Moving to Lincolnton: how close to Charlotte ?

Dale

In my quest to get to Charlotte, it wouldn't have been my first place, but I got a crazy deal on rent. I'll be sharing a house with a former client of mine (I'm a fitness trainer). She's signing a year lease. So, I expect I'll stay that long and then hope to have the resources to move closer in.

Googled driving time to Charlotte and got 47 minutes. Is that about right ? Again, farther than I had hoped, but not an intolerable commute if I found temp work closer to Charlotte. And it takes me that long to drive from one end of Orlando to the other, which is where I am now.

Anyone familiar with Lincolnton, its charms, merits ... demerits ?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting to Charlotte from Lincolnton (which I lived in Lincolnton 2010-2012) is annoying. You have to take the back roads on NC73 east and then NC16 south which takes you straight to uptown.

Lincolnton has a very charming downtown but and its part of Metro Hickory. The atmosphere in general is sort of old school southern, It's not a small town but it seems like everyone knows everyone there. It always felt isolated from Charlotte to me.

It's not miserable to live there. But it has a way different feeling than living in Mecklenburg County. Oh, and the final episode of Extreme Makeover Home Edition was in Lincolnton

Living in Lincolnton you'll be close to Huntersville (Sam Furr Road) which is a beautiful, beautiful area. But like I said; it's very different living in Lincolnton and going to CLT occasionally and living in CLT. Once you move here, feel free to ask about places to check out in CLT.

Thanks for the tips. Almost sounds like south to Gaston and then east to CLT is quicker. Wish there was a more direct route. Strange, I already feel a little isolated. But it sounds like Lincolnton is a pleasant little place, living there is an interim measure, and i suppose I should view it as establishing a beachhead, for future forays into CLT.

Thanks for the tips. Almost sounds like south to Gaston and then east to CLT is quicker. Wish there was a more direct route. Strange, I already feel a little isolated. But it sounds like Lincolnton is a pleasant little place, living there is an interim measure, and i suppose I should view it as establishing a beachhead, for future forays into CLT.

I would take 321S to I-85N from Lincolnton to Charlotte. But then I haven't tried the other way, so not sure how it measures up on time.

I would take 321S to I-85N from Lincolnton to Charlotte. But then I haven't tried the other way, so not sure how it measures up on time.

It's the same amount of time. If you live west of 321, 321 would probably be easier. If you live east of 321 towards Boger City, mine as well go the back roads.

Overall the same amount of time, I found on a daily commute.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm happy to announce that I've been hired by Red Ventures, a firm in Ft. Mill. Their very generous compensation package will enable me to move closer in right away, no numbing commute.

FYI: Red Ventures is in major growth mode. So, if any of you know anyone who is looking for work, let me know and I'll be happy to facilitate an introduction.

I'm happy to announce that I've been hired by Red Ventures, a firm in Ft. Mill. Their very generous compensation package will enable me to move closer in right away, no numbing commute.

FYI: Red Ventures is in major growth mode. So, if any of you know anyone who is looking for work, let me know and I'll be happy to facilitate an introduction.

Dale, congrats on the new job.  I actually applied with them a few months ago and even though I'm just as qualified if not more qualified than anyone else that works there, apparently I didn't do well enough on my interview for them to hire me.  :-/  It kind of upsets me because I know many people that work there that barely graduated high school.  

Dale, congrats on the new job.  I actually applied with them a few months ago and even though I'm just as qualified if not more qualified than anyone else that works there, apparently I didn't do well enough on my interview for them to hire me.  :-/  It kind of upsets me because I know many people that work there that barely graduated high school.  

Thanks for the congrats and am very sorry to hear about your experience. Did you find a job ?

Red Ventures is a mysterious company to me...looks like a fun place to work, but I just can't really figure out what it is that they do. What is a normal day like there for an employee? Cold calling? Getting warm leads to call? What are some of the things that they market/sell? Just curious...I have always wondered about it.

Red Ventures is a mysterious company to me...looks like a fun place to work, but I just can't really figure out what it is that they do. What is a normal day like there for an employee? Cold calling? Getting warm leads to call? What are some of the things that they market/sell? Just curious...I have always wondered about it.

Read all about it. ;)

http://www.redventures.com

But no, no cold calling. In fact, no outbound calls. Just inbound calls.

Thanks for the congrats and am very sorry to hear about your experience. Did you find a job ?

Dale, I am still in school and still working in a restaurant as I have been for many years....would've been a good change if I would've been hired by RedVentures...they asked such crazy questions during the interview proces :-/

Dale, I am still in school and still working in a restaurant as I have been for many years....would've been a good change if I would've been hired by RedVentures...they asked such crazy questions during the interview proces :-/

They did. It was very rigorous and somewhat offbeat. Glad you're working. I know quite a few people who aren't.

Read all about it. ;)

http://www.redventures.com

But no, no cold calling. In fact, no outbound calls. Just inbound calls.

Yeah....that's not entirely true.

They hype themselves a lot, but there is a reason they have a tremendous amount of turnover.  My office in Charlotte has 4 employees. Three of us came from Red Ventures. None of us were there for more than a year.

I was not a fan of RV. They lied several times during my interview. They told me my hours would be Monday - Friday from 9-5....and they were....for a week during training. They also told me there was no cold calling or outbound calling, but this was regular. That may have changed, but there were DEFINITELY dozens of phone calls a day to people who had no idea why we were calling them.

My advice to anyone working at RV is never stop looking for a new job because a lot of their new hires don't make it past month 3. For those that do, it can be a lucrative place to work, but only if you are really good at inside sales.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all because some people truly like working there, but I've heard several stories from people that moved here to work for RV only to find themselves unemployed a few months later. That's why I say never stop looking for a new job. If you're there past the probation period and are among the top in your new hire class, then your job is probably safe.

If you aren't doing sales, then disregard all of this. The non-sales positions have good pay and benefits, but long hours and strict deadlines.

Yeah....that's not entirely true.

They hype themselves a lot, but there is a reason they have a tremendous amount of turnover.  My office in Charlotte has 4 employees. Three of us came from Red Ventures. None of us were there for more than a year.

I was not a fan of RV. They lied several times during my interview. They told me my hours would be Monday - Friday from 9-5....and they were....for a week during training. They also told me there was no cold calling or outbound calling, but this was regular. That may have changed, but there were DEFINITELY dozens of phone calls a day to people who had no idea why we were calling them.

My advice to anyone working at RV is never stop looking for a new job because a lot of their new hires don't make it past month 3. For those that do, it can be a lucrative place to work, but only if you are really good at inside sales.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all because some people truly like working there, but I've heard several stories from people that moved here to work for RV only to find themselves unemployed a few months later. That's why I say never stop looking for a new job. If you're there past the probation period and are among the top in your new hire class, then your job is probably safe.

If you aren't doing sales, then disregard all of this. The non-sales positions have good pay and benefits, but long hours and strict deadlines.

Well, of course I would expect a high turnover. It's a push environment. And everywhere I've ever worked, in that kind of environment, I've witnessed lots of folks who couldn't cut it.

FWIW, they were very frank with me, from the beginning that, as a new employee I would need to be open to working odd shifts.

Also, I spent a goodly amount of time observing, on the ground, and never witnessed the first outbound call.

Well, of course I would expect a high turnover. It's a push environment. And everywhere I've ever worked, in that kind of environment, I've witnessed lots of folks who couldn't cut it.

FWIW, they were very frank with me, from the beginning that, as a new employee I would need to be open to working odd shifts.

Also, I spent a goodly amount of time observing, on the ground, and never witnessed the first outbound call.

Could have just been my department...it was a bit different than the others they had and it didn't last long.

Best of luck. If you have worked in that kind of environment in the past then you aren't in for any surprises.

Welcome to Charlotte.

Could have just been my department...it was a bit different than the others they had and it didn't last long.

Best of luck. If you have worked in that kind of environment in the past then you aren't in for any surprises.

Welcome to Charlotte.

Thanks, friend. And I'll be the first to suggest that sales aren't for everyone. Also, I trust you found the job that was right for you.

Thanks, friend. And I'll be the first to suggest that sales aren't for everyone. Also, I trust you found the job that was right for you.

I have. I work in digital marketing as well, but my company focuses mostly on medium sized businesses instead of the billion + dollar national brands like RV (although we'd love to have some of those too!)

I have. I work in digital marketing as well, but my company focuses mostly on medium sized businesses instead of the billion + dollar national brands like RV (although we'd love to have some of those too!)

Glad you landed in a favorable situation.

Just throwing this out here ....

I'm looking for a place to live. Don't want to be too far away from work, in Ft. Mill, but wouldn't mind living fairly close to South End or even Uptown.

If any of you (or anyone you know) wants to go halfsies on a place I might be interested.

FYI: roomie would have to be a dog lover. I have two small but relatively non-yappy dogs.

Archived