Your NWA Wishlist

TRB

I'm new to the board but I'm just going to jump in.

So many things never saw the light of day that was once proposed. Some should be revisited and discussed. I once read about a proposed white water park for Fayetteville that mimicked real rivers and streams. This is a rare thing in the states. The past two summers would have likely busted the place at the seems with the lack of the real stuff due to drought. I'd like to take that concept a step or two farther. Recently Liberty University (yes, yes Faldwell's school) opened another rare type of attraction that's basically an artificial ski slope. Combine these two concepts with a world class artificial rock climbing center and an artificial cave complex. It would be a venture with the U of A but open to the public like Liberty's ski facility. Here are the examples I've pulled from:

ASCI Adventures:

Adventure_Sports_Center_International_(A

http://www.adventuresportscenter.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47:whitewater-rafting&catid=4&Itemid=2

The artificial ski slope

20091111_snowflex-400x300.jpg

http://www.liberty.edu/snowflex/

Indoor/outdoor rock climbing facility

rock-climbing-center.jpg

California-Baptist-University_Riverside_

I feel a facility that housed all these types of activities would be an asset for all. It would offer a great selling point to prospective students. It would open to the public to use and it could host a variety of events that attract visitors from across America and the world. Snowboard events, white water events and so on.

Click the links provided and read up on what they are and how they work. Our terrian provides ample locations for this type of developement

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to UP- always good to have new contributors.

There was a commercial waterpark proposed several years ago, first in the Pleasant Grove area of Rogers and then later at the I540/264 interchange in Lowell. Like so many projects in the area it never was financially viable. I think the presence of large water parks relatively close by in Branson and Tulsa scares off developers of amusement parks in this area in the same way as large arena projects aren't seen as viable with many in the region. Until NWA's population grows much larger I imagine we will be have to travel for those amenities. It certainly isn't likely that local governments would untake these projects with the financials needs they already have.

What water park is in Tulsa?

The water park in Lowell/Rogers off 540 died because of land aquisition bickering. That was back when everyone here thought their farmland was worth it weight in Gold. The Rogers Aquatic Center will be soemwhat of a Water Park.

I would love to see an Ozark themed Water. More local wish lists would likely match a game of Sim CIty.

We need a real zoo. Gentry/Turpentine just dont foot that bill.

Community Parks are nice, but not much to inspire kids. There needs to be a kids activity destination. Like a playground times 100.

Dixon is a nice college bar scene, but there needs to be an adult night life destination. I think downtown Bentonville would be incredible for that.

That waterpark was originally planned for SW Fayetteville then one of the partners tried to move it to Lowell and that is when all of the issues with it began.  At least that is what I heard and that was many years ago. 

I guess the water park in Tulsa he referred to is Big Splash, I think it is still there. 

The first site for water park was for Fayetteville in the land that recently sold to a student housing prospector. Just south of the Best Western. It shifted to the Lowell location where Combs once thought he had landed the supercenter that went on Pleasant Grove. The land is still there in its red dirt glory. THe problem with location was sewer. There was none until the past couple of years.

I'm limited on my phone right now but when I have time tonight, I'll post the water park That I think would fly here and they too had an issue with a local municipal water park.

Things I'd love to see (in no particular order):

Zoo - Gentry safari is fun, but something more centrally located with better variety of animals would be awesome.

Aquarium - The one in Tulsa is OK, but I think we can do better.

Water Park / Amusement Park - Would love to see them in NWA, but probably won't happen in my lifetime.

Larger concert venues - Hope they get Osage Creek Performing Arts Center built and fully utilized one of these days.

Honestly, I would love to see some of the land around Arvest Ballpark get filled up with weekend fun stuff...  Zoo, aquarium, amusement/water parks, etc...  Kind of like the area in Arlington TX where you have Six Flags, The Ballpark at Arlington, Cowboys Stadium, not to mention all the retail & restaurants that surround them.  Obviously the scale here in NWA would be much smaller.  I guess I can hope in one hand...  :)

Yes, Big Splash at the fairgrounds in Tulsa is the name of it.

What would help in having big projects like have been suggested is if NWA had some sort of regional government. Right now it is a series of small towns that often compete with each other and try to provide their own amenities. Imagine if Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers and Bentonville were one city with a population around 225,000 and less repetition of amenities and services- so much more would be possible. The financial resources would be much greater and government much more efficent. I realize this is very unlikely to ever happen due to civic pride and cultural differences but working towards more regional cooperation could do wonders for the metro. I guess that is my big wish for the list.

It really is a shame that the cities can't work in conjunction with each other. We saw it become even more fragmented with the WAC expansion. There's still lots of ill will over that. Now that the WAC is asking for  8 million for what amounts to a facelift for what many see a venue that  will become a second fiddle facility without a capacity increase a bit hard to swallow. How in the life of me that the City didn't have more say in that considering it's a founding partner is beyond me.

Anywho, Springdale has all that land by Arvest and the exit construction seems very near. Here's my pitch of a Water Park that's totally different and targeted for a different clientele than I pitched with my initial post that would fit into that area well. It's in Draper Utah. and it has a multi acre water close by to compete with. The little water park is a neighborhood water park concept created by the owner.  He wanted to find a niche between the 5 buck admission municipal facility (think Springdale's water facility) and the 25 plus bucks a head multi acre water park. He came up with this 2 acre park with a 10 year growth plan to keep fresh stuff coming. Now, I think this area could eventually support a larger facility, this is a good start size and park could reserve a good amount of land to expand. There's some things he reduced costs on with this prototype like sharing a parking lot with an existing outlet mall that may not be handy here  Here it is. Cowabunga Bay

aerial_1.jpg

aerial_3.jpg

I got a FEC/small amusement park idea I'll ramble about later

I'm new to the board but I'm just going to jump in.

Welcome to the forum!   :D   Sorry for the late response.  I've been pretty busy this week. 

Yes, Big Splash at the fairgrounds in Tulsa is the name of it.

What would help in having big projects like have been suggested is if NWA had some sort of regional government. Right now it is a series of small towns that often compete with each other and try to provide their own amenities. Imagine if Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers and Bentonville were one city with a population around 225,000 and less repetition of amenities and services- so much more would be possible. The financial resources would be much greater and government much more efficent. I realize this is very unlikely to ever happen due to civic pride and cultural differences but working towards more regional cooperation could do wonders for the metro. I guess that is my big wish for the list.

Yeah I do have to agree with you.  If most of the major NWA cities were one single entity, I think it would be a lot easier to get some things accomplished. 

A lot of good ideas on here.  For me personally a zoo and aquarium would be great to see.  A water park would also be nice to see.  I also like the ideas of that whitewater themed park or the indoor/outdoor rock climbing facility.  But as zman pointed out.  I wonder if NWA might have to grow a little more to acheieve some of these ideas.  Over all I think more people in NWA would be more likely to head over to Tulsa or the Branson/Springfield areas.  But I don't think NWA has quite gotten to the point where it can really draw people from those areas over here.  Crystal Bridges certainly helps.  But there's other factors as well.  NWA could grow a lot in population but if it's mainly through lower paying jobs it won't do a lot of good for the type of amenities we're talking about.  I've seen some larger metros that you'd think there might be more amenities, but if there's not a solid upper or middle class it doesn't really matter. 

A lot of good ideas on here.  For me personally a zoo and aquarium would be great to see.  A water park would also be nice to see.  I also like the ideas of that whitewater themed park or the indoor/outdoor rock climbing facility.  But as zman pointed out.  I wonder if NWA might have to grow a little more to acheieve some of these ideas.  Over all I think more people in NWA would be more likely to head over to Tulsa or the Branson/Springfield areas.  But I don't think NWA has quite gotten to the point where it can really draw people from those areas over here.  Crystal Bridges certainly helps.  But there's other factors as well.  NWA could grow a lot in population but if it's mainly through lower paying jobs it won't do a lot of good for the type of amenities we're talking about.  I've seen some larger metros that you'd think there might be more amenities, but if there's not a solid upper or middle class it doesn't really matter. 

The aquarium is the least needed. I'll point out the reno of the WOW Museum at Bass Pro. It's undergoing a long renovation but when done it'll have sharks and a whole host of other aquatic stuff that basically makes it an aquarium in a sense. It will even house Manatees.

But I get what you are saying. Maybe we should get after the AG&F for a Nature Center. Why isn't there one in NWA? And no Ft. Smith doesn't count. Fayetteville was once in line in getting the regional hq moved here but politics killed it. Seems a local Fayetteville Democrat (Sue Madison) blocked an appointee of Huck's to the board. That talk disappeared.  When not being bought by the Springdale Liquor Assoc. she was always into something else. Petty is what that was. http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/55972/varnell-to-replace-ackerman-on-game-fish-commission. Prehaps that Nature Center could be part of my Outdoor Recreation Facility with the man made rapids, rocks, caves and the synthetic snow skiing. Pro snowboarders go to Lynchburg Virginia to train at Liberty's facility. Quite honesty, Lake Ft. Smith the idea setting for it but there's no immediate lodging around.

I think if you build something like that you sell it by hosting and bidding on events. Snowboard competitions, Kayaking competitions. It's basically the same thinking behind Fayetteville's regional sports park at the Southpass land. Once you host, the word spreads. There's NO competition around other than our own natural streams and this would serve those folks as well.

The zoo is an idea, It should start smaller but master planned with plenty of space to grow. IT should concentrate on local wildlife in world class exhibits. Quality over Quantity.  This is where you could work some amusement rides in. Have a permanent habitat for Tusk and the replacement breeding program for the U of A. (Think tiny scale Busch Gardens in Tampa) Start with a kick ass Black Bear habitat. Bob Cats, and yes mountain lions.) 

Zoo Arkansas

It really is a shame that the cities can't work in conjunction with each other. We saw it become even more fragmented with the WAC expansion. There's still lots of ill will over that. Now that the WAC is asking for  8 million for what amounts to a facelift for what many see a venue that  will become a second fiddle facility without a capacity increase a bit hard to swallow. How in the life of me that the City didn't have more say in that considering it's a founding partner is beyond me.

I have got to respond to this. I was a very vocal opponent of the so-called WAC expansion to Bentonville. I advocated that the City of Fayetteville and University of Arkansas operate the current facility independent of the WAC. This obviously did not happen then and is not going to happen in the future. It is imperative that we as a community look at what our best options are now. Leaving the current facility as is when there is an opportunity to improve and expand it is short sighted. We need to take advantage of what is being offered without holding grudges over what might have been. There is no obligation for the major funding source to spend any money in Fayetteville. An improved and expanded WAC on Dickson in Fayetteville is well worth the investment by the city and the lack of that investment will hurt the city for a long time to come. An agreement between the City of Fayetteville and the A&P Commission needs to be negotiated and every effort made to convince the voting public to approve it.

I have got to respond to this. I was a very vocal opponent of the so-called WAC expansion to Bentonville. I advocated that the City of Fayetteville and University of Arkansas operate the current facility independent of the WAC. This obviously did not happen then and is not going to happen in the future. It is imperative that we as a community look at what our best options are now. Leaving the current facility as is when there is an opportunity to improve and expand it is short sighted. We need to take advantage of what is being offered without holding grudges over what might have been. There is no obligation for the major funding source to spend any money in Fayetteville. An improved and expanded WAC on Dickson in Fayetteville is well worth the investment by the city and the lack of that investment will hurt the city for a long time to come. An agreement between the City of Fayetteville and the A&P Commission needs to be negotiated and every effort made to convince the voting public to approve it.

I'm all for it provided they give guarantees on the amount and quality of stage shows, performers and other events. I'm not a "we promise" type of person.

I'd also like to a firmer idea on their comittment to bringing in large events to Bud Walton and is the Family Foundation going to help fund the tens of millions in improvements need to bring it up to standards needed to do so. It truely was designed as basketball facility.

And back to the theme of the thread. I'd love to see a regional musuem. A place that has the coolness of the city museum in St. Louis, have a space to bring the Uof A's collection out of storage, A regional collection, a wing that would house traveling exibits from the Smithsonian. American Musueum of Natural History and such and perhaps a planetarium/imax facility. I happened to attend a high school that had it's own planentary and offered courses in astronomy. How cool would it be to sell that type of educational experience for children to companies looking to locate here.

One thing that I would like to see is more of a dinner theater.  A movie theater that serves you food and beverages (beer/wine).  I wish Malco would have added a couple of screens to the Razroback here in Fayetteville that would be something like that.  Or even open up a smaller theater downtown that was just a couple of screens that showed a new releases and independant films.  A comparable theater would be the Alamo Draft Houses in Texas, I loved going to them when I was in Austin.  I guess I wouldn't mind seeing an IMAX as well.... 

Downtown Rogers will soon be a great theatre district. RLT, Opera House, Serendipity, the outdoor stage.  That area would be a great location for a Movie/Dinner combo.

I have heard from two contacts that Lake Atlanta is going to be envisioned as a Nature Center. I dont know what is meant by that.

I love how any comment on the split community brings up the WAC issue. Dixon is a college pub district. WAC in Bentonville is going to be great. Who wants to take their kids to see Shrek the Musical with drunks all around and pointless toll parking??? I welcome fitting events at that venue, and i welcome the expansion of WAC in Benton County. Why cant people from Fayetteville?

Does anyone know if a zoo concept have ever went thru a planning scenario?

It isnt Horror, just not desireable. Maybe Chuck E Cheese should open on Dixon! Nice dodge on the toll parking as well.

My point is that our community has Great other areas than Dixon, and that will become vividly apparant in the next 5 years.

I love what Crown Center(Kansas City) has done for kids. That would never have happened in Westport(Kansas City).

I cant wait to see further development around Arvest Ballpark. The area around the Kansas Speedway(again Kansas CIty) is a great example. I remember when Indian Springs Mall was there. Now, instead of locking my doors when i drive by there, i make it a point to visit the location.

Sorry about all the KC reference, but those tenured examples are close by and certainly applicable.

You are going to pay for parking most everywhere. Sealife/Legoland will validate. Power and Light you are paying. I'm very familiar with all those KC spots and the movie/ dinner thing sounds like what AMC does up there. Your small theatre district sounds a lot like what Memphis is trying to do with Overton Square. I would to some of the stuff that's gone in to KC find its way to my old hometown of Memphis.

It isnt Horror, just not desireable. Maybe Chuck E Cheese should open on Dixon! Nice dodge on the toll parking as well.

My point is that our community has Great other areas than Dixon, and that will become vividly apparant in the next 5 years.

I love what Crown Center(Kansas City) has done for kids. That would never have happened in Westport(Kansas City).

I cant wait to see further development around Arvest Ballpark. The area around the Kansas Speedway(again Kansas CIty) is a great example. I remember when Indian Springs Mall was there. Now, instead of locking my doors when i drive by there, i make it a point to visit the location.

Sorry about all the KC reference, but those tenured examples are close by and certainly applicable.

1. It is Dickson, not Dixon.

2. The college students/drunks don't show up until after 11 pm. Street is relatively quiet during WAC hours.

3. Pay parking isn't desirable, but it also isn't that uncommon for downtown areas. Bentonville may very well follow suit once their parking decks are completed.

This has been discussed many times on this site but it still deserves to be mentioned again. An improved public transit system is badly needed if NWA is to realize it's potential. I think it is unlikely that light rail will ever happen but a bus system that serves the main NWA corridor is possible. ORT overreached and used very poor judgement when they tried to expand their system but that doesn't mean the need went away. A better planned push for an ORT expansion or a completely new approach needs to be explored.

I know this is crazy but I'd love to see a trolley route in downtown Fayetteville that would connect the U of A campus to the Square.  Would be really cool to be able to hop on a trolley on a Saturday morning to go to breakfast on Dickson, then to the Farmer's Market.  Or to take a trolley from the square to campus on game days.  Would certainly add to the flavor downtown of Fayetteville. 

I love the idea of a Trolley connecting the downtown area. Being able to ride from The Square to Dickson would be wonderful. I also agree with Whistle-Stop about a redevelopment of North College.

I really don't get why there are so many people that have such an issue with paid parking in the downtown area. I haven't lived in a city (large or small) without having to pay for parking in the downtown areas. If there was a great public transportation option that would allow people to park further away and be taken to Dickson I'm sure a lot of people would like that (i.e. trolley, shuttle, bus). I know that I would use it.

When I lived in Houston there was a jitney shuttle called the Washington Wave that would pick up customers from designated parking lots, and then shuttle them around to various places on their route. You had the option of paying for a one way ticket, all night access, or monthly membership. I think I remember it being $5 for one way and $10 for an all night access. If the city did this here or a private business I think it would go over well. If they could get the rates lower than what the WW offered for this area. A trolley would be much cooler though. :) I love riding them in San Francisco and the streetcars in NOLA.

Archived