Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

image.thumb.png.1cf8628466ae59c2a2fc85bb561b6569.png

This is projection for the site. I havent decided whether i think there will need to be an additional parking deck or not. But I'd imagine the building on the top left would have at least a 500-750 space parking deck.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Cadi40 said:

When do you expect all of this to be done? This makes me a little more excited about the project, especially the 30 floor hotel and the retail space.

Depends on how long the current market conditions continue.  I'd expect we get the 20 floor office, the 30 floor hotel, and the bottom left Residential Tower this Cycle. The Church and Stonewall piece is a gem, and its a big piece, it has most potential of the spaces leftover from Legacy Union #1 and I think they will be picky with it. Full build out by 2022 is my guess.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Depends on how long the current market conditions continue.  I'd expect we get the 20 floor office, the 30 floor hotel, and the bottom left Residential Tower this Cycle. The Church and Stonewall piece is a gem, and its a big piece, it has most potential of the spaces leftover from Legacy Union #1 and I think they will be picky with it. Full build out by 2022 is my guess.

Full built out in 2022 means construction should start soon on the other office tower, hotel & apartments, right?

cant wait for details on the retail portion. 

2 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Full built out in 2022 means construction should start soon on the other office tower, hotel & apartments, right?

cant wait for details on the retail portion. 

Sorry I forgot its almost 2018. Going to change this to 2024.

3 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

But do you believe they will complete the main tower, 16 floor office, the hotel and one of the residential towers by late 2019?

oh heavens no. I couldn't imagine any mentioned would break ground any sooner than late 2018. You underestimate the Approval/Permitting process my friend.

Edited by Guest

oh heavens no. I couldn't imagine any mentioned would break ground any sooner than late 2018. You underestimate the Approval/Permitting process my friend.

See, that’s the thing. It feels like LU#1 materialized overnight though—it went from land purchase to demo to released rendering to construction in what felt like a matter of months (or maybe I’m just remembering wrong.) Or was there THAT much going on behind the scenes that us common folk were just clueless to?

See, that’s the thing. It feels like LU#1 materialized overnight though—it went from land purchase to demo to released rendering to construction in a matter of months (or maybe I’m just remembering wrong.) Or was there THAT much going on behind the scenes that us common folk were just clueless to? 

I think I saw renderings for LU#1 up to a year before it was on this board. 

There was a ton of due diligence, Lincoln Harris was the rumored purchaser for close to 15 months. I’m sure they had advanced talks with Bank of America for a long long time.

As we saw with Tryon Place and Ally, 615 and Regions. Those rumors were around at least 6 months before something stuck and was confirmed.

Edit: Also, after looking at my emails, I did a freedom of information act request to Code Enforcement to try to get the submission documents almost 1.5 years ago, so that shows how long it was with the planning department. This is after I had seen contract bid documents already, and wanted something publicly shareable. I think the plan had 5 revisions (some self imposed)

Edit again: there are two towers with the planning commission right now that have only been hinted at on this board, and have not even been touched by the media. It’s a long process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.thumb.png.1cf8628466ae59c2a2fc85bb561b6569.png

This is projection for the site. I havent decided whether i think there will need to be an additional parking deck or not. But I'd imagine the building on the top left would have at least a 500-750 space parking deck.

I hope that they keep the same general architectural design.  If they built curvy glass towers next to BoA, it would look ridiculous.

I hope that they keep the same general architectural design.  If they built curvy glass towers next to BoA, it would look ridiculous.

I think it’ll look like a city. Skylines are Built off difference. Office parks are built off of similarities. I hope there’s a lot of variety.

56 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think it’ll look like a city. Skylines are Built off difference. Office parks are built off of similarities. I hope there’s a lot of variety.

It seems like the shapes for the future towers depicted in the site plans will be pretty boxy.  With that in mind, I'd rather have a stone box with classical details that a simple glass box.

Anyway, knowing LH's penchant for traditional architecture, how likely is it that they will build a curvy glass tower on this site?

Edited by SydneyCarton

It seems like the shapes for the future towers depicted in the site plans will be pretty boxy.  With that in mind, I'd rather have a stone box with classical details that a simple glass box.

Anyway, knowing LH's penchant for traditional architecture, how likely is it that they will build a curvy glass tower on this site?

Personally I think they will Joint Venture on anything non-office, so they might not control what’s designed necessarily.
The site plan I drew, I didn’t put a whole lot of thought into the shapes of the buildings. They won’t necessarily be boxed. Boxes are the most efficient floor plans, most buildings are a box or a series of boxes with some decoration for the most part.

I wouldn’t mind some variety but I think a super modern building right next to LU will look horrific.

Trademark and Carillon are beside each other, couldn’t look more different. They look awesome beside each other. 3 Wells Fargo and One Wells Fargo couldn’t look more different, they look great beside each other. Asia’s skylines are beautiful menagerie of buildings. Saying two buildings won’t look good beside each other is a argument I’ve never heard before.

Trademark and Carillon are beside each other, couldn’t look more different. They look awesome beside each other. 3 Wells Fargo and One Wells Fargo couldn’t look more different, they look great beside each other. Asia’s skylines are beautiful menagerie of buildings. Saying two buildings won’t look good beside each other is a argument I’ve never heard before.

I concur. Variety is what makes a skyline. IMO uniformity is much more nauseating than severe contrast. That example of Trademark-Carillion is a perfect example. We need more traditional design to contrast all the shiny new glass boxes we’ve gotten lately.

That said, I’d love to see a visually stimulating building with vertical curvature on this end of Uptown. I think the close proximity to the stadium would be the perfect place for something like that to stand out in the skyline, even without being tall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not that they’ll have any say in the matter, but I’ve always wondered if residents in highrises with views into the stadium is ever a concern to the NFL/Panthers. I’d imagine a 35th floor view on Mint st. Could probably see the majority, if not all, of the field.

Not that they’ll have any say in the matter, but I’ve always wondered if residents in highrises with views into the stadium is ever a concern to the NFL/Panthers. I’d imagine a 35th floor view on Mint st. Could probably see the majority, if not all, of the field.

End zone seats are bad enough from the lower bowl, can’t imagine an additional 100ft across the street from the top of the bowl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Personally I think they will Joint Venture on anything non-office, so they might not control what’s designed necessarily.
The site plan I drew, I didn’t put a whole lot of thought into the shapes of the buildings. They won’t necessarily be boxed. Boxes are the most efficient floor plans, most buildings are a box or a series of boxes with some decoration for the most part.

Good point.

The bigger question to me is I wonder how legacy union will affect the stadium’s long term viability. I am hoping the location of the stadium next to brand new development will prevent a new owner from pushing for a new stadium in 10 years. We don’t need to spend $1B+ of tax payer money on a new stadium. Maybe this will make it more viable/attractive to just upgrade the current stadium in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3