Bush in GR

Rizzo

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minus the political debate, I found this to be interesting:

Bush only speaks at usually 2 ceremonies a year, he pics a small liberal-arts college in GR to do it.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050521/ts_nm/bush_religion_dc

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont think GR is as Pro-GOP as the GOP wants to believe, and honestly, its a good sign for Grand Rapids that there was people there who disagree with Bush, even at a small Calvinist liberal arts school.

Regardless of politics, having the President of the United States here is an honor. It also brings national attention to Grand Rapids because Calvin is only one of two graduation ceremonies he will speak at this year.

I dont think GR is as Pro-GOP as the GOP wants to believe, and honestly, its a good sign for Grand Rapids that there was people there who disagree with Bush, even at a small Calvinist liberal arts school.

Give me a break, a college is a college.

75% of the faculty at Calvin probably identify themselves as liberal. Most people that teach do, being religious does not preclude this - not that you even have to be religious to teach there.

Whatever the case, you will always find people that disagree with someone. The press is always looking to bash Bush, and a few professors beotching at a small religious college is prime.

superNOVA, WOOD TV's Rick Albin had stated Saturday, that it was far more conservative then liberal.

The Grand Rapids Press is hardly a Bush bashing paper, remember, they officially supported him back in '04... This reafirms the notion that GR needs a FREE PRESS, one void of onesided politics.

superNOVA, WOOD TV's Rick Albin had stated Saturday, that it was far more conservative then liberal.

The Grand Rapids Press is hardly a Bush bashing paper, remember, they officially supported him back in '04... This reafirms the notion that GR needs a FREE PRESS, one void of onesided politics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A few attempts have been made over the years to bring some sort of alternative news outlet to the GR public. One of the most recent was the now vanished "The Paper" news weekly. What hurt that attempt was the fact that it became too political and devoted almost every issue to bashing Bush, and the GOP. It's not enough to just be a left leaning version of the Press, it is about having a professional publication that will sell copies. And in the world of shrinking circulation, I dont think that is in the cards.

What is more likely are outlets like the internet or even podcasting being used as a counter balance to whatever is the dominant media outlet in a particular city. An example in the case of GR is a site that I heard advertised on the radio called "The Local Area Watch". (www.localareawatch.org) While not perfect, it is an example of a non GR Press entity that is covering local city issues without the filter the Press uses.

I am going to get berated for what i'm about to say, oh well, here goes. I don't think the Grand Rapids Press is nearly as right leaning as it has been touted. I guess it all depends on who you are. The scary neo-cons would complain that it's much much to liberal, while I'm sure that the leftists would say that it's an old fashioned yellow journal catering to the red nature of the area. From what I see the GR Press is much more moderate than it gets credit for. Now i'm not saying it's "objective and balanced" like fox news claims to be, but from what I have seen and read over the past ten years of living in Grand Rapids Is a split paper on issues. I know that the editor of the press, Mike Lloyd is a democrat. I don't remember the Press endorsing Bush, but i probabally just didn't pay attention. I very clearly remember it coming out in oppositions of the gay marriage amendment, saying it was far to extreme, and liimiting. Correct me if i'm wrong but that's a fairly "liberal" stance to take isnt it?

In terms of media, the GR Press is pretty much as close to the middle as possible. Sure, they might be a bit right leaning, but they still do have to write for a community that is seen as the conservative bastion of the upper Midwest. In terms of endorsements, they are made by the board, which is usually quite different from the reporters (if you can call them that) and the editors.

The fact of the matter is, in America, some 80% of media types identify themselves as either liberal or far left. Which is accurate considering that since Vietnam, about as many papers typically endorse the furthest left candidate.

What irritates me is why they even endorse. The whole practive smells of bias and subjective reporting. If they were truely objective, and un-biased, you would see no reference to whom the board would like to see elected. But, there are those that believe the pen in mightier than the sword, and in some ways they are right - at least they have the right because the sword gave it to them.

• 2 weeks later...

"75% of the faculty at Calvin probably identify themselves as liberal. Most people that teach do, being religious does not preclude this - not that you even have to be religious to teach there." --SuperNOVA

Actuall, SuperNOVA, you really do need to be religious to teach at Calvin. They won't hire you if you're not. And with very few exceptions (I think there may be one or two on the entire faculty whose spouses are ministers in a non CRC church) they make professors send their kids to GR Christian schools.

I found this on Calvin's web site:

"Calvin College, as a liberal arts institution in the Reformed tradition of historic Christianity, attempts to be an agent of renewal in the academy, church and society. The faculty of Calvin pledge fidelity to Jesus Christ, offering their hearts and lives to do God's work in God's world."

Pledging fidelity to Jesus sounds pretty religious to me.

Hello, GR Urbanist.

As the executive director of the Local Area Watch, I want to thank you for the mention.

As for your doubts about alternative dead-tree media in G.R., it can succeed if it doesn't make the mistake the defunct "The Paper" did. It got too wrapped up with national politics, while here in town it was reluctant to name names when it came to genuine malfeasance (as opposed to political differences). Another problem I have found with a lot of "alternative" media is an ignorance about business, finance, and economic matters, which leads them to miss what really stinks in a crooked deal.

Regards, Bill

Welcome to the forum Bill. It'll be nice to get your perspective on issues.

Joe

Hello, GR Urbanist.

As the executive director of the Local Area Watch, I want to thank you for the mention.

As for your doubts about alternative dead-tree media in G.R., it can succeed if it doesn't make the mistake the defunct "The Paper" did.  It got too wrapped up with national politics, while here in town it was reluctant to name names when it came to genuine malfeasance (as opposed to political differences).  Another problem I have found with a lot of "alternative" media is an ignorance about business, finance, and economic matters, which leads them to miss what really stinks in a crooked deal.

Regards, Bill

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived