Germantown Law

northernbizzkit1

I'm curious as to whether any of you guys have heard about this in your part of the state. Germantown, the most affluent suburb of Memphis, is examining a few laws and city codes so as to buck the age of neighborhoods reaching the age of 20, 30, and even 40. I myself am calling it the first attempt to give a city Botox to hide its age. Why? Germantown is truly trying to mask the wrinkles by imposing stringent regulations on when garbage can be placed in front of a home (no earlier than 6 AM on garbage day and no later than 8 AM the day after garbage day) and even how long a garage door may be open. I've gotten word that there is even the possibility of enforcing an inspection of driveway quality (can't have too many cracks!). I myself am actually for the codes as long as they are tweaked to be a bit more clear on a few of the guidelines. If you accidentally leave the driveway lights on, you can face a $50 fine. It has a good motive, but it may just need some tweaking to make it work. The suburb (my hometown) has the citizens who the Memphis Flyer stated "have a universal hobby of yard work," so I don't feel there will be a mass riot should the city council accept and pass the rules. I guess it is a way to retain the lofty image Germantown has kept. I mean, according to a few sites and books in the library, it has the lowest poverty level in the country...I guess they want to keep it that way.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Franklin has a brick building code...I think you have to have special permission to build without using brick...Brentwood requires a 1 acre lot for building and a certain number of sq ft per floor (I believe).

Gallatin also adopted the brick building code thing, which is stupid for a city like that...

Franklin has a brick building code...I think you have to have special permission to build without using brick...Brentwood requires a 1 acre lot for building and a certain number of sq ft per floor (I believe).

Gallatin also adopted the brick building code thing, which is stupid for a city like that...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hendersonville also adopted the brick building code. Why is it stupid for Gallatin? It makes the city look better and encourages better retail. The two cities also have sign ordinances requiring all new signs to be at ground level. Hendersonville also has strict codes on lawn signs in residential areas.

There was an article in the Flyer this week about that.

Seemed that a number of citizens didn't particularly care for the new ordinance.

I guess the city is worried about becoming the proverbial inner-ring suburb since it's now virtually surrounded by Memphis and its evilness. lol

Man, that sounds a bit fascist. My parents live in Germantown. They worked (and still work) hard to get a piece of the American dream. These regulations are bs. The town should worry more about promoting a walkable, livable community than the number of cracks on a driveway. When I return to the Memphis area, that's one town I will not be considering to purchase a home. I will give them this, though, nice schools and I dig the bike lanes.

Hendersonville also adopted the brick building code.  Why is it stupid for Gallatin?  It makes the city look better and encourages better retail.  The two cities also have sign ordinances requiring all new signs to be at ground level.  Hendersonville also has strict codes on lawn signs in residential areas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why is it stupid for Gallatin? Because they have a lot of industrial property too...and my dad's business is up there...he is also the landlord to several business properties...so if he wants to ever expand, he would now have to build in brick...it drives costs up a lot, so a lot of businesses couldn't afford to locate there.

Note to self, never buy a home or live in Germantown. ;)

I personally would not want to live in a town that went that far in regulating what I do with my property. Keeping property junk and trash free are one thing, but yard signs driveway cracks, garage doors, garbage cans, etc is getting a little too intrusive IMO. I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood where the people cared that much about those things either.

Archived