Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

The tower def makes more sense at Church/Stonewall than at Tryon, given that Duke Energy Tower and Tryon Place would be immediately across the streets at Tryon corner, really blocking views.

Having low/mid rise retail, and then a hotel or residential tower at Hill/Tryon would make much more sense.

Thought on tenant.....Piedmont Natural Gas is currently a tenant at Piedmont Row, which is leased by Lincoln Harris.  Duke Energy is obviously kicking tires on Tryon Place, which means they are thinking of expanding.  Duke is also buying PNG.  Duke also pledged to keep 1,000 corporate jobs in Raleigh through 2017 as part of it's NC regulatory approval for its purchase of Progress Energy.....This is "more adjacent" to existing Duke campus.....seems reasonable to thinking Duke could be anchor driving this.

Note sure what I think about a "pyramid"....sounds awful late 1980's early 1990's.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

The tower def makes more sense at Church/Stonewall than at Tryon, given that Duke Energy Tower and Tryon Place would be immediately across the streets at Tryon corner, really blocking views.

Having low/mid rise retail, and then a hotel or residential tower at Hill/Tryon would make much more sense.

Thought on tenant.....Piedmont Natural Gas is currently a tenant at Piedmont Row, which is leased by Lincoln Harris.  Duke Energy is obviously kicking tires on Tryon Place, which means they are thinking of expanding.  Duke is also buying PNG.  Duke also pledged to keep 1,000 corporate jobs in Raleigh through 2017 as part of it's NC regulatory approval for its purchase of Progress Energy.....This is "more adjacent" to existing Duke campus.....seems reasonable to thinking Duke could be anchor driving this.

Note sure what I think about a "pyramid"....sounds awful late 1980's early 1990's.

Totally agree with your thinking here. When we were discussing Duke with Tryon place, it's possible they were really looking here instead. Makes total sense. Especially because they can then sell their old building 

2 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Think about it this way. Raleigh Observer sight dev is gunning for 40 stories. You would think the one in Charlotte would be at least that many floors. I am feeling like Charlotte gets 70 stories!!! lol

Lol your logic would make sense if we didn't already have a 60 story building ;)

I think what atlrvr said above makes a lot of sense, which is nothing new, especially since Duke was snooping around for some additional office space uptown. Piedmont Natural Gas would be a good fit once they become a part of Duke. Especially since an office tower here (if true) would be just across the street. Also, one thing to note is that HKS has done a lot with sports stadiums over the years, most recently the brand new Minnesota Vikings stadium which opens this season. I also believe they are behind the new LA Rams stadium complex, which is huge. So perhaps there is some element to this project, outside of the office portion, that will be tied to the Panthers. But that's total speculation by me. 

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Especially because they can then sell their old building 

Any thoughts on what would happen to the old building when sold?   It's massive but ugly and takes up a super block.  

Would a tower on the S. Mint side make sense?  Would a complete gut and reskin be viable?   Could someone accidentally demolish it?  

Duke Energy leases about 400,000 plus square feet of space in 400 South Tryon building (white old old Wachovia tower). I heard long ago as the lease expires they want to move out. They have already started a 160,000 sq ft building in University Research Park on Research Dr for some of those employees. It does make sense that some of those jobs will remain in uptown and if you add in a consolidation of space with Piedmont Natural Gas you get a big anchor tenant. I have repeatedly said the tenants for these new towers are already in the market.  New to market tenants usually don't anchor a new high rise.  Add in LIncoln Harris managing the space in Piedmont Town Center it makes it more likely in my opinion. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Duke Energy leases about 400,000 plus square feet of space in 400 South Tryon building (white old old Wachovia tower). I heard long ago as the lease expires they want to move out. They have already started a 160,000 sq ft building in University Research Park on Research Dr for some of those employees. It does make sense that some of those jobs will remain in uptown and if you add in a consolidation of space with Piedmont Natural Gas you get a big anchor tenant. I have repeatedly said the tenants for these new towers are already in the market.  New to market tenants usually don't anchor a new high rise.  Add in LIncoln Harris managing the space in Piedmont Town Center it makes it more likely in my opinion. 

I went to a interview with basically the people that answer to the CEO's and they wanted to move me into 400 south tryon. So i'm highly certain they are renewing their lease. 

edit: wrong building. 

8 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Really hoping the retail portion is spot on. Hopefully more info starts trickling out

That's what Charlotte is lacking to become a self sustaining city. with retail, uptown residents wont need to go to the burbs anymore to shop. 

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 1

Duke Energy leases almost 500,000 sq ft in 400 South Tryon and their lease expires in 2019 for over 300K according to this article in the Business Journal from 2013. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/07/duke-energy-keeping-space-at-400-south.html   They do have 160,000 sq ft underway in the Univ. Research Park. I would say 3 years is more than enough time to construct their new low rise in University area and if someone like Lincoln Harris wanted to build a tower downtown. And maybe they are going to renew this space but right now is the time they would be exploring options. I also know someone who works there in that building and says her office is way outdated.  Very interesting indeed and maybe for cost savings it would make sense to have Piedmont Natural Gas at least the top people downtown somewhere. It is all very intriguing indeed. 

• Like 1

Bookkeeping item from an internal memo:

West side portion of sidewalk of South Tryon Street and the right eastbound lane of West Stonewall Street between South Church Street and South Tryon Street will close on Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 7 a.m. and will re-open on Monday, October 31, 2016 at 4 p.m. This closure is necessary for the demolition project of the old Charlotte Observer site. Pedestrian traffic will be shifted to the north side portion of sidewalk of West Stonewall Street.

9 minutes ago, grodney said:

Bookkeeping item from an internal memo:

West side portion of sidewalk of South Tryon Street and the right eastbound lane of West Stonewall Street between South Church Street and South Tryon Street will close on Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 7 a.m. and will re-open on Monday, October 31, 2016 at 4 p.m. This closure is necessary for the demolition project of the old Charlotte Observer site. Pedestrian traffic will be shifted to the north side portion of sidewalk of West Stonewall Street.

Beat me to it! But yeah I'm curious how long it'll take to bring the actual building down. My guess is a week or so and then the rest of the time is spent site clearing

It's hard to see through the fencing but it looked to me that the old observer front pages were still sitting in the wall along church. If they demo that it's a damn shame. I would be thinking of putting them in the lobby of my new condo building and calling it observer towers or something. Can we have no sense of history?

• Like 4