Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

11 hours ago, J-Rob said:

The bigger question to me is I wonder how legacy union will affect the stadium’s long term viability. I am hoping the location of the stadium next to brand new development will prevent a new owner from pushing for a new stadium in 10 years. We don’t need to spend $1B+ of tax payer money on a new stadium. Maybe this will make it more viable/attractive to just upgrade the current stadium in the future.

Couldn't agree more. We don't need a taxpayer funded Jerry dome or dirty birds nest when we have a great team owned stadium that has nothing wrong with it whatsoever. 

16 hours ago, J-Rob said:

The bigger question to me is I wonder how legacy union will affect the stadium’s long term viability. I am hoping the location of the stadium next to brand new development will prevent a new owner from pushing for a new stadium in 10 years. We don’t need to spend $1B+ of tax payer money on a new stadium. Maybe this will make it more viable/attractive to just upgrade the current stadium in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The truth is we do need a new stadium or at least a major renovation to the current one. Aside from the fact it’s embarrassing Charlotte still has not hosted a Super Bowl, the newer NFL stadiums are putting ours to shame. 

The truth is we do need a new stadium or at least a major renovation to the current one. Aside from the fact it’s embarrassing Charlotte still has not hosted a Super Bowl, the newer NFL stadiums are putting ours to shame. 

Speak to the massively lacking hospitality industry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I hate the Jonses.

I love sports as much as the next guy(probably more) but our stadium is great. Besides, I said hopefully this will make additional upgrade preferential to complete replacement. At any rate, if some billionaire decides we need a brand new building, if you are willing to pay my portion of the $1.5B+ subsidy to that billionaire, I will take you up on that offer. [emoji57]

• Like 2

While I completely agree with this sentiment, the trend is skewing toward high end stadiums that cater to the wealthy with amenities galore because that's where the money is.  A typical family, or even couple, will spend hundreds of dollars just to go to one game.  Or, they could spend hundreds of dollars on a nice tv and watch with friends from their living room.  With technology as advanced as it is (ultra high def, multiple camera angles, instant replay, interactive web apps) the reason for going to a game years ago no longer exists.  And the NFL knows this, even in a tv ratings slump.  Look at every stadium built since Jerry World, and those either under construction or on the drawing board.  Going to an NFL game is a high luxury good, and this will continue to be the trend for some time.

27 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

There has been more effort in developing the land surrounding the stadium than updating the stadium itself. :rolleyes:

You do realize that the city and the team have put over $150 million into renovations in the past couple years, correct?    I think the stadium could use a couple more upgrades like Hard Rock Stadium in Miami got; however that said the stadium  Is viable as is. And with a few more upgrades it could be a viable venue for 25-30 more years or more.  

There is no need for the city to spend 1,000,000,000+ to build a stadium to replace Bank of America.  It is still a very nice stadium. It is not some tired multipurpose facility that has seen its day come and pass. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Our stadium has nothing to do with the fact that we haven’t hosted a Super Bowl. There’s criteria. Foxborough, and the other northern cities mentioned haven’t hosted a Super Bowl because to non-domes, the average temperature for the city on Super Bowl Sunday has to be 53 degrees (Charlotte meets this at 55 degrees). Charlotte hasn’t hosted because it doesn’t meet the NFL criteria for number of luxury hotels within a certain proximity of the stadium.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hunted said:

Our stadium has nothing to do with the fact that we haven’t hosted a Super Bowl. There’s criteria. Foxborough, and the other northern cities mentioned haven’t hosted a Super Bowl because to non-domes, the average temperature for the city on Super Bowl Sunday has to be 53 degrees (Charlotte meets this at 55 degrees). Charlotte hasn’t hosted because it doesn’t meet the NFL criteria for number of luxury hotels within a certain proximity of the stadium.

Soon we would have met that criteria for number of luxury hotels. I'm for one not sad that the super bowl has not come here, We have plenty of sporting events like ACC, Belk Bowl, And soon the NCAA Championship soon. 

Soon we would have met that criteria for number of luxury hotels. I'm for one not sad that the super bowl has not come here, We have plenty of sporting events like ACC, Belk Bowl, And soon the NCAA Championship soon. 

We are still about 3,500 short of enough hotels.

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

Nope.  

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/football/article42965985.html

meanwhile, down the road in Atlanta 

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Getting back on target the tower is rising .    And yes I do think we will get a Super Bowl in the future but the NFL is some turmoil now so they are probably going to stick with tried and true locations.   Today. 

Like the locations where the power goes out in the middle of the game ;)

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that the weather is a big factor in Charlotte not hosting the Super Bowl.  It usually goes to warm weather cities in Fl., Az., Ca., or N.O., with the exception of cold cities with a dome.

It gets cold in Charlotte in Jan and Feb.  

Bingo! Nobody wants to go fly somewhere that it is cold and Charlotte IS often cold in January and February. The only reason Minneapolis is getting the Super Bowl this year is as a reward for building a new domed stadium and to show it off to the world. After that, I doubt the NFL will return. Only 15 cities have hosted the Super Bowl and 82% of the Super Bowl's have been hosted by just 7 warm cities (Miami 11 times, New Orleans 10 times, Los Angeles 8 times, Tampa 5 times, San Diego 3 times, Phoenix 3 times, and Houston 3 times). All warm or moderate typically in January compared to Charlotte. 

Who hasn't hosted the Super Bowl: Seattle, Denver, Kansas City, Chicago, Washington DC, Boston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, etc..... all cold or freezing cities in the winter. Many of these cities have plenty of hotel rooms (Washington DC, Seattle, Chicago, Boston, etc...) so clearly hotel rooms isn't the only reason you get a Super Bowl. It is either A.) nice winter weather or B.) build a dome / new stadium and get rewarded by the NFL 

• Like 2

Don’t think they will let anything impede the skyline view from the stadium

Um, who’s they? They panthers aren’t going to impede development because of the view. If anything they should be nervous about losing all the parking in southend and uptown. Lincoln Harris will build whatever it wants on mint, there’s no neighbors to say no, and it’s a UMUD property. Not to mention, there’s no building that could be built that blocks the skyline. These projects will lengthen the skyline from BofA, not block it.