Altera

gman430

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they will tear part of the forest down to build green living...yea, thats much more green than say building it within town and preventing urban sprawl.

/sarcasm

I agree, this is BS. I understand how constructing a 'green' building in an urban area is helpful for our planet, but tearing down trees for this defeats whatever purpose they think they're shooting for. And I still don't quite see where this is. In the State Park? Right next to the park? 

I agree, this is BS. I understand how constructing a 'green' building in an urban area is helpful for our planet, but tearing down trees for this defeats whatever purpose they think they're shooting for.

True.

Did Altera perhaps hire the Bilo Center manager....you know, Mister "lets cut them there mature trees down so all the rednecks coming to this concert can see the stage"?

This is pretty much the worst idea ever.

Paris Mountain is barely even a forested mountain anymore. It looks like a subdivision on a hill.

The problem is if this doesn't get approved then a 70+ home subdivision will get built on site instead. Screwed either way it seems.

• 4 weeks later...

I can see denying this if someone were waiting in the wings to purchase this land for preservation. However, it will serve them right if someone comes in and builds a terrible development that is currently allowed under its zoning... Maybe they'll surprise us. Doubt it, Greenville County.

This topic finally convinced me to register for this forum.  The question to the group is whether it is better to have more sprawling homes removing acres of trees from Paris Mountain or a planned, ecologically friendly development that is attractive and a "signature" piece for the mountain.  I enjoy day hiking at Paris Mountain and appreciate the natural beauty.  Everyone seems to look at this as a decision between natural forest land and development.  The issue, however, is between neighborhood clear-cutting and what (as now proposed) would be a more environmentally sensitive development.  Every time I am at Furman for a football game, I look up to the clear cut lots with overhanging homes on Paris Mountain.  Though I loved the view of an un-touched mountain before hand, I would certainly not prefer these homes to a signature, bitmore-esqe condominium development. 

This topic finally convinced me to register for this forum.  The question to the group is whether it is better to have more sprawling homes removing acres of trees from Paris Mountain or a planned, ecologically friendly development that is attractive and a "signature" piece for the mountain.  I enjoy day hiking at Paris Mountain and appreciate the natural beauty.  Everyone seems to look at this as a decision between natural forest land and development.  The issue, however, is between neighborhood clear-cutting and what (as now proposed) would be a more environmentally sensitive development.  Every time I am at Furman for a football game, I look up to the clear cut lots with overhanging homes on Paris Mountain.  Though I loved the view of an un-touched mountain before hand, I would certainly not prefer these homes to a signature, bitmore-esqe condominium development. 

Hint: You shouldn't use the term "signature" multiple times in your post. A dead giveaway you may be involved with the development.

I hope this development is stopped.

Wow.  Didn't expect that reply.  I was hoping to start a discussion about this issue and the pros and cons of a neighborhood being built at the location versus a "condo" style property.  I can assure you that I'm not affiliated with these folks, but do live off Augusta and follow this forum. 

Wow.  Didn't expect that reply.  I was hoping to start a discussion about this issue and the pros and cons of a neighborhood being built at the location versus a "condo" style property.  I can assure you that I'm not affiliated with these folks, but do live off Augusta and follow this forum. 

My apology to you.

There is a history here of developers using this forum in strange ways....to promote their development....pan other developments....etc. Your use of "signature" multiple times sounded fishy. Again, my apologies.

As regards the development....it looks too contrived.....too "McMansion", IMO. If if was seriously a more organic, earth friendly development, I may be for it. As is, just seems like more suburban clutter, taking up a nice spot on the mountain.

Well of course it would be more environmentally (and probably visually) acceptable than a sprawling neighborhood, but we shouldn't have to hope for the better of two bad ideas...

Well of course it would be more environmentally (and probably visually) acceptable than a sprawling neighborhood, but we shouldn't have to hope for the better of two bad ideas...

Unfortunately, the "sprawling neighborhood" has already been approved. which IMHO makes this "more environmentally (and probably visually) acceptable" plan all the more attractive.  “The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously.” (Henry Kissinger)

Archived