Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

1 minute ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Makes me wonder what the average height of all new high-rise buildings currently under construction in Manhattan is... :P

I wish the person who tries to take that task on good luck. So much construction its nuts.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

haha for those of us who knew about it behind the scenes it was a long drawn out process of waiting to blow our load and put it on the internet, you know what I mean @Jayvee. lol

I have no doubt that there was a lengthy behind-the-scenes process. I'm glad they did good at keeping it private, though. There's nothing more annoying than premature announcements that leave you teased for years and years (see: Tryon Place). The suspense is what kills. They eliminated that factor for those of us NOT in-the-know. I can appreciate that fact. Announcements are nice and exciting, but only if there's the chance of following through.

• Like 1

• dubone changed the title to Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)
On 2/23/2018 at 1:37 PM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I may be wrong on this, but after the completion of this building, Charlotte will have 9 out of 10 tallest skyscrapers in the North Carolina.  Pushed out #10 which was the old Walcovia/Wells building in Winston-Salem @ 460ft.  Only building outside of Charlotte to crack the top 10 is the PNC tower in Raleigh 538 ft.  

What about the new one being built in Durham? Can't remember the name

39 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

That would be One City Center a great new building in downtown Durham but it is only 296 feet but it does tower over downtown Durham. It is parking on top of office space but then many of its 26 floors are residential thus much shorter height. https://www.onecitycenter.com/     

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Yeah, One City Center. It’s tiny compared to Charlotte buildings. It just looks big because it’s the only thing above 5ft in Durham. I don’t even think it would crack the top 15 if it were in Charlotte.

• Like 4

Yeah, One City Center. It’s tiny compared to Charlotte buildings. It just looks big because it’s the only thing above 5ft in Durham. I don’t even think it would crack the top 15 if it were in Charlotte.

To put it into perspective, Charlotte has more buildings over 300 feet than Raleigh and Durham have over 200 combined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 2/23/2018 at 2:20 PM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Makes me wonder what the average height of all new high-rise buildings currently under construction in Manhattan is... :P

Currently, there are 23 buildings under construction (UC) in NYC that are expected to rise to a height of at lest 600 feet (183 meters) or at least 50 stories. 

•  23 UC towers in NYC   --  Totaling  22,179 feet  /  6760.16 meters high. 
  • Average height of UC towers in NYC  =  964.40 feet  /  293.92 meters

By way of comparison, there are 6 UC buildings in Charlotte that are planned to rise at least 180 feet (55 m) or at least 15 floors.

• 6 UC towers in Charlotte  --  Totaling 2,047 feet  /  623.93 meters
  • Average height of UC towers in Charlotte  =  341.17 feet  /  103.99 meters 

Links:

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_New_York_City  (page last edited on 02/26/2018)

(2)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Charlotte,_North_Carolina  (page last edited on 02/23/2018)

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

If you take just the top 10 it’s something like average height of 1230’. Simply amazing. 

Impressive, even given NYC's size. Chicago's building, but can no longer keep up in supertalls: https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/high-rise-tower-skyscraper-construction-map

I'm not pining for the day when Charlotte's like either of those. Legacy Union suits Uptown just fine.