Orlando Olympic Bid

prahaboheme

Could Orlando host the 2024 Olympics?

Orlando is one of 35 U.S. cities currently being evaluated by the U.S. Olympic Committee as a potential site for the 2024 Olympic Games, Local 6 reports.

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer received a letter from the USOC saying the committee “would like to begin having discussions with interested cities about possible bid themes,” according to Local 6.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2013/02/could-orlando-host-the-2024-olympics.html

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a little surprised this hasn't generated any conversation here.  What do you all think about an Orlando Olympic bid?  Is it plausible?  Is Orlando a contender?

Hypothetically speaking, if Orlando were chosen to host the event, where would the Village and Park be located?

A few options:

1) The Creative Village could build out as the Olympic Village and be retrofitted after the games

2) Olympic Park could center on Church Street from Amway to the East and Citrus Bowl to the West.  This would require major demolition and redevelopment, as this isn't a white blank page, so that may not be possible.

3) Attractions Area:  I-Drive / Convention Center (this would have been a better option if HSR weren't nixed)

Transportation would be a major issue.  Orlando simply doesn't have the transit infrastructure in place to host the games.  SunRail isn't going to solve this problem, either.    Typically a major heavy rail (or even lightrail) would be needed to wisp travelers from the airport to the Olympic area.

Venues:  Orlando could do well in this area.  Between Amway, a potential soccer stadium, Disney WWOS, a lot of options are already in place.  The cycling events could navigate through some of our natural parks such as Wekiva and come down through the urban core.  Rowing events could utilize the major lakes - Lake Apopka or Toho; canoeing and kayaking can use the rivers or swamps (this could be really neat);  Volleyball could setup a makeshift court in downtown Orlando similar to what London created (in Piccadilly, I think); golf -- we have that covered, BayHill; baseball and softball at an expanded Wide World of Sports stadium; and so on..

While I honestly do not think this could ever happen here, I think it is fun to dream big.  Tell me what you think!

I am a little surprised this hasn't generated any conversation here.  What do you all think about an Orlando Olympic bid?  Is it plausible?  Is Orlando a contender?

Hypothetically speaking, if Orlando were chosen to host the event, where would the Village and Park be located?

A few options:

1) The Creative Village could build out as the Olympic Village and be retrofitted after the games

2) Olympic Park could center on Church Street from Amway to the East and Citrus Bowl to the West.  This would require major demolition and redevelopment, as this isn't a white blank page, so that may not be possible.

3) Attractions Area:  I-Drive / Convention Center (this would have been a better option if HSR weren't nixed)

Transportation would be a major issue.  Orlando simply doesn't have the transit infrastructure in place to host the games.  SunRail isn't going to solve this problem, either.    Typically a major heavy rail (or even lightrail) would be needed to wisp travelers from the airport to the Olympic area.

Venues:  Orlando could do well in this area.  Between Amway, a potential soccer stadium, Disney WWOS, a lot of options are already in place.  The cycling events could navigate through some of our natural parks such as Wekiva and come down through the urban core.  Rowing events could utilize the major lakes - Lake Apopka or Toho; canoeing and kayaking can use the rivers or swamps (this could be really neat);  Volleyball could setup a makeshift court in downtown Orlando similar to what London created (in Piccadilly, I think); golf -- we have that covered, BayHill; baseball and softball at an expanded Wide World of Sports stadium; and so on..

While I honestly do not think this could ever happen here, I think it is fun to dream big.  Tell me what you think!

I think its plausible. With another permanent venue and lots of public space, Orlando's going to have a lot of potential locations. The transportation would even be reasonable if all 3 rail systems are completed (and a plan to get the airport transit center connected directly to downtown with some rail system). Orlando already has tons of hotel rooms and lots of infrastructure in place or planned to come online in the next few years, and if the active proposals get completed, I don't think it would be really behind other places that have hosted it.

During the State of the City address yesterday, Dyer announced that the city was approached by the Olympic Committee as a potential site for a future US bid. He stopped short of stating that Orlando would pursue a bid.

Dyer also announced that he will not run for Governor as he has unfinished business here. For a man that we all know dreams big, and who loves the big ticket project, what could possibly be keeping him from the Governor's seat and from fulfilling his political aspirations? Is an Olympic bid in the works?

During the State of the City address yesterday, Dyer announced that the city was approached by the Olympic Committee as a potential site for a future US bid. He stopped short of stating that Orlando would pursue a bid.

Dyer also announced that he will not run for Governor as he has unfinished business here. For a man that we all know dreams big, and who loves the big ticket project, what could possibly be keeping him from the Governor's seat and from fulfilling his political aspirations? Is an Olympic bid in the works?

Buddy ran for Attorney General in 2002 and lost to Charlie Crist, so he's seen that movie before and doesn't wish to repeat it (his consolation prize was the opening for mayor which popped up two months later with Glenda's resignation.) As to the Olympics,  invitations to bid went to a number of cities including Jacksonville, so it's hardly an exclusive club. It's more the USOC finding out who's willing to pony up the money at this point.

While Orlando has done an awful lot as a second-tier city in terms of diversity, when it gets to the IOC making the pick, I truly believe Miami will come before Orlando. Our time will come but we're not there yet. Let's finally agree to do the work to get one of the political conventions first (we've turned down both parties on numerous occasions,) and beef up the transportation infrastructure we'll need before we think about the Olympics. We also will have opportunities to display credibility with things like the Gay Games, the Pan American Games, etc. The honchos at the IOC pooh-poohed Atlanta (it took Coke, Ted Turner, Andrew Young, Jimmy Carter, and a host of power players we don't have to get them over that hurdle) and aren't about to consider a much lesser-entity like Orlando until we burnish our image among the international elites. 

Buddy ran for Attorney General in 2002 and lost to Charlie Crist, so he's seen that movie before and doesn't wish to repeat it (his consolation prize was the opening for mayor which popped up two months later with Glenda's resignation.) As to the Olympics,  invitations to bid went to a number of cities including Jacksonville, so it's hardly an exclusive club. It's more the USOC finding out who's willing to pony up the money at this point.

While Orlando has done an awful lot as a second-tier city in terms of diversity, when it gets to the IOC making the pick, I truly believe Miami will come before Orlando. Our time will come but we're not there yet. Let's finally agree to do the work to get one of the political conventions first (we've turned down both parties on numerous occasions,) and beef up the transportation infrastructure we'll need before we think about the Olympics. We also will have opportunities to display credibility with things like the Gay Games, the Pan American Games, etc. The honchos at the IOC pooh-poohed Atlanta (it took Coke, Ted Turner, Andrew Young, Jimmy Carter, and a host of power players we don't have to get them over that hurdle) and aren't about to consider a much lesser-entity like Orlando until we burnish our image among the international elites. 

I agree that this talk is much-ado about nothing. It's a preliminary exploration in which a lot of U.S. cities are participating; hardly a guarantee for even an Olympic bid, let alone an award from the IOC to actually host the games.

That being said, I do find it interesting that Orlando appears to have eclipsed the Tampa Bay area in terms of being perceived as Florida's second most important metro (behind Miami/South Florida). The perception is that Orlando is working on infrastructure, public transportation and big municipal projects, while Tampa Bay is not. The perception is also that Orlando is a more tolerant, welcoming and diverse metro than Tampa Bay.

Perception has a way of shaping reality.

I agree that this talk is much-ado about nothing. It's a preliminary exploration in which a lot of U.S. cities are participating; hardly a guarantee for even an Olympic bid, let alone an award from the IOC to actually host the games.

That being said, I do find it interesting that Orlando appears to have eclipsed the Tampa Bay area in terms of being perceived as Florida's second most important metro (behind Miami/South Florida). The perception is that Orlando is working on infrastructure, public transportation and big municipal projects, while Tampa Bay is not. The perception is also that Orlando is a more tolerant, welcoming and diverse metro than Tampa Bay.

Well, compared to the Tampa Bay area, is that not true?

I agree and believe it happened thanks to these reasons among others:

(1) The California connection: Our two largest employers brought their California state of mind with them.

(2) Orlando is a bunch of whipper-snappers: Compared to much of Florida, we're just a bunch of kids. Our lower retiree rate allows politicians to avoid some of the right's anti-progressive stances.

(3) We're San Juan North: The Puerto Rican influx into the region, which began to accelerate significantly in the 1990's, changed the politics of Orange, Osceola and Volusia counties. In a remarkably short period of time, a county that had voted for Goldwater became reliably blue. 

(4) Orlando still drives the region: Not very long ago, that was supposed to have shifted to "Orange County" driving the region, but Buddy Dyer has managed to cement the mayor of Orlando's historic role as the city's chief voice despite the attempt to amplify the OC Commission's power with a move toward strong-mayor government. Tampa Bay still can't get together with such a diffuse power base at both ends of the Howard Frankenstein.

A thought I hope to explore here in the months to come: I have always opposed consolidation of Orlando/Orange County government because OC was still too Republican to enjoy the progress the City always has. As we saw in the 2012 election, the tide has changed and we won't be going back. With almost all of the county officials elected countywide now being center/left (Teresa being the big exception, and that happened for some very specific reasons unlikely to be repeated after her performance thus far), it may be time to revisit the idea. Counties in Florida enjoy much more power than cities and it's intriguing to consider what Buddy, now that he's sticking around, might do with 1 million constituents rather than just a quarter million.

Could Orlando host the 2024 Olympics?

Orlando is one of 35 U.S. cities currently being evaluated by the U.S. Olympic Committee as a potential site for the 2024 Olympic Games, Local 6 reports.

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer received a letter from the USOC saying the committee “would like to begin having discussions with interested cities about possible bid themes,” according to Local 6.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2013/02/could-orlando-host-the-2024-olympics.html

That could be awesome, I just think that the climate is a tough for a summer olympics. Rarely are they in subtropical climates. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That could be awesome, I just think that the climate is a tough for a summer olympics. Rarely are they in subtropical climates. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I highly doubt Orlando's weather would have to do with the reason we don't get picked. A quick googling brings up the fact that 2014's *winter* olympics is in an area that does not seem to be ideal weather for the winter games, with more of a subtropical climate

http://www.latinabroad.com/2012/09/24/sochi-russia-weather-beach-photos/

It also doesn't seem to have had any pre-existing transportation system of the needed quality or many other requirements you would think of. I'd say Orlando is better equipped then some other places that have hosted in the past, and it would do well here.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived