smeagolsfree

Charlotte Ave/Charlotte Park/Sylvan Park/Bellevue/West Nash./Nations

Question for those of you who understand zoning better than I do.  

​The Charlotte Park area is beginning to get more attention, as there's little else left that's truly affordable.  The neighborhood is mainly brick ranches on 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots, and it looks like they're all zoned R10.  Does this mean that duplexes or two tall-skinny homes could be built on each lot?  If so, what's the chance that home owners would be successful in downzoning the area to RS in order to avoid financially motivated teardowns and the kind of infill that's haunted other areas of the city?    

That is a great question for Brett. He knows the residential zoning very well. I would have to work too hard to get the info, and I am real lazy as of late.... Just not feeling great...

I do see the CP area getting more infill. The area I think is called West Park is in bad need of major urban renewal. This is the area between the Nations and Briley.

That is a great question for Brett. He knows the residential zoning very well. I would have to work too hard to get the info, and I am real lazy as of late.... Just not feeling great...

I do see the CP area getting more infill. The area I think is called West Park is in bad need of major urban renewal. This is the area between the Nations and Briley.

You mean urban renewal in a good way, of course.

Hope you get to feeling better

​The Charlotte Park area is beginning to get more attention, as there's little else left that's truly affordable. The neighborhood is mainly brick ranches on 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots, and it looks like they're all zoned R10. Does this mean that duplexes or two tall-skinny homes could be built on each lot? If so, what's the chance that home owners would be successful in downzoning the area to RS in order to avoid financially motivated teardowns and the kind of infill that's haunted other areas of the city?

It usually isn't in a property owners best long term interest to downzone their property. I get the desire to maintain the neighborhood character, but it is a hard sell to actually get people to add a limit on their property.

​The Charlotte Park area is beginning to get more attention, as there's little else left that's truly affordable.  The neighborhood is mainly brick ranches on 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots, and it looks like they're all zoned R10.  Does this mean that duplexes or two tall-skinny homes could be built on each lot?  If so, what's the chance that home owners would be successful in downzoning the area to RS in order to avoid financially motivated teardowns and the kind of infill that's haunted other areas of the city?    

Take a look at the new contextual overlay option. http://www.nashville.gov/mc/ordinances/term_2011_2015/bl2014_771.htm

• Like 1

Not sure if any of you have been on the site nextdoor.com, but we just moved to The Nations and joined the site and this is happening. 

https://thenations.nextdoor.com/news_feed/?post=9867418

From the post: 

"During last nights meeting developer Mike Kenner announced that he is buying property on the corner of 51st and Illinois Avenue (Anderson Windows and Patio Doors location) and intends to build a mixed use property that will involve 2000 sq. ft. of retail space and 20 – 22 residential units that are about 600 sq. ft. each and will be listed for $150,000 - $175,000. Surface parking only. Example sited was Burger up building in 12 South. He has provided the site rendering and residents are strong encouraged to provide feedback, in addition to get creative and post architectural designs you wish to see. (see bottom attachment .pdf file for larger image)"

Said pdf here

This post maybe could also go in the transportation problems thread but I put it here for now...

It sounds like this development is meeting some resistance:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/05/traffic-parking-worries-delay-nations-mixed-use.html

The project, being developed by Michael Kenner, of MiKeN Development LLC, was scheduled for a vote yesterday at the Metro Board of Zoning Appeals, but a letter of opposition from Council Member Buddy Baker, who represents the neighborhood, has convinced Kenner to defer the vote for at least two meetings to bolster more support.

screen-shot-2015-03-20-at-22859-pm*750xx

Is there some specific information available about this project?

Did anyone weigh in to the Zoning Board or Mr Baker about this?

Who exactly is opposing this and what are the specific issues?

Like I said if the issue is parking requirements, maybe I should move this to the transportation problems thread.  I could write my own long rant on parking mandates and the economics of private and public space but this (not very recent) blog post from Chad Grout does a pretty good job. Even though it was specifically written about East Nashville, the same principles apply elsewhere in Nashville:

East Nashville Zoning: Lose the Parking

http://urbangrout.com/east-nashville-zoning-lose-the-parking/

Edited by 37206dude

​The Charlotte Park area is beginning to get more attention, as there's little else left that's truly affordable. The neighborhood is mainly brick ranches on 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots, and it looks like they're all zoned R10. Does this mean that duplexes or two tall-skinny homes could be built on each lot? If so, what's the chance that home owners would be successful in downzoning the area to RS in order to avoid financially motivated teardowns and the kind of infill that's haunted other areas of the city?

It is possible. Belmont-Hillsboro did this recently. You essentially need broad neighborhood support and then strong support from the district council person. Getting people to agree to it is the harder part as mentioned previously. In a place like Belmont-Hillsboro there is likely more value being "protected" than there would be in the area mentioned above. Down zoning from R to RS for homeowners who have property that is a tear down target will cut their value almost in half.

It is possible. Belmont-Hillsboro did this recently. You essentially need broad neighborhood support and then strong support from the district council person. Getting people to agree to it is the harder part as mentioned previously. In a place like Belmont-Hillsboro there is likely more value being "protected" than there would be in the area mentioned above. Down zoning from R to RS for homeowners who have property that is a tear down target will cut their value almost in half.

The brick ranch portion of Charlotte Park is safe for now.  The majority of the homes are well maintained and have decent square footage.  Houses that need a little work/updating are selling for over 200k.  Exit prices in the Nations are a good bit higher and the most developers are willing to pay for a building lot is about 80k per pad.  I doubt we will ever see many brick ranch tear downs, the numbers just don't work.  Also I highly doubt anyone in this area would be interested in down zoning their property for any reason, its a little bit of a different setting than Belmont-Hillsboro.

The other portion of the neighborhood between the park and Briley is a different story.  This was one of the worse areas of West Nashville, a good amount of the homes are nondescript and in bad shape.  The lots are zoned R8 and several of them are large enough to build four homes on, two front and two back.  I know of about 15 homes that are currently slated for demolition and I suspect 40-50% of the area will be razed in the next couple years.  There is also a handful of renovations in the area.  I'm rehabbing a house in the area that was built in 1996,  my list price will be 60 or 70k lower than it would be if it were in the Nations.

Edited by TMcKay9

There has been a lot of activity at the new 'Overlook at Nashville West' site ( 6834 Charlotte Pike ).

Outback Steakhouse previously announced they will be relocating there, after shuttering their West End Ave. location.

It looks like Cracker Barrel will be relocating there as well, according to this document: http://maps.nashville.gov/LandataReports/pud_names.pdf

The current location of Cracker Barrel, about a half mile west of Overlook at Nashville West, is problematic, due to a lack of a turn lane and the cluster of stoplights and I-40 ramps.  

• Like 1

There has been a lot of activity at the new 'Overlook at Nashville West' site ( 6834 Charlotte Pike ).

Outback Steakhouse previously announced they will be relocating there, after shuttering their West End Ave. location.

It looks like Cracker Barrel will be relocating there as well, according to this document: http://maps.nashville.gov/LandataReports/pud_names.pdf

The current location of Cracker Barrel, about a half mile west of Overlook at Nashville West, is problematic, due to a lack of a turn lane and the cluster of stoplights and I-40 ramps.  

Former site of the "new" mid-1960s Howard Johnson Motor Inn (with its signature HoJo orange A-frame roof), which sprouted on that promontory on the then-new I-40, which at that time dead ended from the west at 40th Ave, between Delaware and Alabama Avenues. (as late as 1969).

That's some really needed progress at that site, still basically a rural pocket a half century ago.

--High on a hill--

--a temple of hospitality--

--the A-frame Gate Lodge its iconic shrine--

HoJo of West Nashville - circa 1968-1970

HOJOwest10_zpsukm21buf.jpg

-==-

• Like 3

Former site of the "new" mid-1960s Howard Johnson Motor Inn (with its signature HoJo orange A-frame roof), which sprouted on that promontory on the then-new I-40, which at that time dead ended from the west at 40th Ave, between Delaware and Alabama Avenues. (as late as 1969).

That's some really needed progress at that site, still basically a rural pocket a half century ago.

--High on a hill--

--a temple of hospitality--

--the A-frame Gate Lodge its iconic shrine--

HoJo of West Nashville - circa 1968-1970

HOJOwest10_zpsukm21buf.jpg

-==-

Aww, I remember seeing that big orange roof driving in to Nashville all the time when I was a kid. It was kind of a beacon of "We're almost in the city!" which always got me excited. If I recall correctly, my family had a few late night meals there after Christmas shopping or the like, too.

Looking at the Google Maps satellite view shows that it's been long shuttered, though. I'd love to do a little urban exploration and check out the interior to see if any of the funky 60s fixtures are still there.

• Like 1

Super excited about this!  Not only because I have a couple of building lots one block over but it will be great for the neighbors in that area to have such a place just a short walk away.  I drank a Ruby or 6 today in celebration.

Super excited about this!  Not only because I have a couple of building lots one block over but it will be great for the neighbors in that area to have such a place just a short walk away.  I drank a Ruby or 6 today in celebration.

Just now realized that Fat Bottom's moving to only about 2 blocks from where I had done a lot of business at 44th and Michigan ─ "Contractors Marble and Tile", both right near the train track (Cockrill Bend Industrial cut-off from the CSX Bruceton line).  I realize that a number of long-previously existing industrial-commercial structures along that line have become somewhat fallen flags over time (e.g. Bruce Hardwood Floors, just over a mile NW of there), and what remains of these fortunately can be made available for such novel reuse.

I also see that Michigan Ave has undergone a revival of new development between 45th and 46th ─ definitely a transformation and shot-in-the-arm move, IMO.

-==-

• Like 1