smeagolsfree

Charlotte Ave/Charlotte Park/Sylvan Park/Bellevue/West Nash./Nations

Having never even gone into The Nations, these posts help me to see the boundaries and that it's now spilling over Briley. It must be booming beyond belief. 

• Like 2

Lofts of 44th  (3 & 4 stories, 14 units) update.  Nearly complete.

Looking SW from intersection of Kentucky Ave. and 44th Ave. North:

Lofts on 44th, June 7, 2020, 1.jpg

Looking NW from 44th Ave. North, 1/2 block north of Michigan Ave:

Lofts on 44th, June 7, 2020, 2.jpg

• Like 2

Not a fan of the all white paint job. This is a large "block" and the single, all white, color emphasizes that. They spent some money to break up the mass with different exterior finishes then concealed the fact by painting it one color.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Having never even gone into The Nations, these posts help me to see the boundaries and that it's now spilling over Briley. It must be booming beyond belief. 

I guess you can say it is spilling over, however going from the east, you have The Nations, and the West Park (Urbandale) on the East side of Briley. The development did start on Michigan and sort moved west but quickly exploded all over the Nations. 

When you cross over Briley the lines are blurred between areas called Croley Wood and Charlotte Park. It is mostly considered Croley Wood but some call it Charlotte Park.

There is lots of older housing stock that was built in the 30's and 40's and even earlier in the Nations that was substandard. There is still a smattering of a few Queen Ann's in the area which would have been built around the turn of the 20th century. The further west you go the newer the homes get with a lot of the homes on the car street names being built in the modern split level and ranch style. 

Some of those are now coming down in favor of the tall and skinnies.  I am just doing this from observation as an amateur as I am unsure of the actual dates of the homes built.

• Thanks 1

2AVES Townhomes (2 & 3 stories, 58 units) update: Most buildings topped out. The corner is going to be a small park. 

Looking south from intersection of James Ave. and Vernon Ave:

2AVES, June 7, 2020, 1.jpg

Looking SW from intersection of James Ave. and Vernon Ave:

2AVES, June 7, 2020, 2.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/17/2020 at 2:05 PM, markhollin said:

This screenshot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Arcade at Annex, June 17, 2020, site map.png

The roads in Charlotte Park have fascinated me ever since I moved here. I figured out that there's a whole series of streets named after old Ford car models and related people/concepts/places (which I now realize Smeagolsfree already referenced above), but can someone please enlighten me as to why there are a 23rd and 24th St (seen in the top left) that seem to have nothing to do with any other street grid? I've looked up old maps and I don't see any evidence that the streets have ever looked different in the past. Also, the numbered streets in East Nashville only go up to 20th St that I know of, so it doesn't seem like there's any relationship to that numbering either.

By the way, @smeagolsfree, the years you mentioned for the houses in Croley Wood/Charlotte Park check out with old USGS maps. The first few streets and houses just across from Richland Creek seem to appear around the early 1930s, with the area near Charlotte Pike filling out in the 1950s and the neighborhood largely in its current configuration by the 1960s.

1932 (https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/img4/ht_icons/overlay/TN/TN_Nashville_153396_1932_62500_geo.jpg):
1932.JPG.5e41837668570ef12c5420a9394b38d7.JPG

1968 (https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/img4/ht_icons/overlay/TN/TN_Nashville West_149136_1968_24000_geo.jpg):
The Briley Parkway route was just marked as a proposal at this point, hence the lighter shade of red and passing directly over existing houses on a section of 63rd-Vernon that doesn't exist any more (the bridge now connects 63rd to James instead)
1968s.jpg.f4f54d2aeb739a9c9204483bddefa627.jpg

Edited by AsianintheNations
  • Like 3

According to J. R. Lind, of the Nashville Scene

"When the Sylvan Park Land Co. began development in the late 19th century, it was outside of Nashville’s city limits and had its own street-numbering scheme. What is now 39th Avenue was First Street in West Nashville and so on. When it was annexed by the city, Nashville simply added 38 to the street numbers and redesignated them as avenues, leaving the ordinal-plus-street specification to the East Side. Except for 23rd, which remains today. https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/walk-a-mile/article/21122539/walk-a-mile-west-park-to-robertson-avenue

Additionally, I was told that there is no 50th Ave because that's where the trolly line went. My source lives in the old trolly/rail station-turned home on Illinois.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

After looking at the 1968 map, I think I'm most impressed with the fact there was a drive in movie theater just west of the current Charlotte Ave Kroger, and that there is no access to I-40 in the area except White Bridge road. 

Also, I didn't know Blakemore didn't connect to Wedgewood 50 years ago. It's fascinating how some areas change so much, while some remain (infrastructure-ally) the same.

• Like 3

@Mike G Thanks so much for the explanation! That is so satisfying to finally know.

I definitely appreciate that 28th, 31st, Blakemore, and Wedgewood are now connected the way they are. On the other hand, we've lost Centennial Blvd going straight on into Jefferson St., though I certainly understand wanting a nice quad instead of a lot of truck traffic passing through the center of TSU. And then there's all the streets and neighborhoods that got chopped up by the highways and other bypass creations (I didn't realize Magnolia Blvd was also a relatively recent addition).

• Like 1

Thanks Mike G for sharing yout knowledge. I was just basing my info on observation, but it is always great to get history about an area. I know a lot of the areas of Nashville  that were in the county pre Metro even had some duplicate street names and still do. 

Also when the city/county government was formed, many of these areas never received any attention until just recently now that they are starting to grow. So that is 50 and sometimes 60 years of neglect by Metro and it all hit at the same time. I think that is one of the reasons Metro has been having a hard time keeping up with infrastructure issue's in these areas and costing Metro dearly now.

• Like 2

5916 Morrow (3 stories, 6 units, ground floor retail) update.  Site cleared  and being prepped.

Looking NE from intersection of Morrow Rd. and 60th Ave. North:

5916 Morrow, June 7, 2020.jpg

• Like 1

Treaty Oaks Townhomes (3 stories,  18 units?) update.  Exteriors nearing completion.

Looking NE from Treaty Oaks Dr., 1/2 block west of 57th Ave. North:

Treaty Oaks Townhomes, June 7, 2020, 1.jpg

Looking north from Treaty Oaks Dr., 1/2 block west of 57th Ave. North:

Treaty Oaks Townhomes, June 7, 2020, 2.jpg

• Like 3

49th & Tennessee (49 two & three story homes) update: About 40% topped out.

Looking SE from intersection of Louisiana Ave. and 49th Ave. North:

49th & Tennessee, June 7, 2020, 1.jpg

Looking NE from Tennessee Ave., near intersection with 48th Ave. North:

49th & Tennessee, June 7, 2020, 2.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/19/2020 at 10:48 PM, Mike G said:

After looking at the 1968 map, I think I'm most impressed with the fact there was a drive in movie theater just west of the current Charlotte Ave Kroger, and that there is no access to I-40 in the area except White Bridge road. 

Also, I didn't know Blakemore didn't connect to Wedgewood 50 years ago. It's fascinating how some areas change so much, while some remain (infrastructure-ally) the same.

That Hillsboro neighborhood got reconfigured in '71~'72. I don't remember the connector being named Magnolia but I certainly remember riding it on my Honda 305 Scrambler. My dad and his family moved from Atlanta to Nashville when he was 14 for about a 3 year period in the late '30's, and the house they lived in was razed to put in the connector. As you can imagine, commuter traffic through Hillsboro Village to 21st was the reason, plus converting 16th and 17th to one-way.  I  alsorecall driving through those neighborhoods when the streets were being torn up but still driveable.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 4

Alta Union (four buildings of 4 stories, 283 units, some ground level retail) has landed five more permits for continuing progress of construction. The project is slated to be open by summer of 2021.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21138470/work-set-to-start-on-project-in-the-nations

• Like 1

Dismas House (4 stories, 76 beds of transitional housing) update.  Complete and open.

Looking west from The Sheds on Charlotte:

Dismas House, June 16, 2020, 1.jpg

Looking NW from Charlotte Ave., 1/4 block east of 25th Ave. North:

Dismas House, June 16, 2020, 2.jpg

Looking NE from Charlotte Ave., 1/4 block west of 25th Ave. North:

Dismas House, June 16, 2020, 3.jpg

• Like 4

Flats at West Meade (3 stories, 24 units) update.  Topped out.

Looking south from Charlotte Ave., 1/4 block east of Charlotte Road Circle:

Flats at West Meade, June 16, 2020.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 5:44 AM, markhollin said:

Flats at West Meade (3 stories, 24 units) update.  Topped out.

They're going to finish an apartment complex before the Popeye's opens.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

where does this funding come from?

I would think that hospitals (whether for profit or non profit) would take out construction financing loans like any other business.

• Thanks 1