Montford Drive

Miesian Corners

Gas stations in high price episodes like this one do not make more money regardless of what people think.  They are being charged higher prices each load.  Higher prices also affect sales inside the stores.  The reason QuikTrip and others like it that have nice inside stores with prepared food are doing better because that is where they are making their money.  It is not off the gas that is just want pulls one into their stores.  What we are seeing across Charlotte nicer C-stores with gas are outselling the old style gas stations and that is what you see as closing.  Plus now the grocery stores like Harris Teeter, Lowes Food are all in the gas game.  Of course all the big box warehouse stores sell gas too not to make money but to draw people to their mega warehouse stores more frequently.   I would look for a net loss of gas stations in the county in the next 5 years.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 1:00 PM, tarhoosier said:

There may be a Park Road thread but I will take this one. Out for gas yesterday at Park and Woodlawn and the gas station/C store, not next to the Chick-fil-a but catty-corner is closed and windows covered, maybe plywood. Pump nozzles with sleeves and yellow chain at entry. This looks more than a rebrand. Is it disappearing for other use?

Also, and if so, there have been several gas stations lost in the Tryon to Selwyn (roughly) corridor over the past few years and only the QT at South and Clanton to take their place. 

Drove past the intersection today and there is equipment large enough to remove anything on the site. Likely a bank branch? (makes gagging motion)

Edited by tarhoosier

15 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Drove past the intersection today and there is equipment large enough to remove anything on the site. Likely a bank branch? (makes gagging motion)

What is happening at the former Melrose Place site next door? It was a dormant site the last time I drove by. Does this Mobil/Circle K have any connection?

2 hours ago, theronhobbs said:

Interesting. Thanks! Found this collateral below.

I have a relative who lives in Franciscan Terrace on Hedgemore, and she's growing increasingly worried that her condo development's days are numbered, given all the recent infill and renovation projects along Hedgemore and Mockingbird.

image-asset.thumb.jpeg.6e56f361337936e6466e76c60b21fba1.jpeg

Hello new cuthrough 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

@theronhobbs Franciscan Terrace that I know is off Selwyn and is different than the Hedgemore apartments on the dead end which I think you are thinking of. Hedgemore apartments are reached from Park Road.

Franciscan Terrace is 4735 Hedgemore Drive, unless there's more than one section that I'm not aware of. There's a sign at the end of Hedgemore (2nd photo).

040722_2.thumb.jpg.ca544d02f3757b3cee686743f52481e9.jpg

040722_1.thumb.jpg.b0e5a317befe95e36418ab95578ef6e8.jpg

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

You are right and I am wrong. My memory switched Franciscan to Matador Lane which is on the other side of that stream. My sister lived in Franciscan Terrace when she moved to Charlotte and still I made the mistake!

Franciscan, Matadors.

No worries. On a related note, if density continues to accelerate in the area, I wonder if the city would ever entertain extending Hedgemore to Seneca, which has a traffic signal. Then you'd have multiple developable parcels. Even though Franciscan Terrace is condos, there's precedent for this nearby at Trianon in SouthPark. I'm probably describing a rezoning petition a few years from now.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The mystery of the demolished gas station was finally solved by Axios this morning..

Chipotle will open a new restaurant next year at 4336 Park Rd., in a former gas station spot across the street from Park Road Shopping Center. 

• The restaurant will have a “Chipotlane” drive-thru pickup lane, a Chipotle spokesperson tells Axios.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 8

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, drove by this morning and they've already gotten started on chopping up the concrete slabs. I'm just glad to see movement here.  It kinda annoys me when a building is razed and then nothing happens.  I'd rather look at a less than stellar building than an empty lot with three foot tall weeds that just gathers garbage.

• Like 2