Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

17 hours ago, sclark said:

Actually the article says the LHGS tower to be on the corner of Tryon and Stonewall.  I thought we discussed Church and Stonewall?

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think the address is 620 South Tryon according to permits but will be at that corner of Church and Stonewall from what others have posted. 

Correct. It's likely the garage egress and stuff will be on Tryon. This gives the building a Tryon address while reserving the valuable Tryon frontage for something else. 

I highly doubt the egress and stuff will be on Tryon, the City has put too much effort in streetscape improvements on Tryon Street the past 20 or so years to allow this.  It's more likely the ingress/egress will be on Stonewall and/or Hill Street. I'm in charge of assigning addresses in the City I work in and it should be pretty easy to give this building a Tryon Street address without having their ingress/egress on Tryon or their actually building facing Tryon.  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

another photo of the rubble from this weekend my friend took it. Unbelievable how quick it came down. This could be a  metaphor for Charlotte rising from the rubble but that may be stretching it. 

IMG_9724.jpg

I bet we see at least one meme on Facebook about the protesters causing this destruction.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Ok... How is this thread so quiet? 

One of Lincoln Harris' other sites in the region is due for some big news in the next week. Hopefully this site follows suit.

Just now, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Sounds great. Have they begun demolition on the sheet metal shop?

I know permits were issued. Unfortunately I only get to Charlotte a couple times a year so I don't know about the demo status.

• 2 weeks later...

So everything that's already been said, with the exception of the height? I thought this building was meant to be 603ft or there about? 

No offence 49er, but you've just seemed to have summerised everything that has been already mentioned.  

Edited by CLT704

3 minutes ago, 49er said:

Some stuff trickling in on this. I don't know how building height is officially measured but this one looks to be only a few dozen feet shorter than Duke Energy to the very tip of the Louvre that is sitting on top and definitely over 700'. The tower is connected to Tryon via a Hearst Plaza type of open space flanked by future development so that explains how it fronts on Church. It kind of sits in the middle of the back of the block. The pyramid looks very detailed and nicer than a lot of recent building crowns in Charlotte. I wonder if it is just for mechanicals or is some kind of occupiable space?  The rest of the building looks like New York meets Southpark because Lincoln Harris.  

What i've seen of the elevation has it at 603. But there are some unclear parts that could lead someone to believe it was closer to 700. I stand by 603 feet. Hope I'm wrong.

44 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

So everything that's already been said, with the exception of the height? I thought this building was meant to be 603ft or there about? 

No offence 49er, but you've just seemed to have summerised everything that has been already mentioned.  

No offense taken but seriously if you don't like urban planning gossip head over to the CO - they'll have an article about this eventually. 

I stand corrected on height - closer to 650' and 34 floors. It appears to have gained a few floors hence the slightly taller height. The first number I posted may be measured from the basement - duh. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 49er said:

No offense taken but seriously if you don't like urban planning gossip head over to the CO - they'll have an article about this eventually. 

I stand corrected on height - closer to 650' and 34 floors. It appears to have gained a few floors hence the slightly taller height. The first number I posted may be measured from the basement - duh. 

I love that they added 4 floors since I last saw something. I actually learned new information from your post so I thank you. 655 feet is only 4 feet shorter than Hearst, which will add the ultimate balance to the skyline. For instance I didn't know it was connected to Tryon by a Plaza. 

If Duke is no longer interested in space here then who? (someone said that on UP)  Do they have an anchor tenant since they are rushing to get this one started? Or are they rushing to get it started out of the gate before Crescent's Tryon  Place?  Developers many time are like countries in a arms race and the race is to break ground first or line up anchors. 

• Like 1