smeagolsfree

Charlotte Ave/Charlotte Park/Sylvan Park/Bellevue/West Nash./Nations

Brightside Bakeshop will be taking one of the spaces being offered in the repurposing of a former church at 4909 Indiana Ave. in The Nations.  Other tenants will be announced soon.

More behind theNashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21077380/bakery-set-for-exchurch-building-in-the-nations

4909 Indiana Ave 2 render X, April, 2017.png

• Like 3

Another apartment project proposed in the Nations. If someone wants to go to the Post it is there as well as the NBJ. I already have it on the Development map for those of you that want to see the location.

It is at 5800 Centennial. I just try not to  post the stories I contribute to.

There are some other things that are now on the map if you look that may be of interest. Little Easter eggs if you will. I will have the map updated hopefully this weekend now that I have my computer back.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, markhollin said:

Novel Bellevue (12 buildings, 2 and 3 stories, 337 apts.) update.  Complete and open.

They changed the name of this, by the way. It's now called the Sawyer at One Bellevue Place. Not sure if it changed ownership or what

• Like 1

Was out at One  Bellevue Place late afternoon/early evening this past Wednesday and I could not help notice how empty this development seems. None of the restaurants seem to have had hardly a sole in them. I have been through there during the week and weekend for lunch and have noticed pretty much the same thing.

IMO, this project is a huge disaster. The retail is far removed from the resataurants,  there are no office buildings to generate traffic during the week for these businesses,  the retail anchor stores are not strong choices for the average person, the sidewalks are hap hazzard in some places that make it dangerous for pedestrians to bet from point A to point b in the complex.

If the good folks at Crosland wanted to know how to do something right I would have sufggested they come here first and get recomendations on how things should work.

I am really afraid at the first sign of a economic slow down, this will be one of the first casualties in Nashville. This is just Bellevue Mall without the roof. Nothing at all exciting about this project.

If you dont like my post and have not been there I suggest you take a drive out there and form your own opinion. 

• Like 2

I totally agree about the redevelopment in Bellevue. It is simply bland and boring and definitely not a destination for anything.  Nashville West seems much busier. You are spot on that it is just the old Bellevue Mall without the roof. 

• Like 1

Definitely agree, @smeagolsfree and @dxfret. I decided to concretely map out exactly why One Bellevue's design is so nonsensical (see diagram below - they don't have a proper directory on the website, so I color-coded their building map). The central "main street" is an island of ONLY restaurants, surrounded by a sea of parking, and then most of the useful retail is at the peripheries. The parking that is closest if you are coming in from the highway literally only looks at loading docks, and it is oriented towards the back side of Sprouts rather than giving access to the "main street." The distances are daunting in the heat - it's almost a quarter of a mile to walk from the restaurants to the box stores (0.14 miles just to cross the parking, then the distance to your store of choice - meaning that you practically end up moving your car over and over again to visit more than one location, unless for some reason your ideal outing is to eat at four different restaurants (seeing as The Halal Guys has packed up and is moving to Sylvan Park, I think the restaurants are realizing that they're fighting each other over a few customers who eat at one or two places at most). And if you actually lived in the apartment complex, it's almost half a mile - pure Manhattan distance - to get to Sprouts for groceries (even farther for Publix, added in the bottom right). That's the awkward distance where it becomes a pain to walk for errands, but feels stupid to drive. It would be ideal for a bike, but there is no bike infrastructure here so forget that. Even simple things like having entrances on more than one side of the larger stores would help immensely (the little arrows indicate which way the stores face). It's a shame because there are places here that I do find useful - it's the most accessible Michael's for arts and craft supplies, and I do like Sprouts.

1873852887_OneBellevueAnnotated.thumb.jpg.2ce4d07c9af1e94f0bd11582877b6228.jpg

I grew up with The Streets at Southpoint in Durham, NC, which was another car-oriented destination with a movie theater, restaurants, and retail, but it was a lot better designed and therefore always bustling with people. There's an outdoor "main street" (on the left side) with a movie theater at one end, just like One Bellevue (but the theater's plaza has fountains for kids and lots of places for their parents to sit), and the pedestrian path leads directly to the front entrance of a two-story mall. The "main street" mixes together varied retail (home decor, books, clothes) and restaurants, so you could spend all your time there if you wanted, and same with the mall itself (great for hot muggy days - I like air conditioning inside AND outside of stores ...). But if you wanted to go to both, as I often did, the transition was seamless. The parking is completely out of sight once you are immersed in the shopping experience - no quarter-mile treks with shopping bags in your hand.

26118961_StreetsatSouthpoint.PNG.b9ce086bd43001d79a85d2e8ceaa02ac.PNG

Edited by AsianintheNations
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I sure do wish the developers and land planners would come over here and read the comments and see why they had their heads up their neverregions and do something right for a change.

• Like 1

I wouldn't sweat it. The hotel is just now coming online, and the restaurants should see some traffic from that. The ice center and community center should help out as well.

Replacing the office space with a nursing home was a poor decision, though.

There is a wild card that will either boost the development traffic or completely wreck it: word on the street is that a certain chicken sandwich restaurant is looking at the outparcel across from Publix.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

I wouldn't sweat it. The hotel is just now coming online, and the restaurants should see some traffic from that. The ice center and community center should help out as well.

Replacing the office space with a nursing home was a poor decision, though.

There is a wild card that will either boost the development traffic or completely wreck it: word on the street is that a certain chicken sandwich restaurant is looking at the outparcel across from Publix.

I heard the same from a lady that works at Publix; but I checked on the website and nothing of note was under the "new developments". Probably beacuse it's not yet under construction and still a proposal?

Edited by OnePointEast

3 hours ago, OnePointEast said:

I heard the same from a lady that works at Publix; but I checked on the website and nothing of note was under the "new developments". Probably beacuse it's not yet under construction and still a proposal?

From Development Tracker

48286984832_ff445ed2d5_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Turnip Truck market's conversion of the 15,000 sq. ft. former Cash and Carry building at 5001 Charlotte has received a $2.44 million permit for build-out. Crain Construction is doing the job. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21077998/turnip-truck-project-lands-244m-permit

Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 6.36.21 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2019 at 7:57 AM, markhollin said:

Brightside Bakeshop will be taking one of the spaces being offered in the repurposing of a former church at 4909 Indiana Ave. in The Nations.  Other tenants will be announced soon.

More behind theNashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21077380/bakery-set-for-exchurch-building-in-the-nations

4909 Indiana Ave 2 render X, April, 2017.png

"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God."  Matthew 4:4

• Like 2

Staybridge Hotel (4 stories, 163 rooms) update.

Looking SW from intersection of Charlotte Ave. and 21st Ave. North:

Staybridge Hotel, Charlotte Ave, July 7, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking south from  Charlotte Ave. and 21st Ave. North:

Staybridge Hotel, Charlotte Ave, July 7, 2019, 2.jpg

Looking SE from intersection of Charlotte Ave. and 22nd Ave. North:

Staybridge Hotel, Charlotte Ave, July 7, 2019, 3.jpg

Looking north from 22nd Ave. North, 1/2 block north of Murphy Ave:

Staybridge Hotel, Charlotte Ave, July 7, 2019, 4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Harmony at Bellevue,  a 154,376 square-foot assisted living facility at 8234 Highway 100, has landed a building permit of $25.3 million to begin construction . It will get underway this month and be finished by  spring of 2021.  Hardaway Construction Corp. is handling the build.  Still no rendering.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/construction/article/21077981/permit-patrol-15-july-2019

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map show the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 4.44.10 PM.png

• Like 1