The Ave.

The Voice of Reason

It sounds cool when you call it that...

Anyways, there are a bunch of groups looking into how to improve Albany Ave.

I thought this thread can cover them and be open for discussion on one of the gritiest streets in the city, and a major gateway/

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130131/NEWS01/130139956

http://courantblogs.com/ct-real-estate/urban-planning-experts-target-the-avenue-in-hartford/

So, there are a few key parcels on the Avenue that have been updated in recent years, but there are still some glaring holes,  (this can be said of most of hartford)

anyone else read the articles on this?

they mentioned a whole foods and a mixed use development in place of the westbrook projects.

seemed a little pie in the sky, so while we are dreaming, anything have any thoughts, comments ideas?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good observation..

I had not even thought of that.

I think Whole foods is absolutely nuts, but Maybe an Aldi up there built into some mixed use development wouls work.   the issue again is that there needs to be some serious, and seriously expensive anchors built in the area to make it seem more attractive to passers through.

I will say this though.  I almost never drive Albany Ave, but recently did for the first time in maybe 2 years.   It looks WAY better than it used to.  Mind you there is less loitering in the winter than summber, but the improvements have absolutely helped Albany Ave.

• 4 weeks later...

I think a borderline upscale mixed use development could work well on the Westbrook site. If they could get something with a mix of a few chain and independent restaurants, some nice walkable housing, a little retail, it could really transform that end of the Ave. There really is a large base of middle class, upper middle class, and even wealthy folks in the sorounding neighborhood. I'm from around there and my parents still live there and many people that live there are oriented more towards West Hartford/West End than North Hartford due to their socioeconomic status. Personally, I'm ready for some gentrification in that area and I'm not afraid to to admit it. I'd love to see the area more integrated with UHart and West Harford. Having Westbrook there is not doing the neighborhood any favors.

Archived