Proposed Baseball Stadium in VB

carolinaboy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one that doesn't understand the reasoning behind this? We already have minor league baseball, a team that gets pretty good support, and a stadium that is more than adequate for the attendance level. Lets support the tides instead of trying to dilute the market. I'm all for pursuing a basketball arena since there isn't one anywhere in the area but this is a tad ridiculous.

I'm not impressed by it either. Harbor Park is a fine facility, and we also have the Peninsula Pilots. I know it'll be on a lower level, but this area does not need another lower-tier sports team. They're not seeking council money, so that's cool. I just think the next team brought here needs to be a "Big-4" or MLS.

Am I the only one that doesn't understand the reasoning behind this? We already have minor league baseball, a team that gets pretty good support, and a stadium that is more than adequate for the attendance level. Lets support the tides instead of trying to dilute the market. I'm all for pursuing a basketball arena since there isn't one anywhere in the area but this is a tad ridiculous.

All this would do is cannibalize attendance from the Tides.  I guess from VB point of view, no city money and it's a source or tax income, but it just furthers the gap in city cooperation to so blatantly but heads with Norfolk IMO.  I don't like this idea at all.  It is very disturbing.

On a side note, I really don't see how an independent league will succeed here.  We couldn't even get the independent football league to stay for over a year with less games and less seats to fill, and with former professionals playing.  This area is too sports savvy to be duped by an amateur league they are trying to sell as professional.

While I agree this area is tired of minor leagues being trotted out (don't even get me started on the "Major League.....Lacrosse" team that played at Scope last year), the UFL's failure was because of the league management's incompetence. Fans packed the Sportsplex the first year, it's just the UFL screwed everything up from there on (before too honestly), and cut the season midway through.

That one pisses me off just as much as the Kings using VB for leverage; in both cases it gives the region another black eye, which gives the naysayers the "I told you so!" ammo they love so much.

Honestly, I don't want this area introducing any more sports teams unless a) it's a Big-4, MLS, or even Arena Football, or b) a deal is truly set in stone to happen. No leverage deals or anything like that. A bona fide deal to set up shop in Hampton Roads.

I'm not impressed by it either. Harbor Park is a fine facility, and we also have the Peninsula Pilots. I know it'll be on a lower level, but this area does not need another lower-tier sports team. They're not seeking council money, so that's cool. I just think the next team brought here needs to be a "Big-4" or MLS.

I agree that the city should focus on one of the 5 pro leagues, though I personally think MLS is their best bet at getting the first Major League team in the area seeing the League will be in need of expanding into the Southeast and will soon be looking for the right cities to do that in.

Though I will say, the Atlantic League doesn't really compete with teams like the Tides because it isn't affiliated with MLB and if private investors want to bring an Alantic League team there without public money, then I say they should go for it.

• 2 months later...

Looks like this project is still alive and well.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/04/va-beach-group-pursuing-baseball-team-plans-briefing

I'm optimistic about this project.  I've looked at some of the economic impacts of independent league baseball and it seems that they often provide better economic benefits than affiliated minor league baseball teams.  As a die-hard Tides fan I would hate for this to adversely impact them, but I think this development would be fantastic for Virginia Beach from a strictly economic standpoint.

This is such a stupid idea IMO, but at least it's a tax payer, so whatever.  Cannibalizing from the Tides with players that aren't even professional is a little ridiculous, but they want to put it there so so be it.

This is a professional baseball team that would be here, it would be the same caliber of play as a single-A minor league team.  It's not trying to cannibalize the baseball market, it is attempting to capitalize on the growing population of this area of Virginia Beach that likely would not have attended a Tides game in the first place.  While Tides tickets are inexpensive, couple that with gas money and expensive concessions and you have an outing that would cost more than $40 for a family of 4. This would be an even less expensive than AAA games for a family on a budget.  This would also be an excellent community development tool as the developer is set to built 7-12 youth baseball fields adjacent to the site.  I wouldn't go see a Virginia Beach team over the Tides, but I know for some families, it's the only option.

• 10 months later...

So the council approved a 5,000 seat stadium for this team. Still not happy with it, but whatever.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/02/beach-council-oks-plan-baseball-stadium-pro-team

Why are you not happy?  The City used a pretty good mix of economic development tools, the company will construct 17 ball fields for public use in an area experiencing the biggest chunk of growth in families, and people who do not want to drive all the way to Norfolk (and who otherwise would not have) can see professional baseball at a reasonable price.  The Atlantic League is the highest performing independent baseball league and even outperforms several classes of minor league baseball.  I think the City made the right call here, but I am interested in hearing your point of view.

No problem. I think it's just the fact that we already have the Tides and the Pilots. I get that the drive from VB to downtown can be a bit much (and vice versa), but it shouldn't necessarily be a deterrent.

If anything, it kinda reinforces the idea that people don't like venturing into the other cities for whatever reason.

Light rail is the only way to regionalism in HR. VB may be our only chance at true big city amenities-

Yes, I support the Norfolk Tides/Admirals wholeheartedly, but it's not the same as MLB/NHL- and never will be. We need prime- time.

So if VB gets an Independent ball club- Who cares? Not everyone is as captured by DT norfolk as many of us are. Norfolk may have to just play second-best in the region in the long run. Like a smaller concept of Minneapolis- St. Paul- Who knows?

So the council approved a 5,000 seat stadium for this team. Still not happy with it, but whatever.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/02/beach-council-oks-plan-baseball-stadium-pro-team

A 5000 seat stadium is a pretty save and useful investment for the city.  Though nothing to get too excited about because it is still basically a minor league team, but the stadium could be used for other forms of baseball besides just an independent team.

• 3 months later...

Some renderings for the stadium proposal:

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/06/virginia-beach-baseball-stadium-comes-focus

Also, this stadium is planned to host summer college baseball, and Tidewater Community College baseball. It looks like the owner is not going to put all his eggs in the independent pro baseball basket. This is a win/win for the city.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived