Montford Drive

Miesian Corners

16 hours ago, hambone931 said:

Hello walkability!

Walkable from 6pm - 2am, yes.  But those people are driving to/from work, even if it's just to SouthPark area, there will still be more cars on the road from 7am - 6pm.  There isn't much in the way of offices to walk to work over that way (for now).

It's pretty rough traffic at times, but honestly SouthPark is much much worse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Walkable from 6pm - 2am, yes.  But those people are driving to/from work, even if it's just to SouthPark area, there will still be more cars on the road from 7am - 6pm.  There isn't much in the way of offices to walk to work over that way (for now).

It's pretty rough traffic at times, but honestly SouthPark is much much worse.

I disagree. I live in Barclay Downs and the roads around SouthPark are wider and have more lanes.

Park Road between Woodlawn and Selwyn is basically two narrow lanes each way with many short-distance cut-ins and soon to be many more. People haven't even started moving into 5115 Park Place yet. Soon the replacement for the Abbey Apts. will be out of the ground. Grubb got his rezoning. Now this request, aieee!

There are probably more cars around SouthPark but they can move more easily.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

I disagree. I live in Barclay Downs and the roads around SouthPark are wider and have more lanes.

Park Road between Woodlawn and Selwyn is basically two narrow lanes each way with many short-distance cut-ins and soon to be many more. People haven't even started moving into 5115 Park Place yet. Soon the replacement for the Abbey Apts. will be out of the ground. Grubb got his rezoning. Now this request, aieee!

There are probably more cars around SouthPark but they can move more easily.

You know, actually my perspective is probably off.  I work off Barclay and when I go up to Brawleys or something up there after work, I am going against traffic on Park so I don't find it too bad.

I wouldn't ever say cars move around SouthPark more easily though! I work 7-4 just so I can beat the clusterfudge of traffic.  I once ran from Carnegie Blvd to Cotswold Elementary (where my kid was at school) at rush hour and it only took me 8 minutes longer than it took me to drive it every day at 4pm! That's nuts!  Thank goodness we switched schools and now do a bus pickup at the Rite Aid on Barclay!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Also lots of chatter online about the access from the stop light at the shopping center entrance/exit at Michaels crossing to the Total Wine development and the many food options there. Heather Lane at Park Road (Firestone) and the major Woodlawn/Park intersections have pedestrian lights, crosswalks and pedestrian push buttons for crossing. The Michaels exit has none and there are many right on red vehicles and lots of other intererence that makes crossing intimidating.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

I went to BonChon Korean chicken in ParkTown station on Woodlawn last week:  nothing. No sign of work inside. There is a permit posted but this place was announced in January and still nothing imminent.

That's strange.  I am super classy and go to that Sport Clips down there :) and on Friday when I went the doors to BonChon were open with work visibly going on.

Re: the traffic issue, should we not just leave the roads as is?  Let pedestrian traffic take precedent.  On the other side of things, Charlotte needs to come up with a traffic pattern resource outlining the "preferred" corridors for getting from point A to point B.  There is no point in taking Selwyn into Uptown.  Getting that information out to the public, i.e., informing everyone of average time to and from specific points of interest, seems like it would be very beneficial in so many ways.  Just a thought. 

Edited by alb1no panther

People take Selwyn to avoid Holy Trinity Catholic Middle School in the AM. Minivans line up in the left lane of inbound Park Rd., usually 10-20 cars deep and wait to turn left. This leaves inbound traffic with just one lane and you have a traffic cop managing exits from the Middle School and they tend to give preference to the school traffic over inbound office traffic. You can easily wait 10 minutes.

Selwyn doesn't have any school traffic stops and less lights in bound, hence people go that way. Net-net both routes are about 5.5 miles to the center of Uptown.

Edited by CLT2014

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, QClifer said:

Does anybody know what is going to be built between Halstead and Drexmore on Woodlawn?   I see a developer purchased about 8 houses along Woodlawn and they are going to be demolished. I'm guessing townhouses. I don't remember hearing of any plans. 

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/001-016/2016-013 site plan 3rd rev.pdf

I am seeing this type of site plan more and more... two rows of single loaded townhomes with a private drive on the middle. The front row faces the main street and the back faces the  drive.  Then the second row "faces" the rear on one side and the drive on the other... I am not a big fan of this layout, but I think the regs are pushing developers toward this.  How should this be handled? 

Edited by archiham04

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2016 at 1:31 PM, tozmervo said:

Seven SFHs turning into 48 townhomes, almost 7x the density. Ladies and gentlemen, urban infill.

It would be nice if CATS bus route 30 ran more frequently than every 45 minutes. This will essentially be a car dependent development for commuting to work, with people that walk to nightlife on the weekends. It wouldn't have a bad transit link - route 30 runs to Scaleybark station and to SouthPark and would cover two major commuting routes via transit, but with 45 minute gaps this will be as car dependent for commuting as Ballantyne. Route 19 is a bit better at 20 minutes per bus.

• Like 1