenix’s has the most underwhelming skyline for a city with it’s population of any city in the country, IMO.

• Like 2

With Nashville getting more "skyscrapers," I thought I would post the following info. Emporis defines a skyscraper as a building of a minimum of 100 meters/328 feet tall. This Emporis list (and it seems updated) showcases the U.S. cities with the most skyscrapers and their world ranking. (For comparison, Emporis defines a "high-rise" as being between 35 meters/115 feet tall and 100 meters/328 feet tall.)   The first number is the world ranking and the second number is the number of skycrapers for the city.   (For context, Hong Kong with 1,943 skyscrapers is No. 1 — which is mind-blowing.)   No. 2 in the world: New York City  845 skyscrapers   No. 11 Chicago 336   No. 41 Miami 125   No. 46 Houston 108       No. 54 San Francisco 88       No. 58 Los Angeles 82      No. 59 Honolulu 79   No. 61 Seattle 75   No. 66 Atlanta 69   No. 71 Philadelphia 63   No. 78 Boston 55   No. 79 Las Vegas 54   No. 84 Dallas 51   So there is your "Lucky 13" U.S. cities, each with 50 or more skycrapers as defined by Emporis. Clearly, Las Vegas and Honolulu are in a vastly different league regarding the number of skyscrapers in relation to overall population. In fact, Honolulu is truly insane. It is No. 7 in the nation for buildings 328 feet tall or taller despite having the No. 54 MSA population. Throw in the more than 300 high-rises in Honolulu to go with its 79 skyscrapers and, per capita, the city might be tied with New York for America's most impressive city in terms of sheer number of tall buildings (again, per capita). Honolulu has about one building of 115 feet taller or taller for every 2,500 people. If my math is correct, New York also has about one building of 115 feet taller or taller for every 2,500 people.   The least impressive cities for tall buildings per capita, from what I have determined, are (in no particular order) Phoenix, Tampa, Jacksonville, San Antonio, Raleigh, Orlando and Sacramento. Obviously, I'm not counting Washington, D.C., as it has a height restriction.   And what about Miami with 55 more skyscrapers than Atlanta and 74 more than Dallas ... ? That is hard to fathom.   Nashville might be ranked in the 18 to 22 range for number of skyscrapers and almost certainly is ranked in the 25 to 28 range. That is respectable given we are No. 36 in MSA population.   For comparison:   Nashville has 24 buildings of 100 meters or taller completed and seven under construction.   Charlotte also has 24 buildings of 100 meters or taller completed and two under construction.   Austin has 32 buildings of 100 meters or taller completed and 12 under construction.

Much of the deviation between buildings and population seems explainable by tourism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, downtownresident said:

Thanks for compiling this WW! What 7 buildings were you counting as under construction for Nashville? Just curious. 

Got it here DTR:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Nashville

17 hours ago, yontu2 said:

Much of the deviation between buildings and population seems explainable by tourism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tourism is a major factor in that it results in hotel towers.  Another factor is that there are some cities that draw wealthy folks looking to buy a condo in an urban tower but for what is not their only or even primary home.

19 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

That is pretty much correct. They were wanting them to grow together but it just never happened.. Phoenix’s has the most underwhelming skyline for a city with it’s population of any city in the country, IMO.

Yep. Nothing against Phoenix. But for a city with about 5 million people in its MSA, the skyline is very underwhelming.

22 hours ago, MontanaGuy said:

The reason that Phoenix has that embarrassing collection of midget buildings downtown is because Sky Harbor Airport is also practically downtown which makes building a real skyscraper there impossible.  It's a shame, I lived in the suburbs of Mesa and Chandler for a few years and the metro area is huge!  Just FYI.

Interesting.  I did not know.

• Like 2